Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus-Chicago Passenger Rail

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus-Chicago Passenger Rail

• This topic has 247 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by SteveSteve.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 248 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Advocates For Passenger Rail Back Proposed Columbus-Chicago Link

July 24, 2012

by Tom Borgerding

89.7 NPR News Managing Editor

Advocates for passenger rail service in Columbus are backing a proposal to start Columbus to Chicago service through Lima and Fort Wayne, Indiana. Ken Prendergast of All Aboard Ohio, says Fort Wayne civic leaders envision 110 mile per hour passenger trains would run daily from Columbus to Chicago and back.

“And that’s what we call kind of a ‘toe in the water’ approach to introducing passenger rail service to a region that has not had it in a long time.” Says Prendergast

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/07/24/advocates-for-passenger-rail-back-proposed-columbus-chicago-link/

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Ok, here we go with train discussions.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Ooooooo. For a reasonable fare I’d be happy to hit Chicago without having to drive or fly, then not having a vehicle to worry about when I’m there. Man that could be a CU excursion.

kit444
    Participant

I would love this route as well, as it’s my most frequent destination, but it seems like a random pairing of cities.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

kit444 said:
    Seems like a random pairing of cities.

Why’s that? Looks like a lot of existing Amtrak routes line up in an East-West configuration.

kit444
    Participant

Walker said:
    Why’s that? Looks like a lot of existing Amtrak routes line up in an East-West configuration.

It seems like the 3C connection is more natural starting point. I’m not complaining about it. Please, someone hook us up by train to Chicago.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

kit444 said:
    It seems like the 3C connection is more natural starting point. I’m not complaining about it. Please, someone hook us up by train to Chicago.

I agree. I think Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland are a natural pairing for passenger rail service. Large populated regions all sharing the same state.

But yeah, I wouldn’t mind also being connected to Chicago in one direction and Pittsburgh (and beyond) in the other.

Graybeak
    Participant

I wonder the travel time and what the fare will be.
    Looks like megabus makes it for about $49 in between 6.5-8.5 hours.
    Not sure if that is reasonable or not.

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    But yeah, I wouldn’t mind also being connected to Chicago in one direction and Pittsburgh (and beyond) in the other.

The “beyond” sounds pretty interesting. Pittsburgh for instance is not serviced by CMH, so I can see this being a popular route.

columbusmike
    Participant

Whether or not you are for rail, this could be a reasonable (low cost) test to see if further rail spending should be pursued.

b_horseman
    Participant

I think it’s a great idea!

GCrites80s
    Participant

For 3C fans, notice that this does have 2 of the Cs. Once people in Ohio get used to passenger rail again the 3rd C might fall into place pretty easily.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

geoyui said:
    The “beyond” sounds pretty interesting. Pittsburgh for instance is not serviced by CMH, so I can see this being a popular route.

Indeed. It might be very popular, as the train from Pitt is a sweet way to get to Penn Station, Manhattan where bringing a car with you is actually expensive and detrimental to having a good time. Also Philly, DC, and Boston.

Chicago is Amtrak’s gateway to the western and the NOLA route. It would be really cool to be able to easily transfer to those routes from here.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Pretty bad when Columbus, WI has an Amtrak station and we don’t. Anyways, a train to Chicago would come in handy for me once or twice a year. The last time I drove, gas and parking set me back roughly $215, plus another 700 miles on my odometer. Seeing as though a trip from Cleveland to Chicago costs about $110, a Columbus route should not be much more. I’d gladly pay about half of what I spend to drive there. I never need my car when I get there anyway. Also, to say that we had a high speed route to Chicago would be a nice economic incentive for the city.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I see that rail advocates have suggested this route, but what’s the odds of it actually happening?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 248 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: