Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Centralized Traffic Signal System

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus Centralized Traffic Signal System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Original announcement via City Council Meeting Highlights:

CREATING CENTRALIZED TRAFFIC SIGNAL SYSTEM: The city is currently engaged in creating a new central traffic signal system in Columbus. Public Service and Transportation Committee Chair Hearcel F. Craig is sponsoring ordinance 0815-2010 to authorize the expenditure of $6,072,248.42 from the Federal-State Highway Engineering Fund for Phase A of the Columbus Traffic Signal System (CTSS). The project includes the installation of conduit, pull-boxes, fiber optic cable, and communication cabinets for the system’s communication network, which will provide system connectivity and interoperability for a centralized control system of all Columbus traffic signals. Phase A will also allow for an inter-agency data exchange for the Departments of Public Service and Technology, as part of the citywide connectivity goal.

More via Dispatch:

No more traffic jams?

Friday, June 25, 2010

BY COLLIN BINKLEY

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Drivers stuck in traffic won’t be seeing red for long. That’s the goal of a proposed $36.8 million project that would connect Columbus’ 1,000 traffic lights to a central command station. Then, traffic engineers could adjust the timing of lights throughout the city whenever they see crashes or other problems that could snarl traffic.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/06/25/no-more-traffic-jams.html?sid=101

Lakee911
    Participant

Cool!

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This is going to do far more in terms of reducing congestion and greenhouse gas emissions than adding lanes ever will. A very good investment indeed.

nexttuesday
    Participant

Very nice. Hopefully this includes the ability to turn all lights red for emergency vehicles to pass. I’ve always been jealous of other cities that have it.

anillo
    Participant

So with this if a disgruntled traffic engineer wanted to go out with a bang, he could make all the lights go red at once? (or even worse, green)

Even better I would bet anything that the control system will be connected to the internet. One small step for man. One giant leap for Skynet. While I’m at it we shouldn’t forget to reference 1984 too… Big Brother!!! (I couldn’t think of anything else…)

Despite the fact that I can foresee some kid hacking into the system to turn all the lights green wherever he goes, I think the idea is otherwise good. I’m sure I’ll benefit quite a bit. Especially since I never hear the sirens in time to pull over.

dagr8tim

Great, so central traffic management can tweak the timing of lights where there are red light camera’s on the fly to increase even more revenue?

@radicaledward101 In alot of cities, the red light camera’s talk to a windows XP computer via Wifi using WEP encryption. WEP can be broken in under 2 minutes.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

This is awesome! Will ODOT or the city run the main station and were will the location be?

rus
    rus
    Participant

dagr8tim wrote >>
    Great, so central traffic management can tweak the timing of lights where there are red light camera’s on the fly to increase even more revenue?
    @radicaledward101 In alot of cities, the red light camera’s talk to a windows XP computer via Wifi using WEP encryption. WEP can be broken in under 2 minutes.

Could get interesting…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE