Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Council Elections 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Columbus City Council Elections 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 179 total)
  • Author

Ned23: Ginther wants to keep the all at-large Council seats so that his machine can maintain absolute power. A growing number of residents wants a Council with both at-large and ward-selected seats, in part because that arrangement is more likely to ensure a mix of membership providing checks and balances –and therefore fewer opportunities for corrupt behavior.

Ginther is opposed to the proposal and has done everything in his power to prevent a public vote on it, as if it’s his decision to make. I believe it is the residents’ decision and if Ginther had integrity he’d let the public (who he is sworn to SERVE, not DIRECT) decide for itself the type of government it wants. He is free to argue against the proposed change BUT IT’S OUR DECICION.

Today’s Dispatch has a great commentary by Bill Todd on the corrupt buddy system (aka, political machine) in city hall. Why did we allow this to happen? Are we going to take advantage of our opportunity on November 3rd to stop it?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

You posted about this in another thread already.

I recognize and respect your passion for local political reform, but hope you can show a semblance of respect for your fellow message board posters by not filling up each local political thread with the same information over and over.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>
    You need to take either take your meds or you need to be on meds so please get a mental health evaluation ASAP and no I am not kidding. This is getting ridiculous.

incestuous Coleman-Ginther political machine

Did you touch yourself when you thought of that?

Even if you are some paid shill, still get the mental health eval.

Well, well, if it isn’t the infamous “Enzyte_Bob” – Former epic Dispatch troll of many names from Delaware County. How many times were you banned from the Dispatch? Still repeating the same nonsense and I see you’ve found a new home over here on CU. You really need to change your writing style and come up with some new turns of phrase.

Listen, I hate the Dispatch with a passion and have never commented on that rag and I also do not live in Delaware County. I have no idea of whom this troll you speak of may be, but it is not me, so kick rocks, got it?

*And I have never been banned from any internet forum of any kind, actually.

WJT
    Participant

I recognize and respect your passion for local political reform, but hope you can show a semblance of respect for your fellow message board posters by not filling up each local political thread with the same information over and over.

No he won’t stop and this will just continue and basically clog up these threads and ruin any real possibility of discussion that might happen on these threads.

Bill Todd’s commentary is relevant to both threads as the Council president wants to be mayor. Nice try though.

… and Joe Sommer’s on-line comment following the commentary raises another excellent point.

News
    Participant

Press Release Via Joe Motil:
    Shannon Hardin’s Reward for Supporting Corporate Welfare

COLUMBUS, OHIO After reviewing Columbus City Council member Shannon Hardin’s Pre-General Campaign Finance Report which was submitted to the Franklin County Board of Elections yesterday, Joe Motil, Independent Write-In Candidate for the Unexpired Term Race for Columbus City Council recognized a payoff contribution to Mr. Hardin for his vote of support for a tax abatement this past summer. Shannon Hardin received a $5,000.00 contribution from Mr. Franz Geiger who according to Mr. Hardin’s finance report is the Director of NP Limited Partnership. This is Mr. Hardin’s largest contribution from any of his finance reports to date.

On July 27th of this year, Columbus City Council unanimously passed a 10 year tax abatement valued at $3,467, 919 to NP Limited Partnership. NP Limited has been developing the Polaris area for the past 28 years and has made tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars from their developments. Mr. Motil spoke against the tax abatement at the July 27th City Council meeting stating that “This is prime real estate in a prime location that has shown no signs of slowing down but to the contrary, continued growth. Developing in this part of Polaris is far from being a risk. The tax abatement before you is not needed or justified”.

Columbus property owners pay the highest property tax rate of any large city in the United States at $3.57 per $100.00 and 5th in the U.S. in overall taxes. It should be pretty obvious as to why. Motil states,” The voters and taxpayers of Columbus need to understand this is how business at City Hall has been operating for years. City Council grants a tax abatement to a millionaire developer and in return receives a fat campaign contribution at the taxpayers’ expense. Basically, the taxpayers are publically financing Mr. Hardin’s campaign”. Motil concludes, “This is legalized money laundering and should be considered a criminal act. But for the young Shannon Hardin, this is business as usual and what he has been groomed to do while working at City Hall for the past 5 years. He will soon find his way to the door as Michelle Mills did”.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Listen, I hate the Dispatch with a passion and have never commented on that rag and I also do not live in Delaware County. I have no idea of whom this troll you speak of may be, but it is not me, so kick rocks, got it?

*And I have never been banned from any internet forum of any kind, actually.

Sorry, I was talking to “Discouraged Democrat”, In fact, he used a similar name during the 2008 or 2010 elections. Some of the discussions may even still be up on the old “Topix” site. I must have clicked on the wrong post to reply and didn’t pay attention.

MRipley
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>

No he won’t stop and this will just continue and basically clog up these threads and ruin any real possibility of discussion that might happen on these threads.

I admire his/her passion towards the management of his/her city and don’t feel “disrespected” by the multiple posts at all. IF I did I would elect not to read them. Keep up the informative work DD, you make observations and points that are worthy of consideration at the voting booth.

Thanks, MRipley.

Their real problem is that the points I make are valid and they can’t dispute them. So they attack me personally and accuse me of hindering their discussion — as if I have any ability to do that. It’s the oldest trick in the book and has absolutely no impact on my desire or willingness to speak my mind.

When someone has supported politicians for a long time, it’s difficult to consider the possibility that, perhaps, his or her support has been misplaced. I remember that there were people ardently supporting Richard Nixon even as he got on the helicopter to leave Washington after his resignation. I just shook my head.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Their real problem is that the points I make are valid and they can’t dispute them.

No. My problem is not with the substance or perspective–at all.

I just don’t want to see the same information in various threads, over and over.

If a point is about the Council and its president who is running for mayor, it is relevant to both threads. Is that difficult to understand?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

It’s not just the littering of both threads with the same information, but the regurgitation of the same information over and over again in the same threads that is tiresome.

When you bring new information and new insights and new analysis, great. More of that, please.

That’s about as straightforward as I can be. I’m sorry you feel the need to lash out at anyone that challenges you, but hopefully you can understand my perspective since you continue to insist everyone else heed yours.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Moving forward, who did you vote for (or who will you vote for) and why?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE