Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus $15 Minimum Wage

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus $15 Minimum Wage

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I think the infamous Seattle minimum wage doesn’t hit $15 until 2021 or something like that, and even that has exceptions built in. Tipped employees still don’t get the full minimum wage, for example. I think they get maybe $10 by then.

jbcmh81
    Participant

^ But workers often DO pay the price for the mistakes of upper management, in the form of mass layoffs.

Yep. We just had a presidential candidate, Carly Fiorina, who completely ran Hewlett-Packard into the ground and cost 30,000 workers their jobs. Not exactly a shining example of the “job creators” mantra.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ehill27 wrote:</div>
    ^ But workers often DO pay the price for the mistakes of upper management, in the form of mass layoffs.

Yep. We just had a presidential candidate, Carly Fiorina, who completely ran Hewlett-Packard into the ground and cost 30,000 workers their jobs. Not exactly a shining example of the “job creators” mantra.

I bet when she lost her job at HP, she wasn’t financially screwed like all the people she laid-off. It’s easy to “be a tough manager” when you’ve got a big golden parachute to take home and deposit in the bank.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ehill27 wrote:</div><br>

I bet when she lost her job at HP, she wasn’t financially screwed like all the people she laid-off. It’s easy to “be a tough manager” when you’ve got a big golden parachute to take home and deposit in the bank.

She’s worth north of $50 million, so yeah, she’s doing fine.

Shako
    Participant

Sounds more like resentment toward the wealthy than whether or not columbus should have a 15 dollar minimum wage (which was the intended discussion)…

Any board of directors is free to offer their ceo less and any worker is free to hold out and not accept a job unless the wage is high enough. One thing markets do okay is establishing prices.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Sounds more like resentment toward the wealthy than whether or not columbus should have a 15 dollar minimum wage (which was the intended discussion)…

Any board of directors is free to offer their ceo less and any worker is free to hold out and not accept a job unless the wage is high enough. One thing markets do okay is establishing prices.

The “market” would work fine if the Fed would allow full employment – but they don’t. They tighten the money money supply to prevent full employment because it would cause wages to rise too quickly in a true competitive market. Hence the need for a minimum. So they can keep unemployment from going no lower than 4%.

thomaspickles
    Participant

Stop pricing less skilled out of the labor force. $15 will do nothing good for anyone.

drew
    Participant

They are connected. The wealthy hoard money but the less well-to-do spend it – if you’re only making 30K a year (full time at $15/hour), you basically have to, even in an affordable city like Columbus. That’s good for the economy – money that’s circulated is far more beneficial to everyone than money that’s socked away.

The argument can be fairly made – why can’t the wealthy reap the rewards of their efforts? Do what they want with what they earn? And, it’s a fair point, but it brings up the question – what amounts to ‘fair’ rewards?

We know that one operation in one tax haven was hiding between $21 and $32 trillion dollars. We know the US GDP is just under $17 trillion dollars.

So… one law office in one tax haven hides more money than the entire value of all goods and services produced in the US in a year. How many tax havens are there? How many operations providing similar services within them?

To me, seeing that, the notion that wealth is in any way distributed fairly, and consistent with one’s contribution, is inconceivable.

That’s not to say that a $15 minimum wage is the perfect solution, but I strongly suspect it’d do more good than harm.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Whether you believe it’s justified or not, it is a fact of human nature that when the rich get too rich, for too long, the poor will inevitably rise up with pitchforks and torches and revolt over it. So, unless the rich want to hide on the moon, they’ll have to admit that there are just limits as to how rich the rest of the population will let them get before the guillotines come out.

Mike88
    Participant

I think we’ll get true glimpses at how this plays out in the near future with Cali and NY doing state wide raises in wages. It’s one thing for a city to do it when it’s easy to ship a job a few miles away but Statewide is a new story.

Personally I lean toward raising the wage to $15 bucks. I strongly suspect that when people point to cities where Unemployment goes up after a min wage hike what they’re really seeing is more people looking for jobs again as a result of better potential wages. But that’s all a suspicion so I’d love to see if the data bears that out before I make my position the hill to die on.

I think we’ll get true glimpses at how this plays out in the near future with Cali and NY doing state wide raises in wages. It’s one thing for a city to do it when it’s easy to ship a job a few miles away but Statewide is a new story.

Personally I lean toward raising the wage to $15 bucks. I strongly suspect that when people point to cities where Unemployment goes up after a min wage hike what they’re really seeing is more people looking for jobs again as a result of better potential wages. But that’s all a suspicion so I’d love to see if the data bears that out before I make my position the hill to die on.

Here you go:

http://www.investors.com/politics/policy/minimum-wage-test-guess-which-3-states-lost-retail-jobs-since-14/

derm
    derm
    Participant

That could very well be true wage wise. Right now you make say 16k at 8 bucks per hour. If you went on Disability for what ever ailment real or imagined you get 13k plus all U can eat Medicare. Most folks stay home in their PJ’s for that loss of 12 bucks every two weeks. The people on disability are also not counted towards the unemployment rate, which may change as a result. Good point by you Mike.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Mike88
    Participant

Here you go:

http://www.investors.com/politics/policy/minimum-wage-test-guess-which-3-states-lost-retail-jobs-since-14/

So this is pretty interesting but the article itself states that The Walmart closures in the states they’re exemplifying were not due to the wage increases, and the two Macy’s examples were cited for poor store performance and closed after the Christmas season, out of a group of 40 nationwide. This also seems to be unrelated to the wage increases given the evidence presented in the article. Those four stores probably account for a tremendous chunk of the 2,200 jobs they cited as lost in the retail sector.

I do appreciate the link though, I wouldn’t say it dramatically shifts my view given what it presents but it is worth considering.

pedex
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Shako wrote:</div>

The “market” would work fine if the Fed would allow full employment – but they don’t. They tighten the money money supply to prevent full employment because it would cause wages to rise too quickly in a true competitive market. Hence the need for a minimum. So they can keep unemployment from going no lower than 4%.

1. triffins paradox
    2. FED lost control quite awhile ago, rates are essentially negative and the credit cycle is stuck because the debt load remains way too high and losses are being prevented from being realized
    3. the employment rate means nothing w/o the labor force participation rate
    4. the amount of govt/bank interference in all markets encourages a road to serfdom for most people

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

You haven’t seen the rates rise because we haven’t hit full employment, but if we were to hit full employment, they would start to raise interest rates. Basically they guarantee a small amount of unemployment to prevent any true price equilibrium in the labor market, because they think people are more afraid of inflation than being unemployed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE