Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Council Elections 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Columbus City Council Elections 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Moving forward, who did you vote for (or who will you vote for) and why?

You go first. ;)

MRipley
    Participant

It’s not just the littering of both threads with the same information, but the regurgitation of the same information over and over again in the same threads that is tiresome.

When you bring new information and new insights and new analysis, great. More of that, please.

That’s about as straightforward as I can be. I’m sorry you feel the need to lash out at anyone that challenges you, but hopefully you can understand my perspective since you continue to insist everyone else heed yours.

Doesn’t appear that you’re challenging DD on anything, just griping about his/her forum activity.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Doesn’t appear that you’re challenging DD on anything, just griping about his/her forum activity.

That’s correct.

As to the folks/issues for whom I voted, I voted for the candidates best situated to bring positive change to the city, and voted for the Zoo and ADAMH levies, and voted for Issue 1 and against Issue 3.

MichaelC: When you call my ideas “littering regurgitation” and call your’s “straightforward perspective”, your bias is clear. As a matter of fact, I almost always post when there’s a “new” news story or an editorial or letter to the editor in the Dispatch. A common theme is my disapproval of the City Hall pay-to-play corruption and the incestuous political machine that punishes loyal dissent. That’s my analysis based on my considerable insight and experience and I have a right to express it as often as I deem appropriate — which is about a quarter of the times I’m tempted to. As MRipley said, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. The private messages and public posts I’ve received demonstrate some people approve of my contributions a great deal.

When you say that I am somehow preventing discussion, that’s just laughable. Anyone who wants to post can anytime. Neither you nor I could stop them even if we wanted to. The fact is that, as opposed to last summer when the scandals first broke in the news, very few people are publicly defending Coleman, Ginther, and their disciples. And for good reason. Maybe that’s the explanation for the lack of discussion you bemoan.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I have never called your ideas “littering regurgitation.” I have also never said my posts were of a “straighforward perspective.” And where did I say you were “preventing discussion”?

I will reach out to you via PM so we don’t continue to litter this thread.

MichaelC: Well, stop griping and post what you want and ignore what you don’t want to read. This isn’t your site, your thread or your city. It’s nice to share.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

So the Dispatch has published a story on the GOP’s plan for city council to adopt a ward system.

I would publish more than just a link, but the Dispatch paywall limits my ability to actually read the article.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

So the Dispatch has published a story on the GOP’s plan for city council to adopt a ward system.

I would publish more than just a link, but the Dispatch paywall limits my ability to actually read the article.

try private browsing or delete cookies

http://www.dispatch.com/content/graphics/2015/10/27/citycouncildistricts.jpg

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hrm. Some of the areas are so vastly spread out, I have to question how effective they would be in providing true neighborhood representation beyond what a full At Large system already provides. I live in what would be defined as District 1, and the representative serving that area would not only serve my neighborhood (KLD) but also the far north end of North Linden and the Livingston Avenue area south of Whitehall. Very different neighborhoods with different needs. District 8 is even more spread out.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

have you noticed how spread out our city is?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’m undecided on this issue, but I have to wonder with districts as spread out as the proposed, if it would only suffer from a lesser degree of the same general problem that they’re trying to solve.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yup. Time to carve off some of those outerlying edges and hand them over to the burbs.

A Dispatch article says that the Republicans and Dimitrious Stanley have released a map of wards for the city to replace the all at-large system now in place — an idea opposed by Ginther and the Democratic City Council as if it is their decision rather than ours.

I am not sure of the details, but this seems to be a very risky thing to do a week before the election. I hope that they make clear that the map is not final and can be adjusted so that neighborhoods people identify closely with are not divided into two or more wards. Some people might vote against those in favor of wards because they find something objectionable about the map, like a ward boundary they believe should be “here” rather than over “there”. And hopefully all wards have approximately the same number of residents.

In this very hot political environment, I would expect Ginther and his minions to pounce on each and every problem in the Republican map. Hopefully, I give them too much credit.

MRipley
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>

Yup. Time to carve off some of those outerlying edges and hand them over to the burbs.

Interesting thought. Why do you advocate that?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>

Mayor Sensenbrenner just turned over in his grave!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: