Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Share Systems in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bike Share Systems in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 496 total)
  • Author

Patch
    Participant

Walker said:
    Spotted this in German Village this morning (and called to report it). I guess someone wanted to make sure there was a bike available for their own personal use…

Since you pay for a 24 hour period, does it reserve your bike for the full 24 hours?

Or is this his/her way of reserving the bike that they paid for?

Just wondering. At $10/day I doubt they were trying to “reserve” it, but who knows.

mbeaumont
    Participant

You don’t reserve an individual bike, you reserve the service. And there are always multiple bikes available. I think someone was just being a tool. Or they were really confused.

allypanda

Regarding other municipalities, Boston has done this pretty successfully with other cities (Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville). Looks like each of those cities had to sign a contract. http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/cambridge/2012/04/cambridge_signs_hubway_pact_la.html
    But that was for something like two dozen stations in one city, not the one or two there would need to be in Grandview to connect it to the rest of the system.

And yes, it would be nice to see the expansion plans. I live up in Clintonville by the Park of Roses and would love love love to have a station up here. Right now, the system just seems kind of … small.

billbix

allypanda said:

And yes, it would be nice to see the expansion plans. I live up in Clintonville by the Park of Roses and would love love love to have a station up here. Right now, the system just seems kind of … small.

I am hoping they start installing stations along key parts of the bike trails. I think that could rapidly extend the system. It isn’t hard to go from downtown to Antrim Lake in 30 minutes using the Olentangy Trail.

geoyui
    Participant

Are there target numbers CoGo is looking to hit to justify expansion?

RoJoNo
    Participant

billbix said:
    I am hoping they start installing stations along key parts of the bike trails. I think that could rapidly extend the system. It isn’t hard to go from downtown to Antrim Lake in 30 minutes using the Olentangy Trail.

10 miles in 1/2 hour = 20mph avg. on a CoGo bike? I don’t think so.

leftovers

RoJoNo said:
    10 miles in 1/2 hour = 20mph avg. on a CoGo bike? I don’t think so.

Yeah, that is more than pushing it. My friend met us at Houndogs the other day on a 3 speed and he said it took him a half hour from downtown.

goldenidea
    Participant

I am hoping they start installing stations along key parts of the bike trails. I think that could rapidly extend the system.

COGO bikes are definitely being used on the trail. One afternoon a few days ago I saw a group of about 6-8 guys all riding COGOs on the OT near the Shoe. They’re a useful way for people that lack bikes to pull together a trail excursion.

susank

tdziemia
    Participant

goldenidea said:
    COGO bikes are definitely being used on the trail. One afternoon a few days ago I saw a group of about 6-8 guys all riding COGOs on the OT near the Shoe. They’re a useful way for people that lack bikes to pull together a trail excursion.

I saw a group of 5 in GV on Saturday.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I’ve seen a few CoGo bike downtown esp near the North Market. This Saturday, @geedeck and I walked to the Short North Jeni’s and saw at least 15 people on CoGo bikes. I was actually surprised at how well the service seemed to be used, and could even overhear people plotting their trips (“we could park x and grab a bike down, then take a taxi back up”, etc.,). We were really happy to see how well its taken on in our area at least.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m seeing them everywhere quite often too. I wonder how ridership will be effected as soon as the snow starts falling? ;) Thankfully, our winters haven’t been too brutal the past few years.

heresthecasey
    Participant

@Walker,

If it’s like the Hubway system in Boston, the system is deactivated in the winter and the stations themselves are removed. Last year that was from somewhere around November to March, if I’m remembering correctly.

Our winter’s in Columbus probably aren’t as severe as that though, so I’m not sure if something similar would happen here or not.

bucki12

I have biked all year in Columbus. The issue to watch out for is ice and being careful enough to avoid it. There are plenty of countries in Northern Europe who would think hibernating a bikeshare is silly especially in more temperate Columbus.

goldenidea
    Participant

I commute by bike during the winter too. Back when I started doing this, I bought a pair of motocross elbow guards for about $10 at Iron Pony. When there is even a chance of it being icy, I wear those along with my helmet and gloves. I’ve fallen twice on ice, but the elbow guards did an excellent job of breaking my fall. If you know you have that protection, you can knowingly land on one of your elbows/forearms. Without them, you don’t have a way of preventing damaging impact. When it’s icy, I stay away from heavily traveled roads. You definitely don’t want to fall in front of a car in heavy traffic. I’ve found that I can ride in temps as low as about 10 degrees F for about 45 mins. You gotta dress like you’re going skiing – a windbreak and lots of sublayers. Even with lots of wool, toes get cold first.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 496 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: