Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Casino to Only Hire Non-Smokers

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Casino to Only Hire Non-Smokers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #89719

    News
    Participant

    Only Non-Smokers Need Apply To West Side Casino

    January 6, 2012

    by Mandie Trimble

    89.7 NPR News Reporter

    The West Side casino that’s expected to bring a couple thousand jobs to Columbus has automatically narrowed its job applicant pool by about one-fifth. Each job opening at the West Side casino has a different skill set and qualification except for one criterion: applicants must be non-smokers.

    Bob Tenenbaum speaks for Penn National Gaming which owns the casino as well as one in Toledo expected to open this year. Tenenbaum said the Ohio casinos will be smoke-free.

    READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/01/06/only-non-smokers-need-apply-to-west-side-casino/

    #475806
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Cue the Dispatch sending smokers into apply then filing a discrimination suit.

    #475807
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    I thought smoking habits was something that was allowed to be discriminated against by employers? I’ve heard of other places around the country with nonsmoking policies.

    #475808
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Walker said:
    I thought smoking habits was something that was allowed to be discriminated against by employers? I’ve heard of other places around the country with nonsmoking policies.

    Sure, but now you’re using logic. Remember, we’re talking about the company who chased away an Arena Casino because of their property interests there…so they bought property by the new location and filed suit there too.

    #475809
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Coremodels said:
    Sure, but now you’re using logic. Remember, we’re talking about the company who chased away an Arena Casino because of their property interests there…so they bought property by the new location and filed suit there too.

    The Dispatch Group filed suit in an effort to get the West Side Casino annexed into Columbus. Which happened.

    Now that it’s under construction and on track for opening, what reason would they have in giving them issues with hiring employees? Not sure I’m following you…

    #475810
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Walker said:
    The Dispatch Group filed suit in an effort to get the West Side Casino annexed into Columbus. Which happened.

    Now that it’s under construction and on track for opening, what reason would they have in giving them issues with hiring employees? Not sure I’m following you…

    The Dispatch Group has basically extorted whatever they want from Penn National from start to finish. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the next tool in the box they use to try to get something more.

    #475811

    GCrites80s
    Participant

    This is so un-Vegas.

    #475812

    cheap
    Member

    i cant see all 4 casinos making money

    i bet a couple will bite the dust

    hopefully,the Columbus casino will be one of them

    #475813

    NerosNeptune
    Participant

    GCrites80s said:
    This is so un-Vegas.

    agreed. casinos are about debauchery.

    and, as i’ve similarly wondered when it comes to life insurance, how can they know you smoke? is it ok if you smoke every few months, or if you only smoke at home? if i am a smoker and want to apply for a job there, i just say i don’t smoke.

    i guess if nothing else this prevents anyone from taking a smoke break.

    #475814
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    cheap said:
    i cant see all 4 casinos making money

    Plus, several others outside the state that are closer for some Ohio cities.

    Plus slot machines coming to multiple race track locations.

    There’s going to be a pretty big saturation of legalized gambling in the next two years.

    #475815

    GreatOutdoors
    Participant

    NerosNeptune said:

    … how can they know you smoke? is it ok if you smoke every few months, or if you only smoke at home? if i am a smoker and want to apply for a job there, i just say i don’t smoke.

    A saliva, blood, or urine test can detect nicotine — there’s some variability, but levels are fairly distinct between a daily tobacco user, someone who quit within a few weeks, and someone exposed to secondhand smoke. If this is for insurance purposes (reducing health care costs), I would assume they’re mainly targeting daily users.

    #475816

    GCrites80s
    Participant

    NerosNeptune said:
    agreed. casinos are about debauchery.

    and, as i’ve similarly wondered when it comes to life insurance, how can they know you smoke? is it ok if you smoke every few months, or if you only smoke at home? if i am a smoker and want to apply for a job there, i just say i don’t smoke.

    i guess if nothing else this prevents anyone from taking a smoke break.

    Back when I was an investment adviser, we asked “Have you smoked a cigarette in the past year?” when doing their questionnaire. If they said yes, they were considered a smoker.

    #475817
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    GreatOutdoors said:
    A saliva, blood, or urine test can detect nicotine — there’s some variability, but levels are fairly distinct between a daily tobacco user, someone who quit within a few weeks, and someone exposed to secondhand smoke. If this is for insurance purposes (reducing health care costs), I would assume they’re mainly targeting daily users.

    Can that test tell the difference between smoking cigarettes and other forms of nicotine, such as chewing tobacco, or the use of the patch or nicotine gum to help wean people from smoking? Was a topic of conversation at dinner tonight… ;)

    #475818

    cheap
    Member

    this ban is the kind of bullshit you see employers get away with in states that have “at will” labor laws.

    #475819

    GreatOutdoors
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Can that test tell the difference between smoking cigarettes and other forms of nicotine, such as chewing tobacco, or the use of the patch or nicotine gum to help wean people from smoking? Was a topic of conversation at dinner tonight… ;)

    From what I understand, the test detects the metabolite of nicotine (cotinine), so any nicotine consumption, including chewing tobacco, patches, gum, etc, will result in a positive test. I don’t know if patches, etc. result in a lower level — but if it’s meant to replace the amount you get in a cigarette, I would guess the test would make you look like a smoker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: