Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus-Chicago Passenger Rail

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus-Chicago Passenger Rail

• This topic has 247 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by SteveSteve.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 248 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

Well… I have little doubt that it will happen some day. Just not sure what decade.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Personally I’d be a lot more excited about a train to Chicago than a train to Cleveland..

Unfortunately there’s almost no information in this article. Some unknown person/people envision a train going from Columbus to Ft. Wayne to Chicago? OK.. I’m sure there are also people who envision a bridge across the Atlantic.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

rus said:
    I see that rail advocates have suggested this route, but what’s the odds of it actually happening?

Long odds while Kasich is governor. After 2014, if he loses, who knows?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    Personally I’d be a lot more excited about a train to Chicago than a train to Cleveland.

A train between Columbus and Cleveland should be equally as inevitable, given all of the NE Ohio expats who live in Central Ohio, myself included. I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland/Akron isn’t a terrible drive, but it would be nice to kick back and relax or get some work done instead of driving.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

yeah, didn’t mean that in a we-shouldn’t-have-one-to-Cleveland way.. From what I hear the drive between Columbus and Cleveland around a holiday is miserable.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    yeah, didn’t mean that in a we-shouldn’t-have-one-to-Cleveland way.. From what I hear the drive between Columbus and Cleveland around a holiday is miserable.

The worst bottleneck by far is the two lane stretch from the northern half of Delaware County to the Morrow County/Richland County border, although it looks like they are finally widening it to three lanes so that should help somewhat.

Incidentally, the best stop between Columbus and Cleveland is the GOASIS station off the Ashland/US 250 exit. Nothing like stopping there on Christmas Eve and finding the place jammed full of last minute shoppers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NEOBuckeye said:
    The worst bottleneck by far is the two lane stretch from the northern half of Delaware County to the Morrow County/Richland County border, although it looks like they are finally widening it to three lanes so that should help somewhat.

And the best part is that the highway widening is absolutely free! ;)

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    And the best part is that the highway widening is absolutely free! ;)

It’s magic! Not only was it free, but the highway was widened overnight and not spread out over 15 years. None of this “start small and expand over time” nonsense those rail advocates recommend.

thefiercelime
    Participant

That would be awesome. Chicago is probably my favorite US city. I love New Orleans, NYC and Nashville too but Chicago can do me no wrong. Love it. Let’s make it happen!

columbusmike
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    Personally I’d be a lot more excited about a train to Chicago than a train to Cleveland..

Unfortunately there’s almost no information in this article. Some unknown person/people envision a train going from Columbus to Ft. Wayne to Chicago? OK.. I’m sure there are also people who envision a bridge across the Atlantic.

This route has been studied to death for about 15 years. There’s pretty minimal track upgrades, all the mentioned cities are well onboard, and it’s predicted to have heavy ridership. Hopefully they can hurry up and get it going sooner rather than later.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

That would be great! And although the 3C rail sounds more like a natural starting place, the longer route might actually be the more useful/appealing one, since it’s a much more taxing and expensive drive.

dubdave00
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    This route has been studied to death for about 15 years. There’s pretty minimal track upgrades, all the mentioned cities are well onboard, and it’s predicted to have heavy ridership. Hopefully they can hurry up and get it going sooner rather than later.

I’m interested… Are any of those studies public anywhere?

mrmann

Holding my breath, but imaging others are taking dibs on it…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Overwhelmingly popular with the Facebook crowd:

I wish Columbus had a train station. You would think it would be a lock as a “gateway to the west”. Besides, I could go to Brooklyn for New Year’s and sleep it off in my car on the way home..

I could go to Texas without going through Chicago…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 248 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: