Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cocoa Manor

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Cocoa Manor

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

aaminian wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>
    That said, personally, I’m not much of a fan of the house; it looks banal and out of place. There is a place a few houses down on Park that has some amazing landscaping and the Circus House always inspires.

Huh, this is one of my favorite properties in the area. I think it’s a great contrast to have such a stately house in an otherwise urban (or semi-urban) landscape. It’s especially beautiful during Christmas time.

I feel the same. It’s an impressive house that adds value to the neighborhood.

I swear, anymore it’s hard to get through a discussion in Columbus without someone bringing up the class thing. Jeez people.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Maybe you’d see less of the class thing if you stop bringing it up! :)

But seriously, maybe I missed it, but I didn’t read anything about class until you brought it up. I thought were were talking about architecture. The house does have a “business” feel to it. Again, this has more to do with architecture than class.

agtw31

has anybody seen this example of disrespect and greed?

neighbors are so pissed off about this place,nut no law against it

built right in the middle of a neighborhood full of modest ranch homes in Beechwold

labi
    Participant

For god’s sake, it’s hard enough to discuss anything aesthetic without people automatically assuming that if you dislike the style of a THING you are simultaneously insulting the thing’s owner. Ease up, please.

lifeliberty wrote >>
    But seriously, maybe I missed it, but I didn’t read anything about class until you brought it up. I thought were were talking about architecture. The house does have a “business” feel to it. Again, this has more to do with architecture than class.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to spark a class discussion. This isn’t a “poor me, I don’t live in Cocoa Manor!” post. It’s more of a “Isn’t the Short North quirky?” post.

JonMyers
    Participant

sugarplumclarey wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

Yeah, I didn’t mean to spark a class discussion. This isn’t a “poor me, I don’t live in Cocoa Manor!” post. It’s more of a “Isn’t the Short North quirky?” post.

The contrasting pictures threw off my perception of what you were driving at. My apologies then. I misunderstood.

10sun

agtw31 wrote >>
    built right in the middle of a neighborhood full of modest ranch homes in Beechwold

Yeah, I noticed and commented on that while biking through the area; the house just didn’t seem to end and overpowered all the other homes in the area.

gramarye
    Participant

10sun wrote >>

agtw31 wrote >>

Yeah, I noticed and commented on that while biking through the area; the house just didn’t seem to end and overpowered all the other homes in the area.

I actually don’t really mind that variation, though obviously that’s a fairly extreme illustration. That said, I don’t see any serious problem with having houses of 1000, 2000, 4000, and 6000sf on the same block. It actually used to be substantially more common than it is today; suburbanization also tended to homogenize home sizes in any given locale. It’s rare today because the person with the 1000sf house might feel “overpowered” (to borrow your term) and the owner of the 6000sf house might feel that the value of their property is hurt by the presence of many smaller houses nearby; that said, I don’t see what those objections should be given veto power over development patterns.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Cocoa Manor is hosting the Short North Tour of Homes Preview Party this year. Since I doubt the home will ever be on the tour, this seems like a good opportunity for a peek.

https://sites.google.com/a/victorianvillage.org/short-north-civic-association/tour-of-homes

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION