Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Area Breweries

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Area Breweries

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

So, a question for all you beer enthusiasts – where can I buy bottles, cans or growlers of locally crafted beer without resorting to driving from microbrewery to microbrewery?

Hills Market sells cans or bottles of a number of different local beers. The Kroger in German Village also has a nice local selection.

I’m certain there are other places, but that’s where I can recall seeing such a variety.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Weiland’s has a solid selection, as well.

Forget Market District, head to Ohio Tap Room or Growl! on High Street and try some Ohio beers and/or buy growlers there. Growl! (I live in Clintonville) has 1/2 price drafts from 3-7pm, M-F, and has a good collection of local brews, so you can taste them before investing in a growler’s worth.

Nancy H
    Participant

Thanks for the source suggestions!

From what I read unpasteurized beer is good for about 36 hours max after opening. So, a Growler is a reasonable amount, at about two beers per evening (three if I am doing yard work). Some reading online says you can keep an unopened growler for several weeks if you keep it cold. That sounds a bit long to me. Other discussions said 7 to 10 days. Any thoughts, comments or experience on (refrigerated) shelf life?

Being in retail, I started looking for products that remove the air from a growler in much the same way you can use CO2 to replace the air in an opened bottle of wine. Found a very nice KickStart called GrowlerWerks that will be shipping their products in October.

http://www.growlerwerks.com/products/ukeg-64-pressurized-growler

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m stunned you had that experience at the GEMG in grandview. They sell growlers at the bar all the time and actually are by far the cheapest prices I’ve seen in town.

That said… if you are looking strictly for local (ohio based) beers the selection at Ohio Tap Room is pretty much unbeatable. They also use a counter pressure filler with Co2 so your growlers will last longer if left unopened. I’m not sure I’ve ever saved one for more then a week before opening so I’m not really sure how long they will last just FYI.

As for recommendations, Hoof Hearted, Rhinegeist, Jackie o’s, Seventh son are my favorite local (to ohio) breweries. In that order.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Walker’s comment made me realize why I can not find much beyond Columbus Brewing Company and Elevator in local grocery stores. A keg is a bit much unless you are having a party or have a serious drinking problem. Growlers sounded like the answer. Giant Eagle’s Market District stores say (on their website) that they have growlers. So, last night, when I was picking up some groceries, I inquired. The employee I asked (working in the beer & wine department) sort of had this glazed expression on his face, like I had asked where they kept the aardvark feathers. So, I said “maybe I am not pronouncing the word correctly” and spelled it. He still looked dazed and confused.

A very nice late 20-something guy, who happened to be shopping in the beer department said “you are pronouncing it right, but I have never seen growlers in this store.” He pointed out their craft beer section (if you could call it that) and made some suggestions. I was in the Grandview Yard MDGE store. They did have Columbus Brewing, Elevator, and North High Brewing. I have tried CBC and Elevator, so I bought some of NH’s Milk Stout and some Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.
    [/quote]

I know the Grandview Yard Giant Eagle carries Four String and Seventh Son cans, I’ve bought both there several times.

Nancy H
    Participant

I’m stunned you had that experience at the GEMG in grandview. They sell growlers at the bar all the time and actually are by far the cheapest prices I’ve seen in town.

Being new to microbrew I didn’t realize it had such a short shelf life. So, I didn’t think to ask at the bar. I buy my regular groceries at the GEMG but don’t patronize the bar or coffee shop.

I have been investigating growler containers because I might want to sell them in my retail shop. Discovered something interesting. If you own a Soda Siphon (I own the one pictured) you already have something for keeping 32 ounces of beer nice and fresh. Think I will experiment once I pick up some beer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

duncanfj
    Participant

Daily Growler in UA and Powell also have crowlers, which is a large can they fill on site with beer of your choice (except CBC IIRC). Stays fresher longer prior to opening, don’t need to worry about having a growler with you.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Anyone know anything about this operation or who’s company it is? It looks really awesome IMO. Exactly like the set up I would like to do.

http://www.facebook.com/MapleHillFarmBrewery

DouginCMH
    Participant

Anyone know anything about this operation or who’s company it is? It looks really awesome IMO. Exactly like the set up I would like to do.

First I’ve heard of it. Great find! Scant information available online, I see.

It’s outside of the Columbus MSA, so won’t get into my official/unofficial list of Columbus breweries. Still, looks like a cool place, and certainly helps fill the brewery-less gap that exists between Columbus and Cincinnati.

Nancy H
    Participant

Linkedin turns up an Eddie Anderson of Washington Court House Ohio. Currently listed as being in sales for Warped Wing Brewing (Dayton) and co-founder of Maple Hill Farm Brewery.

Found this article on craftbrewingbusiness.com’s website

http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/news/deschutes-hires-cba-division-sales-manager-new-ohio-kentucky-territories/

DouginCMH
    Participant

Cool article about Compton Construction and the local craft beer scene. Nice Crew link, as well!

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/07/31/crafting-his-niche.html

meltsintowonder
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

It’s outside of the Columbus MSA, so won’t get into my official/unofficial list of Columbus breweries. Still, looks like a cool place, and certainly helps fill the brewery-less gap that exists between Columbus and Cincinnati.

I’ve gotten to know Eddie a little bit over the last couple months and he’s working on a brewing project as you can see. I don’t think there’s much to report until he gets the ball rolling. Local breweries have made big announcements in the past and it’s anywhere from months to a few years before they’re fully operational. You can expect some sour action.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div><br>

I’ve gotten to know Eddie a little bit over the last couple months and he’s working on a brewing project as you can see. I don’t think there’s much to report until he gets the ball rolling. Local breweries have made big announcements in the past and it’s anywhere from months to a few years before they’re fully operational. You can expect some sour action.

the look/feel reminds me of Jester King in Austin. And doing open air fermentation….. that’s exactly what I’d be into if I had the space.

Super cool.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>meltsintowonder wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div><br><br>

the look/feel reminds me of Jester King in Austin. And doing open air fermentation….. that’s exactly what I’d be into if I had the space.

Super cool.

I’m with you on that one. A unique offering for Ohio. And the breweries outside of the city bring people more passionate about the beer because of the drive.

Nancy H
    Participant

Happened to be in the GYMDGE today, so I asked at the cafe about growlers. Yes indeedy, they had something like 20 beers on tap and will gladly put any of them in a growler. Alas, not a single Columbus brewery in the mix. The guy apologized profusely and said their assortment changes daily, sometimes more often. They did have one Ohio brewery so I decided to try it. The keg was low and not enough to fill a growler. Grrrrr Tried a Lexington Kentucky Brewery’s Bourbon Barrel Ale. I have tried BB Stout and liked it, so worth a shot. Opened it last night. Very nice.

GYMDGE had a better assortment of local brews this time, in cans. Picked up some Seventh’s Son Humulus Nimbus Super Pale Ale and some Land Grant Stiff Arm India Pale Ale. They also had Columbus Brewing, Elevator and North High.

I bought a six pack of North High Brewing’s Milk Stout last week. Really enjoyed it. I seem to like stouts and porters over pale ale and IPAs. But… need to try more.

Having grown up in the days of 3.2 percent beer I always turned up my nose at beer. (you could buy 3.2 percent at age 18, but had to be 21 to buy 6 percent) To me, beer always tasted like a Canadian friend once described American beer: “So weak it tastes like somebody already drank it once.” Obviously not the case any more!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO