Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Council Elections 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Columbus City Council Elections 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

What’d they offer her to be the fall guy? They’ll have to replace her with someone other than the 3 Dems currently running….

Mills is not THE fall guy, only the FIRST to fall. As chair of the development committee, with the huge amounts of private money at stake, she had many wealthy suitors trying to show their appreciation for her decisions and votes in their favor. The Indianapolis trip is the tip of the kickback iceberg and she decided to exit quietly to avoid or reduce attention to her ethical and legal difficulties. Very wise; very humble. If only the others would do the same as gifts to the city and its residents. But not likely; seems they only ACCEPT gifts. They’ll retain their swagger until the very end. Once arrogance is built up, it dissipates slowly.

Columbus has the best government money can buy and the fault lies with voters who vote based on slick PR materials rather than the facts. I hope we’re learning our lesson. Unfortunately, the bigger these scandals grow the more negative attention Columbus will get regionally and nationally. That bad press is very harmful to our economy. Do you think those planning national conferences and conventions will be eager to deal with a government entangled in ethical and legal scandal?

GeeDee
    Participant

The Dispatch reports Mills, Ginther, Paley and Hardin all took the trip to the Big Ten Championship game with Redflex lobbyist John Raphael.

I wonder how many other trips, “arranged” by lobbyists, council members take & who those parties are?

I’d also like to hear each defend their cozy relationships with corporate lobbyists without using some variation of “everybody does it” or “that’s how these things work”.

News
    Participant

Ginther Accused of Using Campaign Money to Pay for OSU Football Trip
    Updated: Fri, Aug 14 2015, 06:28 PM | Csaba Sukosd

COLUMBUS (Csaba Sukosd) — New sparks have ignited in Columbus’ mayoral race. The cause of concern: candidate Andrew Ginther’s trip to the Big Ten Championship game late last year. Ginther hasn’t talked about the matter, but his campaign manager Bryan Clark did.

READ MORE: http://www.abc6onyourside.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Ginther-Accused-of-Using-Campaign-Money-to-Pay-for-OSU-Football-Trip-185605.shtml#.Vc-_rHjY020

Great editorial in today’s Dispatch, “Cloud over city hall grows larger”, includes old, old news to many of us. Jonathan Beard has been trying for years to help people understand that Columbus’s one-party machine is corrupt, inbred, non-responsive, vindictive, and just plain arrogant (correction: full of swagger). (Perhaps it took new ownership at the Dispatch to see that word reaches a larger audience.) As sad and thoroughly disappointing as is the state of affairs in city hall, THERE IS GOOD NEWS. In November, we can vote make our voices heard loud and clear and replace with new blood and new ideas these “representatives” who have pursued their own political and financial interests far more than the public interest.

And, please, don’t allow the city hall machine to fool you with the NAME GAME. They selected Ms. Brown to replace Mills on the ballot because Brown is a very well-known political name in Ohio and they hope people will pull the lever for her because she sounds familiar. She would not have been selected if they thought she’d exercise independent thought, for independent thought is a crime in city hall, punishable by political death. Just ask Rich Sensenbrenner.

We can keep Columbus from becoming the poster child for bad government, BUT WE HAVE TO EDUCATE OUSELVES AND VOTE! And by educate ourselves, I don’t mean simply look at the glossy mailings and slick TV ads from the major parties. They provide as much helpful information as a fortune cookie, if that much.

DavidF
    Participant

Serious question that sounds snarky….

Assuming I agree that change needs to be made, who do I vote for that is capable of doing more than the current bunch has achieved?

As insular as City Hall has become, I have seen significant progress and growth in this city and I don’t want to derail that just so I can feel better about the process.

DavidF: Excellent question. Our only choices at this point are the others on the ballot and, I guess, a possible write in candidate. We cannot be sure that these people will be less corrupt, but if we find that they are corrupt, out they go by our votes or by resignation through scandal.

What we need to do now is send the strong message that we won’t tolerate politicians who pursue any interest but the public interest and who are not willing to listen to reidents. Then we need to make sure that they understand what we want to continue (progress and responsible growth) and what we would like to see modified. The Coleman/Ginther years have been dominated by one-way communication from those “on high” down to us, the little folk. We need to let the new blood know that we insist on dialog and reponsiveness in government and if they cannot operate that way, so long to them as well.

Years ago many progressives in Alabama would say that they knew Governor Wallace was a raging racist, but, gosh, he’s done so much for our state. Well for me there are some deal breakers when it comes to my support for a politician, racism and corruption happen to be two of them.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

DavidF
    Participant

DavidF: Excellent question. Our only choices at this point are the others on the ballot and, I guess, a possible write in candidate. We cannot be sure that these people will be less corrupt, but if we find that they are corrupt, out they go by our votes or by resignation through scandal.

What we need to do now is send the strong message that we won’t tolerate politicians who pursue any interest but the public interest and who are not willing to listen to reidents. Then we need to make sure that they understand what we want to continue (progress and responsible growth) and what we would like to see modified. The Coleman/Ginther years have been dominated by one-way communication from those “on high” down to us, the little folk. We need to let the new blood know that we insist on dialog and reponsiveness in government and if they cannot operate that way, so long to them as well.

Years ago many progressives in Alabama would say that they knew Governor Wallace was a raging racist, but, gosh, he’s done so much for our state. Well for me there are some deal breakers when it comes to my support for a politician, racism and corruption happen to be two of them.

I’m pretty sure you just triggered some corollary of Godwin’s Law. So any unknown is better then? I don’t want effective but corrupt, but how exactly is honest but inept any better? (and please try to restrain yourself from hyperbolic non relevant comparisons this time)

DavidF:

If corrupt government is OK by you, then you’ll have to lie in the bed you made. Unfortunately, the rest of us may have to recline there as well.

Honest but inept government is not better, that’s exactly why I said “We need to let the new blood know that we insist on dialog and reponsiveness in government and if they cannot operate that way, so long to them as well.” Two-way dialog and responsive government IS good government in my book. Plus how would we know they’re inept until we give them a chance — and the Coleman administration is chock full of cronies right now who know next to nothing about their jobs. I doubt that more ineptitude could possibly be stuffed into city buildings than is there now.

You may, just may, find that when these Columbus scandals play out fully, my Alabama comparison is neither hyperbolic nor irrelevant, but, either way I find it quite apt. Perhaps better would have been the case of Marion Berry, who was arrested, convicted, and sent to prison on crack cocaine charges — and then elected to the D.C. mayor’s office again! No, crack and corruption are not the same crimes, but sometimes we need to stretch our brains a little in order understand the applicability of an analogy. I bet you can, if you try hard enough. (You started the snarky stuff, so don’t be enraged when it comes right back at ya’.)

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

the point is there has been no discovery about new candidates due to the games played appointing people. Why are you DAvidF assuming that there are no choices other than the current cleptocrats. And why are you so convinced that these people are doing right bye you johnny citizen. This whole 20 year cycle of nepotism and power hoarding is not good for the city, saying there are no choices is an attempt to keep the die hard people on the sinking ship of fools. I guess it has to get ridiculously out of control with indictments and black eyes for the city to get through to people OH WAIT THATS ALREADY STARTED WITH THE FAILED SCHOOLS. Its lazy thinking or dumbness. take your pick but you are defending failure on the whole (INFANT DEATHS ETC>>>) with one large neighborhood that is seeing astonishing growth while the majority of the city languishes or worse.
    Walker thanks for posting the interviews

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Columbus is a city full of capable people. Up until now why would someone who is qualified run when everyone knows the fix is in. The fix has been in. This is a fact. Now hopefully transparent government can make a come back.

Let me give you an example: Ms. Brown, who is taking Ms. Mills’ place on the November ballot has reportedly been working as the MANAGER of Downtown Development in the city’s Development Department. She has lots of experience in the Democratic Party and she’s the daughter of one of Ohio’s senators in Washington. She may be very bright; I don’t know. But what experience does she have in the complicated world of downtown development and project financing? I’m curious if anyone knows. My guess is zilch. Someone please prove me wrong.

This field takes years to master. There are probably many men and women, perhaps a little older and more experienced, who could really make a difference in that position, if only they had the connections. Her placement there builds the Coleman machine certainly, but how much does it do for the residents and taxpayers?

DavidF
    Participant

DavidF:

If corrupt government is OK by you, then you’ll have to lie in the bed you made. Unfortunately, the rest of us may have to recline there as well.

Honest but inept government is not better, that’s exactly why I said “We need to let the new blood know that we insist on dialog and reponsiveness in government and if they cannot operate that way, so long to them as well.” Two-way dialog and responsive government IS good government in my book. Plus how would we know they’re inept until we give them a chance — and the Coleman administration is chock full of cronies right now who know next to nothing about their jobs. I doubt that more ineptitude could possibly be stuffed into city buildings than is there now.

You may, just may, find that when these Columbus scandals play out fully, my Alabama comparison is neither hyperbolic nor irrelevant, but, either way I find it quite apt. Perhaps better would have been the case of Marion Berry, who was arrested, convicted, and sent to prison on crack cocaine charges — and then elected to the D.C. mayor’s office again! No, crack and corruption are not the same crimes, but sometimes we need to stretch our brains a little in order understand the applicability of an analogy. I bet you can, if you try hard enough. (You started the snarky stuff, so don’t be enraged when it comes right back at ya’.)

Here’s my issue. I’ve had a long term issue with the way our city government works, but I specifically asked for alternatives and I’d like to see something more helpful “than throw the bums out”. What are the alternatives you envision? Who are the candidates you would endorse? You are quick to piss all over everything, but what are your specific solutions to the problem? I want to see something constructive.

As far as snark goes, you could really use some lessons. That’s some weak sauce.

DavidF
    Participant

Let me give you an example: Ms. Brown, who is taking Ms. Mills’ place on the November ballot has reportedly been working as the MANAGER of Downtown Development in the city’s Development Department. She has lots of experience in the Democratic Party and she’s the daughter of one of Ohio’s senators in Washington. She may be very bright; I don’t know. But what experience does she have in the complicated world of downtown development and project financing? I’m curious if anyone knows. My guess is zilch. Someone please prove me wrong.

This field takes years to master. There are probably many men and women, perhaps a little older and more experienced, who could really make a difference in that position, if only they had the connections. Her placement there builds the Coleman machine certainly, but how much does it do for the residents and taxpayers?

Better. I’d still like to hear who you support.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: