Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus-Chicago Passenger Rail

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus-Chicago Passenger Rail

• This topic has 247 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by SteveSteve.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 248 total)
  • Author

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    I’m not a total expert on rolling stock, but for some reason I thought commuter rail gauge was different than Amtrak and freight gauge.

I’m not sure of the specifics, but I know that for Boston’s MBTA, commuter rail and Amtrak share many of the same rail lines. Amtrak trains to Worcester, Providence, and Portland all overlap commuter rail lines (on the same track) for parts, if not all, of the routes.

peanutnozone
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    I’m not a total expert on rolling stock, but for some reason I thought commuter rail gauge was different than Amtrak and freight gauge.

I can confirm that for Maryland, our commuter rail MARC shares track with Amtrak trains, both in Baltimore and in DC environs, and on the Virginia side, their commuter VRE shares track with Amtrak as well. Not sure this is universal, but it has been a pain as the local transit entities have to rent the track from Amtrak, and that made it difficult to establish weekend service (and we finally did, thank GOD) but it was yet another barrier.

News
    Participant

MORPC Exploring Feasibility of Chicago-Columbus High Speed Rail
    Published on November 21, 2013 11:05 am
    By: Walker

As it turns out, a change.org petition is sometimes all it takes to make some changes.

In October, we reported that local alternative transportation advocacy group Transit Columbus had published an online petition to encourage the Mid Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) to further explore the feasibility of a new high speed rail corridor running from Columbus to Chicago.

The group has managed to collect over 5,100 signatures (and still counting) and today, they received a response from MORPC.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/morpc-exploring-feasibility-of-chicago-columbus-high-speed-rail

bjones7
    Participant

Congrats Transit Columbus!

Geno99
    Participant

Well, I guess “exploring the feasibility” is better than nothing. I’m really tired of just exploring feasibilities, tho.

News
    Participant

Columbus To Chicago High Speed Rail Proposal Picks Up Steam
    Posted: Nov 21, 2013 5:55 PM EST
    By: Denise Yost, Multimedia Content Manager

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A plan to give people a new high speed option for traveling from Columbus to Chicago is picking up steam. The idea is about a rail line that connects Ohio with the Windy City, and it’s now one step closer to reality.

READ MORE: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/24038146/plan-for-high-speed-rail-from-columbus-to-chicago

tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

Looks like this project is gaining more support. Its exciting seeing these steps being taken.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/Passenger-Rail-On-Track-For-Environmental-Study-235339921.html

I was going through a couple of items in our digital collection today and thought this image from our Ohio Transportation collection was pretty interesting considering how most of the arguments for/against rail are mostly about if tax money is spent wisely on the projects. It looks like they were having the same arguments in 1910. Funny how some things never change.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Any movement on this effort?

bjones7
    Participant

If you Google Chicago-Columbus High Speed and sort by recent dates, you will see a lot of cities/towns that are on the route having town hall meetings about the rail line. Most of the articles I’ve seen are in favor of the line. I’m sure that its been hard for any surveying of the route due to the harsh winter. In true Ohio fashion I would think that Illinois and Indiana would be “On Bored” way before Ohio.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

NIPRA (in Fort Wayne), All Aboard Ohio, and Transit Columbus have been and are continuing to work both in front and behind the scenes to help move this project forward. Several governments in the Ft. Wayne area are in the process of allocating funds for the environmental study and we’re also in the process of doing the same in Columbus.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Amozing. I really hope this continues to move forward and something is accomplished. I would be on this train probably at minimum once a month just for fun.

News
    Participant

Rail Advocate Optimistic About Columbus to Chicago High Speed Line
    May 15, 2014 8:00 am – Brent Warren

Fred Lanahan, President of the Northeast Indiana Passenger Rail Association – the organization that spearheaded the original study – will be speaking at All Aboard Ohio’s annual meeting on May 17 in Gahanna. We reached out to Lanahan to see if he could provide some background on the proposal, the role that different stakeholders are playing in the effort, and his thoughts on the next steps needed to take the idea from dream to reality.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/rail-advocate-optimistic-about-columbus-to-chicago-high-speed-line-bw1

tk3000
    Participant

It would take around 10 years to build a rail system linking Columbus to Chicago. In 10 years time I may not be living in Columbus aynome, or may not even alive (who knows). The Chinese could build a to notch real bullet train system larger than that of Japan and Germany in only 7 (seven) year, and over here to build such a short track of rail that is nowhere even close to bullet train speeds would take about 10 years; that is really sad…

The argument that China has more power over its population does not hold much bearing… If the post-war Germany would take 10 years to build a small track of trains, probably most of the German cities would still be in ruins by now. Besides the size, complexity, cost, and legalities of building the freeway system in the USA (with multiple lanes, gigantic overpasses, etc) far surpasses that of building a fast rail system

To make things worse, the cost of air-travel within the US is in all time high (during the heyday of airtravel [up to mid 90s] one could easily find a round trip airfare from New York to Los Angeles for less than $100). Comparatively, I can fly in mostly any other country throughout the world for a fraction (3 times less) of the price that I would fly in the US for equivalent distances; interesting enough it used to be the opposite (much cheaper to travel within the US.) Guess an alternative fast rail system would also introduce a viable alternative of transportation and some healthy competition.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It would take around 10 years to build a rail system linking Columbus to Chicago. In 10 years time I may not be living in Columbus aynome, or may not even alive (who knows).

So are you saying we shouldn’t build it?

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 248 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: