Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Columbia Gas HQ Building in The Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Columbia Gas HQ Building in The Arena District

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Good news for the AD. Nice to see those lots finally filling up.

Columbia Gas of Ohio plans new home in Arena District

Thursday, March 31, 2011

By Dan Gearino

The Columbus Dispatch

Columbia Gas of Ohio plans to move to a new home in the Arena District, leaving its current building near the south end of Downtown for what may be the largest new office construction in the area in years.

All 650 employees will make the move, scheduled for 2014, which is when the company’s current lease expires.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/03/31/columbia-gas-plans-new-home-arena-district.html?sid=101

CMH2579
    Participant

Columbus Business First

Arena District to fill last gap with new office tower, parking garage

Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. is primed to fill the last major parcel in the Arena District with a six-story office building and parking garage complex, completing its ambitious plan for a residential and commercial district laid out when Nationwide Arena opened in 2000.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/03/31/arena-district-to-fill-last-gap-with.html

DCist

New building doesnt mean they will suck any less

ehill27
    Participant

Good for the Arena District, not so good for River South.

cbustransit
    Participant

i knew something was up when msi updated their master plan for the arena district on their website…

http://msidesign.com/index.php/arena-district-mp/

maybe a brief first look

cbustransit
    Participant

i wonder if that tower would be good for an apartment renovation? already constructed lowers the cost, its sandwiched between bicentennial park and scioto mile. there are clearly apartments in demand (with the annex proving it). Just thinking out loud.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cbustransit wrote >>
    i wonder if that tower would be good for an apartment renovation? already constructed lowers the cost, its sandwiched between bicentennial park and scioto mile. there are clearly apartments in demand (with the annex proving it). Just thinking out loud.

If it’s anything like many of the other corporate buildings downtown, there is probably a cafe of some sort making it easier to include some first floor business.

people211

I perked up when i saw the word “tower” used. But then they said two 6 story buildings…… Still good for the Arena District though… Whatever happened to the Giant Eagle that was supposed to be built there?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

people211 wrote >>
    I perked up when i saw the word “tower” used. But then they said two 6 story buildings…… Still good for the Arena District though… Whatever happened to the Giant Eagle that was supposed to be built there?

Yea i don’t think they can call something a tower unless is reaches 300 feet? I think a six story tower would do great in other places like easton or polaris. I still think we should build taller buildings in downtown.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle wrote >>

people211 wrote >>

Yea i don’t think they can call something a tower unless is reaches 300 feet? I think a six story tower would do great in other places like easton or polaris. I still think we should build taller buildings in downtown.

On the other hand we have parking lots being infilled by 2014 and an office building opening up that could entice someone to stay down vs. leave elsewhere. Win win.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Pickerington_Kyle wrote >>

people211 wrote >>

On the other hand we have parking lots being infilled by 2014 and an office building opening up that could entice someone to stay down vs. leave elsewhere. Win win.

isn’t it something like 37 percent of downtown is covered by surface parking lots? But yea i agree its great their covering some parking lots.

futureman
    Participant

huh, guess I should have hit refresh before I tried to start a thread about this. Sorry!

It’s great to see these huge surface lots going away. I’m not at all surprised to see these buildings limited to only six stories, most of the Arena District is pretty much the same height. At 280,000 sf it’s the largest of the buildings in the Arena District, but still only a quarter of the sf as the Hungtingon Tower (1,000,000 sf).

Here is the rendering from the Biz First article –
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/03/31/arena-district-to-fill-last-gap-with.html?s=image_gallery

Also, this is still a win for downtown. In reading the articles above they stated they considered moving to Dublin, Easton and New Albany. Much better they stay within the outskirts of downtown then move to the outerbelt.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

people211 wrote >>

That was supposed to be on Vine across the street from the Flats on Vine. But yea, that got shelved.

I guess 6 stories constitutes a “tower” in Columbus. I’m fine with that though in the AD. They will blend with all the rest. Like everyone else said, at least the surface lots are going away.

I’m wandering if they are still considering building that last apartment building next to the railroad, south of it that is. I could have swore I read about this somewhere, last year mavbe.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I have to say I love the design of the building (going along with all the other buildings,) and the fact their getting rid of another surface lot. Though that’ll cause some problems at the very beginning for blue jackets/Clipper Games.

Twixlen
    Participant

All I want is for some decent food situation to come into the building at the corner of Marconi & Nationwide. That space has never been filled. Hotdogs, sammiches, SOMETHING.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 201 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE