Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Share Systems in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bike Share Systems in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 496 total)
  • Author

leftovers

The only thing I can see is that bike maintenance would need to be stepped up a little. Cold weather can be hard on any equipment and the road salt doesn’t help. Regardless, I am all for them keeping it up all year.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’ve found that I can ride in temps as low as about 10 degrees F

When I rode, my limit was about 30F. After that, the wind chill on my face was nasty, and the puddles froze. More importantly, the water that was splashed out of the puddles froze on the pavement around them, which was a real danger in traffic.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

alexs said:

I’ve found that I can ride in temps as low as about 10 degrees F

When I rode, my limit was about 30F. After that, the wind chill on my face was nasty, and the puddles froze. More importantly, the water that was splashed out of the puddles froze on the pavement around them, which was a real danger in traffic.

30 is the sweet spot where I finally stop sweating!

goldenidea said:
    When it’s icy, I stay away from heavily traveled roads.

I tend to do the opposite.. I find that the main roads are the least of my worries on cold icy days. Sometimes I’ll walk/slide until I get to High St. where I can hop on and start riding. Even if the trucks haven’t hit it for awhile there is enough traffic that keeps it melted. When I lived closer to Neil I would just ride in the car tire path.

Anyway, there could be liability issues with keeping CoGo open during the winter/bad weather?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

30 is the sweet spot where I finally stop sweating!

I’d arrive at work in the landscape shop by the stadium, half cold and half hot, and I just needed time to even out.

Ah the hot rides, though … out on Delaware County back roads when the blistered blacktop sealant bubbles pop under the tires …

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NerosNeptune said:
    Anyway, there could be liability issues with keeping CoGo open during the winter/bad weather?

I wouldn’t think it would be any different whether you fell off a bike and got hurt in summer or winter.

susank

Winter usage should be up to the individual’s comfort zone. I doubt they will close it.

geoyui
    Participant

In less than a months time!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Are the technical specs on the bikes themselves available anywhere?

For example, is that a front drum brake?

News
    Participant

CoGo going well in 1st month with 10,000-plus riders (Video)
    Evan Weese
    Staff reporter – Business First

Columbus’ new CoGo bike-share system ran smoothly in its first month, meeting revenue projections and surpassing the 10,000-rider mark.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/08/cogo-going-well-in-1st-month-closing.html

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Walker said:
    I wouldn’t think it would be any different whether you fell off a bike and got hurt in summer or winter.

Considering the extra clothing one wears in cold weather, one might be slightly less likely to get injured during cold weather. Granted, ice and snow are dangerous.

My most recent tumble happened on a cold day when I was peddling as fast as I could on Third St (probably going 20 mph). My rear wheel locked up and I ended up going over my handlebars. I landed on my backpack and tumbled. I was so bundled up that my helmet never even touched the pavement. I was lucky, but being bundled up in a parka and a fleecy and snow pants helped soften the impact.

joev
    Participant

For as few icy road days as we have in Columbus, I don’t think the system would be out of commission for too many days.

Graybeak
    Participant

joev said:
    For as few icy road days as we have in Columbus, I don’t think the system would be out of commission for too many days.

Well thanks Joe, we shall now have the “Storm of the Century” this year with the harshest winter anyone has seen in the living memory of Columbus.

joev
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Well thanks Joe, we shall now have the “Storm of the Century” this year with the harshest winter anyone has seen in the living memory of Columbus.

Don’t worry. I knocked on wood. And we already had the storm of the century in like 2007 or 2008, right? We’re good till 2100 now.

myliftkk
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    Considering the extra clothing one wears in cold weather, one might be slightly less likely to get injured during cold weather. Granted, ice and snow are dangerous.

My most recent tumble happened on a cold day when I was peddling as fast as I could on Third St (probably going 20 mph). My rear wheel locked up and I ended up going over my handlebars. I landed on my backpack and tumbled. I was so bundled up that my helmet never even touched the pavement. I was lucky, but being bundled up in a parka and a fleecy and snow pants helped soften the impact.

Helmet-cam video or it didn’t happen ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    Helmet-cam video or it didn’t happen ;)

You run out of russian dash cam video or something?

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 496 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: