Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Share Systems in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bike Share Systems in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 496 total)
  • Author

JAL
    Participant

Nice- 3 new stations in addition to the 8 new ones they announce this summer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/05/15/ohio-state-bringing-2-cogo-bike-share-stations-to.html

News
    Participant

11 New CoGo Stations Coming in July
    June 19, 2015 1:35 pm – Walker Evans

The CoGo Bike Share system is expanding. A total of 11 new stations are expected to be added this year, bringing the grand total up to 41, which is more than what was previously reported back in March.

“We were able to squeeze in three more stations to the order, which we’re really happy about,” said Brad Westall, Greenways Planner for The City of Columbus. “That means two more stations will be installed around OSU’s campus and the third we were able to obtain through a Columbus Public Health Department grant to serve a low income high and high health risk area.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/11-new-cogo-stations-coming-in-july

Ben
    Participant

The 11 new CoGo stations will start installation within the next few weeks and are expected to be operational just after the 4th of July.

Are they not each going online individually as they’re installed?

Very glad to see the Land Grant, Weinland Park and Vic Village locations.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Most of the new stations are installed and operational. This includes all the OSU area ones but 17th and High. Its already making a huge difference for me personally. Columbus is exactly the type of city where this kind of a system can work really well in that various nodes and attractions are close but not quite close enough to walk.

The addition of the OSU area as well as Franklinton makes a huge difference for me!

Also- somewhat selfishly, I hope that a station is added near Hudson and Summit for when the protected bike lane comes online this fall.

welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

Saw a couple of the shiny new stations on a ride through campus to Clintonville. Nice to see CoGo really picking up, I’ve been considering getting a membership for when friends and family visit. Hoping their next expansion plan includes Grandview!

heresthecasey
    Participant

+1

Loving the new station locations already. Makes the entire system much much more useful. Looking forward to more in the coming years. (Clintonville, Grandview, Merion Village please!)

ohbr
    Participant

Isn’t there an issue with them coming to Grandview being another government entity? I would think Grandview would have to approve it like Columbus and pay for whatever portion the city is responsible for. That is if they don’t do an open bid and end up with a different company like OSU.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Isn’t there an issue with them coming to Grandview being another government entity? I would think Grandview would have to approve it like Columbus and pay for whatever portion the city is responsible for. That is if they don’t do an open bid and end up with a different company like OSU.

Columbus could put them on 3rd at Grandview Ave and by the Giant Eagle and allow for access to much of Grandview proper.

underhound
    Participant

Love the fact that they’er continuing to roll this out!

bayrea
    Participant

Has anyone seen the new one in Weinland Park on 4th by the elementary school? Someone is going to die. It’s just sitting out in the middle of the left hand lane with some orange cones around it. I assume this it’s not completely done and there will be some changes.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

What do you mean it’s just sitting out in the middle of the left hand lane? It is in the parking lane, just like many other stations.

I think it is curious that they would install it just weeks before Summit and Fourth are slated to get new pavement. It must be fairly easy to remove the station.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

What do you mean it’s just sitting out in the middle of the left hand lane? It is in the parking lane, just like many other stations.

I think most of the on-street stations are on less busy side-streets, right?

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

Yes, looking at the station map it seems like the majority are on side-streets, and most are actually on sidewalks it seems. The one at Neil and King is in the right parking lane on Neil, which is comparably busy (within 3,000 AADT of N. 4th Street at E. 6th Ave.). Obviously we all agree that it is a sad state of affairs when cyclists and pedestrians have to fear for their lives on a residential neighborhood street like N. 4th.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Yes, looking at the station map it seems like the majority are on side-streets, and most are actually on sidewalks it seems. The one at Neil and King is in the right parking lane on Neil, which is comparably busy (within 3,000 AADT of N. 4th Street at E. 6th Ave.). Obviously we all agree that it is a sad state of affairs when cyclists and pedestrians have to fear for their lives on a residential neighborhood street like N. 4th.

I live a few houses over from the one on Neil, and it looks a little odd, but usually traffic isn’t going super fast in the area. I would, however, be nervous if it’s setup on the same way on 4th St.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

There are major changes coming down the pipeline for 4th & Summit… My guess is that these will help considerably.
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/where-would-you-put-12-miles-of-bike-lanes-downtown/page/15/#post-1067000

http://universityarea.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Summit-3rdSt-4thSt_Repaving-MapsCompiled.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 496 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: