Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Columbia Gas HQ Building in The Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Columbia Gas HQ Building in The Arena District

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 201 total)
  • Author

sixby9is42

Twixlen wrote >>
    All I want is for some decent food situation to come into the building at the corner of Marconi & Nationwide. That space has never been filled. Hotdogs, sammiches, SOMETHING.

I thought that was an office lobby…?

Twixlen
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>
    All I want is for some decent food situation to come into the building at the corner of Marconi & Nationwide. That space has never been filled. Hotdogs, sammiches, SOMETHING.

Nope. Gravel pit.

ehill27
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    …Also, this is still a win for downtown. In reading the articles above they stated they considered moving to Dublin, Easton and New Albany. Much better they stay within the outskirts of downtown then move to the outerbelt.

True.

anillo
    Participant

Does anyone know if the garage will be public after business hours (or at least for Clippers/Jackets games?)

And even though they’re “short”, two six story buildings is a hell of a lot better than one fourteen story one.

peanutnozone
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

Nope. Gravel pit.

Yes! I was always perplexed. One time, some friends and I were walking home from BD’s and noticed upon, idly pulling the door handle as we walked by, it was open. It’s a huge space with like, just a bunch a gravel. We played in there for a little bit. My friend sings opera…that place has great acoustics!

But yeah, put somethin’ in there! I’m glad the surface lots are going to be replaced by some sort of development, however mid-rise.

futureman
    Participant

anillo wrote >>
    Does anyone know if the garage will be public after business hours (or at least for Clippers/Jackets games?)
    And even though they’re “short”, two six story buildings is a hell of a lot better than one fourteen story one.

If it’s anything like the other two garages, they allow public parking 24/7 and for events they charge $5 or $10. I believe the large size of the garage is to compensate for the loss of the huge surface lots. Considering they are putting up a 1400 car parking garage for 650 employees there should be plenty of space to spare I’d hope :)

mdzj80

people211 wrote >>
    I perked up when i saw the word “tower” used. But then they said two 6 story buildings…… Still good for the Arena District though… Whatever happened to the Giant Eagle that was supposed to be built there?

I know that tall buildings would be good for the skyline, but in that area it seems to be a happy medium, nothing to overshadow the arena and the ballpark.

As for the Giant Eagle, from what I understand it was the Market District one that they put in Kingsdale. There appearently was talk of them puting it downtown in the AD but up there is where it ended up.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I am up in arms over this whole thing.

futureman
    Participant

mdzj80 wrote >>

people211 wrote >>
    I perked up when i saw the word “tower” used. But then they said two 6 story buildings…… Still good for the Arena District though… Whatever happened to the Giant Eagle that was supposed to be built there?

I know that tall buildings would be good for the skyline, but in that area it seems to be a happy medium, nothing to overshadow the arena and the ballpark.

The height issue as a whole in the Arena District is discussed in the MSI podcast around minute 5 or so here – https://www.columbusunderground.com/cu-podcast-26-designing-columbus-at-msi

Summarizing it – initial ideas for the area were 12-15 story buildings, but because of our car dependent city this density was too high w/out creating massive parking garages that couldn’t be hidden as they are now (please correct me if I’m wrong). This is the reason why the area as a whole is 5-7 stories.

cyclist II
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I am up in arms over this whole thing.

I’m head over heels about it.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

peanutnozone wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

Nope. Gravel pit.

Yes! I was always perplexed. One time, some friends and I were walking home from BD’s and noticed upon, idly pulling the door handle as we walked by, it was open. It’s a huge space with like, just a bunch a gravel. We played in there for a little bit. My friend sings opera…that place has great acoustics!
    But yeah, put somethin’ in there! I’m glad the surface lots are going to be replaced by some sort of development, however mid-rise.

haha we don’t need another pavilion in the arena district. But at least theres development than just surface lots.

futureman
    Participant

Historic parking garage?

‘Historic’ parking garage led to Columbia Gas building’s odd shape
    Business First – by Brian Ball
    Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 1:25pm EDT – Last Modified: Monday, April 4, 2011, 8:55pm EDT

Columbia Gas of Ohio’s planned move to the Arena District from its 200 Civic Center Drive home has its roots – at least in part – to an odd historic preservation decision made in the early 1980s.

Columbus Gas President Jack Partridge said when the RiverSouth headquarters were being designed back then, they were barred from demolishing the 1950s-era parking garage next door. The garage had served as part of the sprawling Lazarus department store and parking complex around the corner.

READ MORE:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/04/historic-parking-garage-led-to.html

anillo
    Participant

Let’s make a postcard about the parking garage.

colrex7

It would be cool if the parking garage was converted into something else, like studio spaces or some sort of garden building with plants and public spaces. Im sure the roof has a nice view, so there should be a use for this building that utilizes its strengths. A parking garage at this location is inappropriate.
    Maybe a long term alternative purpose should be in store.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Still room for offices near arena

Thursday, April 7, 2011 03:09 AM
    BY MARLA MATZER ROSE
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

There’s a little more land to be developed in the Arena District after all. A week after announcing it will build Columbia Gas of Ohio’s $50million headquarters on the last large undeveloped parcel it controls in the Arena District, Nationwide Realty Investors confirmed that it is considering a possible office development on a parcel at the northeast corner of Nationwide and Front streets that is used for surface parking.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/04/07/still-room-for-offices-near-arena.html?sid=101

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 201 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE