Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Apartment Rental Market Getting More Expensive

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Apartment Rental Market Getting More Expensive

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 150 total)
  • Author

cheap

Walker said:
    Anecdotes are not the same things as Averages.

wtf?

lots of renters in this town don’t even advertise.they just stick a sign in the yard.

News
    Participant

Apartment vacancies slide in Columbus
    Business First
    Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The share of empty apartments in Columbus is shrinking, but the area’s vacancy rate still is among the highest of more than 80 metropolitan areas that a New York research firm tracks. Vacancy rates in Columbus fell from 6.9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011 to 6.4 percent in the first quarter of 2012, according to Reis Inc. During the first quarter a year ago, Columbus’ vacancy rate was 8.6 percent.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/04/18/apartment-vacancies-slide-in-columbus.html

News
    Participant

Shortage Leads To Central Ohio Apartment Boom
    Wednesday June 20, 2012 6:14 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – David Young knows first hand that a good apartment can be hard to find, 10TV’s Jerry Revish reported on Wednesday. Young has been on the hunt for two months and has looked primarily in Victorian Village and the Short North.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/06/20/columbus-apartment-boom.html

GCrites80s
    Participant

CU’s new Urban Living section is a great idea. Craigslist has way too many overposts of the same units and has lost a lot of usefulness as a rental tool. It’s kind of a bummer since rentals were their first big thing.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    CU’s new Urban Living section is a great idea. Craigslist has way too many overposts of the same units and has lost a lot of usefulness as a rental tool. It’s kind of a bummer since rentals were their first big thing.

The Watermark people in the Grandview area must have a person reposting everyday full-time.

Twixlen
    Participant

This makes me think of the umpteen new posters who come on to get help finding an apt in the SN, VV, whatnot… that was a tough market 3 years ago; now it’s just exploding.

I have a friend in Brewer’s Yard who has been renting happily there for years – they raise the rent, he grumbles, and considers buying, but continues in his same place. They just sent him a lease renewal, letting him know that they’d be raising his rent by $200 a month (!!!ouch!!!), to let them know his plans by X date. He is now pretty seriously looking at buying.

Which makes me wonder for long-time renters, who’ve been in their places for years, getting hammered for increases, and maybe deciding to buy – especially since interest rates are sooo low.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s said:
    CU’s new Urban Living section is a great idea.

Thanks! We think so too (or else we wouldn’t have done it).

We’re going to be working on filling in our database with new units as they all start coming online. Over 20 medium-to-large developments are in the works in/around Downtown right now:

The List: 12 New Apartment Developments Around Columbus

The List: 11 More New Apartment Developments Around Columbus

gocrewman

Tighter restrictions across the board related to buying homes. This leaves familys to rent a house or condo. Landlords like myself seeing inventory down, people with high debt to income ratio and little cash for down payment resorting to pay higher in rent.
    Have a duplex in Hilltop rent $700 each side and other condos in the suburbs rented $750 last year now $1000 with 12 people the first day viewing the property.

jeffisbiking
    Participant

A tight rental market 2 years ago was why I ended up just off of Bethel Rd instead of staying in any of Clintonville or Grandview (my 2 preferred places). As it is, my lease is coming up and I’m just hoping my landlord doesn’t raise the price too much.

With the rental market just getting pricier, it just reminds me that I need to keep saving to try and buy my own place once I’ve saved enough.

cheap

jeffisbiking said:
    A tight rental market 2 years ago was why I ended up just off of Bethel Rd instead of staying in any of Clintonville or Grandview (my 2 preferred places). As it is, my lease is coming up and I’m just hoping my landlord doesn’t raise the price too much.

With the rental market just getting pricier, it just reminds me that I need to keep saving to try and buy my own place once I’ve saved enough.

there are some privately owned townhouses in the bethel/sawmill area that are still very reasonable.
    that’s good,but also can be bad as well.

News
    Participant

FROM HERE: http://fox8.com/2012/07/04/rents-keep-rising-while-home-prices-inch-higher/

Smaller metro areas that recorded large rent increases included Fort Worth, Texas, at 15.5%, Edison, N.J., Colorado Springs, Colo., and Columbus, Ohio. Of those markets, Colorado Springs had the most substantial gain in asking prices on homes for sale, an uptick of 4.3%. In Edison, prices declined 9%, according to Trulia.

efilsitra
    efilsitra
    Participant

Just stumbled upon this thread SusanB if you are out there let me know, I am looking for a place in the 600-700 range 2 bedrooms. Anyone else please let me know. We have one cat and I’d love to be able to play music in the place but it’s not an absolute must. Thanks! c.topherjames @ gmail . com if you have anything!

SusanB
    Participant

efilsitra I have sent you an email about the house. I was just thinking about listing it next month. Good timing.

News
    Participant

You Need to Earn Nearly $19 an Hour to Rent ‘Comfortably,’ Report Says
    03/25/2013 11:52am
    ALLYN GAESTEL | NEXT CITY

Nearly half of African-American families in the U.S. do not make enough money to comfortably afford housing, according to new data from the National Low Income Housing Coalition. The advocacy non-profit publishes an annual report on the housing wage, or the amount that someone must earn to afford a modest apartment without spending more than 30 percent of income on housing.

READ MORE: http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/you-need-to-earn-nearly-19-an-hour-to-rent-comfortably-report-says

News
    Participant

Multi-Family Market Overview 1st Quarter

The Columbus apartment market weathered the recession better than most Midwest markets; this was due to a stable local economy. Riding that momentum to consistently solid gains throughout 2011-2012, Columbus avoided the slowdown in rent growth that hit most of the other Midwest markets.

READ MORE: http://blog.ohioequities.com/?p=2324

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO