Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus $15 Minimum Wage

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus $15 Minimum Wage

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

how about we tax the upper earners more and redistribute the savings…..CEO’s and those making more than 200K should take pay cuts to help lower wage earners.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

how about we tax the upper earners more and redistribute the savings…..CEO’s and those making more than 200K should take pay cuts to help lower wage earners.

You can not beat poverty through wage redistribution. What you want is retribution. you want to punish a segment of society. A large portion of this country already pays no tax on their wages, they in fact receive money. That really hasn’t helped social mobility has it.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

it works great in other places in Europe…greed will be the end of free societies if we do not take care of those in need….see the rise of Trump and the white nationalists

ImNotaStar
    Participant

It works great in Europe? It’s still 2008 in Europe. That’s the biggest POS place ever. Wtf are u talking about?

Shako
    Participant

Lazyfish, I don’t think anyone would disagree that there is a problem. But do you really think you can fix poverty by making it illegal? I understand the simple intuition that there would be plenty to go around if it were shared evenly (or more evenly). But that stuff (goods, services) doesn’t come from outer space. Someone has to produce it. The pie will shrink over time if you remove the incentive to add to the pie. How do you ensure that is addressed in your proposal?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

goods and services are produced by workers not investors, the profits should be equitably divided between workers, managers and investors. Changes in tax law got us into this mess, we should reform tax law to encourage investment in capital and people not dividends. Republican tax cuts benefit the wealthy and deprive local communities of valuable services.

Shako
    Participant

Lazyfish, let it be noted that you didn’t answer the question I asked. I can’t try to understand your perspective if you don’t want to have a dialogue. Good luck to you, however!

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

it was answered…”the profits should be equitably divided between workers, managers and investors.” change tax law to encourage investment in capital and labor, tax dividends and capital gains…

Shako
    Participant

I asked how you address the disincentives it creates. Your answer is “by creating additional disincentive”? Someone has to pay the laborers if they aren’t entrepreneurs. It takes a capital investment to start a business and the owners of that capital expect to be compensated for the risk taken. If you require they equally share the profits, don’t you suppose they might think twice about starting a business and hiring people? My question is/was how do you address that?

DLDude
    Participant

it was answered…”the profits should be equitably divided between workers, managers and investors.” change tax law to encourage investment in capital and labor, tax dividends and capital gains…

lol what? Do they also divide the losses? Are they also on the hook for insurance? Are they also the one whose credit gets ruined if things take a dip? It’s not all fun and games being the ‘owner’ of a business. It’s a TON of responsibility and I just don’t think you can say Joe Cashier ‘deserves’ the same profit as the guy who is personally liable for tons of people, equipment, safety, and risk.

ehill27
    Participant

^ But workers often DO pay the price for the mistakes of upper management, in the form of mass layoffs.

Shako
    Participant

I think payment is meant to be a little more literal in this context… when a company goes bankrupt the creditors don’t go after the layed off employers for payment. They do go after the assets of the company (or what remain of them).

Shako
    Participant

Employees*

pedex
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>

You can not beat poverty through wage redistribution. What you want is retribution. you want to punish a segment of society. A large portion of this country already pays no tax on their wages, they in fact receive money. That really hasn’t helped social mobility has it.

A small segment of society has used govt influence and corruption to enable their enrichment and promoted income inequality, this needs dealt with and isn’t just taxes. We have trade policies, tax policies, etc etc that are very much set up to create the deteriorating situation we have today. Hell our banking system and its upper echelon of employees and stockholders are now basically immune from responsibility for failure, it gets put on the tax payers. That is a failure in multiple areas and extends into other businesses as well. The whole system must be altered.

Mindset must also be changed. Take Uber for example, low priced human transport that is unsustainable for the drivers bu great for the users. The users don’t see the damage they are causing. The only ones making money are the actual Uber owners and employees, the contractors get screwed. Shop at Walmart or any other big box store? Same deal, you are participating in a race to the bottom. Actions have consequences.

Socializing losses and privatizing profits while removing responsibility for actions, our whole corporate law and ownership structure is designed to do this and it does it very well. The game is rigged and results predictable, we have seen this before.

Minimum wage changes is a bandaid with ugly side effects, why not deal with underlying causes which at some point must be dealt with and are long past due?

How many people here are willing to see significant tax increases especially property and sales taxes to pay for the thousands of public employees that would get almost 25% pay raises @ $15/hr? That doesn’t even get into how many service businesses and restaurants that would be faced with serious business threatening margin issues. Labor is a cost of business which is leveraged, final product prices are multiples of costs. It isn’t linear. You raise my labor costs by 50% and my product prices don’t jump by 50%, they might go up quite a bit more. They might not even be able to be raised enough to cope, it may force the business to stop altogether. The great depression has lots of lessons in it about business. This is definitely one of those pull one lever and expecting predictable results to happen in response is pretty dumb situations. Still , as a nation we are quite able and should provide some sort of floor on labor exploitation. I think it would be prudent though to deal with the other issues at the same time or ahead of this first.

my 2 cents

GCrites80s
    Participant

One thing that a lot of people don’t think about when discussing say a $15 minimum wage is its stifling effect on entrepreneurship. Many, many small businesspeople don’t make $15 an hour even after being in business for years. How many of them would close their businesses if they can make more at any entry-level position working for someone else? It sure is less stressful to work at a lot of those jobs, and the ex-entrepreneurs’ work ethic, experience, car that runs every day and polished demeanor will certainly be very popular with management.

As for budding new entrepreneurs deciding whether to start a business or just go out and get a job, the decision whether to take on all that risk shifts drastically to working for “The Man”. With my business, it took three years before I could hire someone only one day a week at $8 and I had to take a pay cut to do it. Think about how much longer it would take for a business to make enough money to hire someone with a wage nearly double. Why put all those years of additional work into your business for still less than minimum wage?

Sure, they could make a small-business exception and keep it a $8.10 for them, but what employee would do it? How are you going to get good people when you pay significantly less? Maybe your 14-year-old child would be willing to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: