Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Colorado Springs Article after visiting Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Colorado Springs Article after visiting Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

Article from the Colorado Springs Business Journal, about their misconceptions of Columbus, and how Colorado Springs wants to do what Columbus has built:

Columbus’ success defines an opportunity lost here

by John Hazlehurst

Published: January 3,2013

When we think of peer cities with which we compare ourselves, Columbus, Ohio, doesn’t rank high on the list — in fact, it’s probably not on the list at all. And why should it be?

It’s bigger, flatter, older, colder (in the winter), hotter (in the summer), more humid (always), and it’s in the Midwest. Conventional wisdom says that people flee Columbus, as well Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Dayton, to come to cities like Colorado Springs.

What’s in Columbus? Surely it’s just another decaying industrial city, plagued by crime, crumbling infrastructure and a hollowed-out manufacturing sector.

READ MORE: http://csbj.com/2013/01/03/columbus-success-defines-an-opportunity-lost-here/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow. Very nice article, especially considering their visit was during the nasty weather we just had. ;) Summertime is certainly a better time to show off some of our newer outdoor amenities.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Good article, the main difference with Colorado Springs is that it is the center of the fundamentalist anti-tax world, very little civic support for civic projects.

Colorado Springs a Mecca for Evangelical Christians

Not long ago, Colorado Springs was a fairly small typical Western town with a mix of military people, blue-collar workers and a few colorful characters looking to escape city life. But today, it’s a booming city that’s home to more than 100 evangelical Christian organizations.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4287106

tdziemia
    Participant

Amen, lazyfish.

I can see them building a Creation Museum there; never a COSI.

Much less ethnically diverse than Columbus.

And I am sure they would welcome our vibrant LGBT community there with open arms.

mightymighty
    Participant

I used to live just outside of Colorado Springs (in Manitou Springs[/url]) in 2002-2004. Colorado Springs is conservative yes, one of the major employers at the time (and probably still) is Focus On the Family[/url]. They easily took up over half of job postings. The other major industry they support is tourism. At the time I was there I worked for a non profit art center[/url] and as a studio production artist. I got to know the art scene there, & Columbus could lift a few of their ideas. While I was there, I saw all kinds of public art. There would be murals on the cement walls of underpasses, car parks, and many other otherwise unused spaces, stone sculptures by contemporary artists would be on street corners. For the size of Co Springs (which is much-much smaller than Columbus) there just seemed to be… more visible art.

Since I moved back here, Columbus has done more to make the arts visible, & I’m very happy about that.

As far as it’s conservative-ness, CO Springs definitely has an alternative culture. Where I lived in Manitou, it is extremely liberal and filled with the most delightfully unusual people. Also, good hiking if you’re into that.

I’m glad I moved back, Columbus is my home fosho. I still miss the coffin races though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Working on it indeed.

“That’s a great town, Colorado Springs,” he said. “I really wish we had your microbrewery scene — and we’re working on it.”

patient_zero
    Participant

mightymighty said:
    I used to live just outside of Colorado Springs (in Manitou Springs[/url]) in 2002-2004. Colorado Springs is conservative yes, one of the major employers at the time (and probably still) is Focus On the Family[/url]. They easily took up over half of job postings. The other major industry they support is tourism. At the time I was there I worked for a non profit art center[/url] and as a studio production artist. I got to know the art scene there, & Columbus could lift a few of their ideas. While I was there, I saw all kinds of public art. There would be murals on the cement walls of underpasses, car parks, and many other otherwise unused spaces, stone sculptures by contemporary artists would be on street corners. For the size of Co Springs (which is much-much smaller than Columbus) there just seemed to be… more visible art.

Since I moved back here, Columbus has done more to make the arts visible, & I’m very happy about that.

As far as it’s conservative-ness, CO Springs definitely has an alternative culture. Where I lived in Manitou, it is extremely liberal and filled with the most delightfully unusual people. Also, good hiking if you’re into that.

I’m glad I moved back, Columbus is my home fosho. I still miss the coffin races though.

These Coffin races look like they are a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!

@OAngle – You and many others in Central Ohio are brewing your hearts out for us, and I thank you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE