Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Columbia Gas HQ Building in The Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Columbia Gas HQ Building in The Arena District

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New photos from today, here:

Construction Roundup: October 2013

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Cincinnati-based Nada Restaurant Opening in Arena District
    April 21, 2014 4:18 pm – Walker Evans

Another dose of Cincinnati is coming to Columbus by way of Nada — a popular restaurant located not far from Fountain Square. Their Columbus location will land at 240 West Nationwide Boulevard, inside the new Columbia Gas HQ Building that is currently under construction.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cincinnati-based-nada-restaurant-opening-in-arena-district

heresthecasey
    Participant

Great news!

As more and more of the ground floor retail spaces slowly fill in across the arena district, I think it’s definitely helping to give a more cohesive and real ‘neighborhood feel’ to the area.

However, I do wish there was more street-level interaction along the side of the Arena itself which faces Nationwide Blvd. Right now, it helps to create a disconnect between the activity cluster happening up around Buca and the one down by the movie theater. Even the addition of on-street parking along that edge would be a big improvement IMO.

Also, side note, but did anything ever go into the old Tavern 343/Frog Bear Wild Boar Bar spot up closer to Front?

tonloc620
    Participant

I agree that on street parking needs to be added to the north side of nationwide blvd and along West street which has two blocks of “loading zone” parking. It’s great to see more retail but enough restaurants, what about a convenience store or a small market or a dry cleaners or a card shop or a book store, etc. Nationwide blvd should have ground floor retail in all the buildings to create a sense of place and create a good pedestrian experience. The Columbia Gas building appears to only have retail at the east end where Nada is going.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s great to see more retail but enough restaurants, what about a convenience store or a small market or a dry cleaners or a card shop or a book store, etc.

I imagine NRI would love to have any/all of that kind of thing, but I’m not sure if the market is facilitating that just yet. Rents are high, and I’m not sure margins are in those kinds of businesses to accommodate that kind of interest.

Graybeak
    Participant

Sounds like an excellent business opportunity.

A161830
    Participant

This is a big win for the Arena District. For those that have been to Nada in Cincy, they know how great of a place it is. I would have thought they would locate in the SN when they expanded to Columbus. But perhaps Bakersfield already being there led them to the Arena District.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Nada was no-brainer for Arena District developer Nationwide Realty
    Dan Eaton
    Columbus Business First
    Apr 22, 2014, 5:12pm EDT

How long did it take Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. to decide it wanted Nada in the Arena District?

“I don’t even think we made it through the appetizers,” Brian Ellis, president of the development company, told me of his initial visit to the Cincinnati restaurant.

After a year of discussion, Nada is taking an Arena District space on the ground floor of 240 Nationwide Blvd., the under-construction future home of Columbia Gas of Ohio.

The 6,229-square-foot space is on the southeast end of the building. Its patio will wrap around that corner of the building.

“It’ll be right in the shadow of the (Union Station) arch,” Ellis said. “It will look right down McFerson Commons. We think it’ll be a tremendous, high-energy location.”

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/04/nada-was-no-brainer-for-arena-district-developer.html

tonloc620
    Participant

Walker I disagree with you, I work in the arena district and many of the people in my office would love to have a convenience store to pick up a bottle of pop or some candy for afternoon snack or a birthday card etc. Most people don’t leave the office because there is nothing to do or go see in the arena district, I feel that NRI is hand picking there retailers in order to keep an “upscale” mix, however this doesn’t do much for creating a good street life. If you walk around the arena district at any hour unless there is a hockey game the streets are dead. I think a good mix of real retail would bring people out of their offices and make the arena district more of a destination rather than just a suburban office park with buildings close to the street.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Walker wasn’t saying there was a lack of demand, he was saying that he wasn’t sure that retail (as opposed to bars and restaurants) could make the high cost per sq. foot in the area work at the moment.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker I disagree with you, I work in the arena district and many of the people in my office would love to have a convenience store to pick up a bottle of pop or some candy for afternoon snack or a birthday card etc. Most people don’t leave the office because there is nothing to do or go see in the arena district, I feel that NRI is hand picking there retailers in order to keep an “upscale” mix, however this doesn’t do much for creating a good street life. If you walk around the arena district at any hour unless there is a hockey game the streets are dead. I think a good mix of real retail would bring people out of their offices and make the arena district more of a destination rather than just a suburban office park with buildings close to the street.

I work in the AD as well and I agree with your assessment. During lunch some in my office drive to Grandview or walk to the Short North to run errands.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker wasn’t saying there was a lack of demand, he was saying that he wasn’t sure that retail (as opposed to bars and restaurants) could make the high cost per sq. foot in the area work at the moment.

Yup.

I’m sure a convenience store could do well in the Arena District.

But I’m skeptical that it would do well enough to pay the high rent.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Is there a convenience store inside Nationwide Plaza for all the N’widers to use?

CMHflyer
    Participant

As much as I’d like to see a CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid/etc in the Arena District, I doubt it will happen. A convenience store would eat in to concession sales at the arena, the movie theater, LC, and Huntington Park; something all venues I think would try very much to avoid.

Very excited about this new restaurant coming into the district. Odd name though…

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 201 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE