Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Food Truck Regulations in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Food Truck Regulations in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author

susank

The lottery program in Boston has been pretty effective. Personally with Columbus weather I don’t see that great of a threat to downtown restaurants. Sure I would occasionaly grab a quick bite at a food truck, but the alternate to that is often eating at my desk.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/downtown/2013/01/hold_food_truck_vendors_ready.html

FoodFort
    Participant

This discussion has been great.

The response of food trucks this past weekend to the sign up and inspection (10 total, many that were not food trucks) seems to indicate that the pilot program needs some more work to be a good pilot.

The lottery system for Food Carts works decently enough and could be a model. That lottery covers three areas: Arena District, Brewery District and the Courthouse.

In Austin, food trucks helped drive traffic to underserved areas of the city and at hours and places where B&M’s were not presemt or not open (later hours, Sundays, etc.).

There is a happy medium. I am sure this can be found.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

susank said:
    The lottery program in Boston has been pretty effective. Personally with Columbus weather I don’t see that great of a threat to downtown restaurants. Sure I would occasionaly grab a quick bite at a food truck, but the alternate to that is often eating at my desk.

Sure, as a customer, it’s great to have options.

Talk to most any brick and mortar business and they’ll tell you a different story.

susank

Since food trucks have been growing in most large cities over the last decade I am wondering if there is actual data on what ‘damage’ they have caused to b&m restaurants? Obviously there is a fear of unfair competition but how real is this fear? Are there other benefits to having food trucks, like driving more traffic to the sidewalks (which might help retail) instead of bag lunches in the office? Do people headed to a food truck take note of a cafe or store on the way? I personally think the key to a vibrant downtown is getting more people wandering around outside and the ones that do might really start to like it and start sticking around a little longer.

leftovers

Sometimes I think the restaurants want to be at Easton or some other mall where competition is regulated.

JeepGirl
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Sometimes I think the restaurants want to be at Easton or some other mall where competition is regulated.

Seems more that mobile food trucks want the benefits of city-provided fixed locations in prime areas, without having to make the investments or commitments that a restaurant has to in the same area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

susank said:
    I personally think the key to a vibrant downtown is getting more people wandering around outside and the ones that do might really start to like it and start sticking around a little longer.

True. And as I said earlier, I think there’s a happy medium in there somewhere. Food trucks used strategically can be a good thing.

leftovers

nm

A possible solution is restricted hours for the spots where there may be a lot of b&m restaurants but no restrictions for more food desert type of locations. An instance like Gallery Hop, a truck can only do business from 10pm to 2am. Most restaurants aren’t open and it will not effect bars. Seems like the bars that have food stop serving by 10 pm to focus on drink service that produces better profit margins than food anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The “Mainstream Media” seems to keep implying that food trucks aren’t regulated.

“Unhappiness by food truck owners over proposed rules may thwart efforts by Columbus to regulate the fast-growing industry.”

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2013/06/03/oh–food-truck-regulations.html

News
    Participant

Columbus Struggles With Food Truck Regulations
    June 3, 2013
    by The Associated Press

Unhappiness by food truck owners over proposed rules may thwart efforts by Columbus to regulate the fast-growing industry.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/06/03/columbus-struggles-with-food-truck-regulations/

News
    Participant

Young U.S. Food Trucks Hitting Road Bumps
    By Gabrielle Karol
    Published June 10, 2013
    FOXBusiness

Food truck pilot programs are hitting bumps in the road across the U.S., most recently in the cities of Columbus and Boulder. Some blame a lack of communication between city officials and stakeholders for causing the programs to stall out; while others say the programs are a good start — but have a long road ahead. Meanwhile, some cities are considering whether to add more regulatory-tape for the mobile kitchens, as brick-and-mortar restaurant owners complain about their upstart competitors.

READ MORE: http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/entrepreneurs/2013/06/10/young-us-food-trucks-hitting-road-bumps/

News
    Participant

Columbus City Council Approves Food Truck Program
    June 11, 2013
    by The Associated Press

Columbus City Council has decided to let food trucks operate from specified public parking spaces under a pilot program as officials look to regulate that growing segment of food service.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/06/11/columbus-city-council-approves-food-truck-program/

leftovers

That is disappointing. I think the complaints were valid and this sounds like a half hearted attempt to make a change.

joev
    Participant

What’s disappointing? They now have public parking spaces to set up in, which they did not have before.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: