Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus $15 Minimum Wage

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus $15 Minimum Wage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

Now that The fight for a $15 minimum wage has come to Columbus, what are your thoughts? How soon is $15 achievable? What should the rate be for tipped employees? (Seattle is $10 for tipped employees, IIRC) Is $15 too high? If so, what rate would you suggest and why?

DLDude
    Participant

My unknown moreso is what do you do for people who make $10-15/hr now. Are they going to be fine at $15/hr when everyone else is now making that, or will they require a 50% increase in their wage too? So if they’re now making $30/hr ($60k/yr), what will the people making $60k/yr say (Which is a good, college-degree type job) when someone working in a semi-skilled trade is making what they make? Do we have to double their salary?

Eugene_C
    Participant

My unknown moreso is what do you do for people who make $10-15/hr now. Are they going to be fine at $15/hr when everyone else is now making that, or will they require a 50% increase in their wage too? So if they’re now making $30/hr ($60k/yr), what will the people making $60k/yr say (Which is a good, college-degree type job) when someone working in a semi-skilled trade is making what they make? Do we have to double their salary?

I think what happens is that if their $10-15 job is more difficult and less rewarding than a $10-15 job at Chipotle, then they’ll quit their job and go work at Chipotle.

bwitty92
    Participant

But if Chipotle has to pay $15 instead of $9 they will just figure out a way to operate with less people. Or they will increase prices. Moving up to $15 so suddenly would have a huge economic impact.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

$15 is great for the cost of living in areas like NYC and Chicago.

$15 for a low cost like Columbus will do more harm than good.

It should all be based on the average living expense.

wygand
    Participant

All of the comments I see being made about a $15 minimum wage are concerns about why people should be making so much for flipping burgers(insert other stereotypical low wage job). The issue I see with this question/argument, is that when we pay people less than a living wage, we are actually just forced to subsidize their wages with food stamps and government aid to make $8.10 a living wage. This government aid is then basically just a subsidy for companies to allow them to pay people so little, while at the same time, it represents a huge part of government spending that many of these same people are also against.

I feel like the minimum wage not keeping pace with inflation over the past several decades has to have had a huge effect on the wage stagnation that so many people are facing at all levels of the income bracket.

CivilE
    Participant

Businesses are already trying to minimize labor costs (part time workers, self-checkouts, apps and kiosks for customer ordering). This will likely exacerbate the problem. If a company has X amount of dollars to spend on labor and the market for their business is very price-sensitive (i.e. they can’t just pass the costs on to the client/consumer) the only option is to reduce staff and increase efficiency. I picture places grocery stores moving toward more self-checkouts rather than manned cashiers and limitations on grocery carts leaving the store (or deposits such as those used at Aldi) in order to avoid paying someone $15/hr just to collect carts. McDonalds is already developing self-ordering kiosks that would likely reduce or eliminate the need for cashiers. The hardest hit will be businesses located in low-rent areas because labor costs typically are the highest expense in those cases.

CivilE
    Participant

All of the comments I see being made about a $15 minimum wage are concerns about why people should be making so much for flipping burgers(insert other stereotypical low wage job). The issue I see with this question/argument, is that when we pay people less than a living wage, we are actually just forced to subsidize their wages with food stamps and government aid to make $8.10 a living wage. This government aid is then basically just a subsidy for companies to allow them to pay people so little, while at the same time, it represents a huge part of government spending that many of these same people are also against.

I feel like the minimum wage not keeping pace with inflation over the past several decades has to have had a huge effect on the wage stagnation that so many people are facing at all levels of the income bracket.

But if the overall number of available jobs is reduced due to artificially imposed wage minimums (which all repots I’ve read have said will be the case when minimum wage is drastically increased), isn’t the government still on the dole for subsidizing? True those making a living wage may or may not require government aid, but all of the people who go from an $8 an hour job to zero job will need additional welfare subsidies. Some people win and some people lose, but is there a net benefit? You are likely correct that if minimum wages matched inflation, it would be a less bitter pill to swallow, but that is assuming that the minimum wage was ever a living wage in the first place.

wygand
    Participant

I get it, I feel like I could effectively argue either side of this. To me, it boils down to one thing though. Do you believe that margins are that thin in so many businesses? I honestly don’t know, but perhaps if a business can’t figure out how to make a product without relying on the government(taxpayers) to subsidize their work force, they should find a different product to sell. The system is too connected to draw doomsday conclusions based on raising the minimum wage. Sure, some business will be squeezed and go out of business, the walmarts and mcdonalds of the world, but maybe that opens the door for other businesses with different business models to fill in the gaps.

This question is really about where the government should be applying the pressure. Should it force businesses to pay people a living wage on the front end, or should it subsidize low wage workers income on the back end with various services. I am of the opinion that the former is a more capitalist friendly way to govern.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

$15 x 40 hrs/week x 52 weeks = $31,200 not a massive wage pre-tax assume 15% tax rate net income $26,520

$700/ month mortgage/rent x 12 = $8,400 or more than 1/4 of your wage

$100/ week for food = $5200 about 20% of post tax wage

utilities 200 month x 12 = $2400 about 10%

leaves $10,520 for everything else

add insurance, clothing, transportation, entertainment, and you can see you are not living high on the hog.

Why is there always resistance to increasing the wages of the working poor but no movement to reduce the wages through taxation of the very rich

JMan
    Participant

Yes, a $15 Minimum wage is a good thing and essential. I’m very much for it.

ColDayMan
    Participant

If the point of minimum wage is to aid people in being above the poverty line, I see no reason why it shouldn’t be $15/hour (or greater, if needed).

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

$15 x 40 hrs/week x 52 weeks = $31,200 not a massive wage pre-tax assume 15% tax rate net income $26,520

$700/ month mortgage/rent x 12 = $8,400 or more than 1/4 of your wage

$100/ week for food = $5200 about 20% of post tax wage

utilities 200 month x 12 = $2400 about 10%

leaves $10,520 for everything else

add insurance, clothing, transportation, entertainment, and you can see you are not living high on the hog.

Why is there always resistance to increasing the wages of the working poor but no movement to reduce the wages through taxation of the very rich

Why exactly should we expect that entry level jobs for teenagers and no skill workers should pay enough to buy a house. Its childish thinking. So Democrats and Republicans have completely wrecked the employment landscape in this country and the response is to prop up the lowest end wage rather than address skills and lack of non-service industry jobs. Why not have wages that reflect the economic input of employee?Congratulations. The outcome of a near doubling of the minimum wage will be less jobs for poor people. But as with many of the stylish fake progressive positions of this age, results don’t mater, only platitudes around election time do.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

We don’t really have to guess at the effects. Other cities have made themselves Guinea pigs on this. Let’s check in on Seattle.

“Seattle’s unemployment rate has risen a whole 1% of the workforce since this wage rise. Over the same period of time the national unemployment rate dropped by 0.5%. Sure is something going on there, isn’t there?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/02/19/seattles-15-minimum-wage-jobs-down-unemployment-up-this-isnt-working-is-it/#1cfbb1d63712

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

To add my own thoughts. Sure a $15 min sounds great, but obviously those additional labor costs are going to be mitigated by passing them along through higher service or product costs or by reducing employment. I don’t think businesses will just accept lower margins out of the goodness of their heart. So a higher minimum wage helps some people but hurts all the people who went from $8 to $0.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION