Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cocoa Manor

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Cocoa Manor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

My husband and I have had an ongoing bet for years that neither of us could set foot in Cocoa Manor before we move away from Columbus. Well, we’re moving away in June and I really want to win this bet. Any clues on how I could get in there, short of knocking on the owner’s door? Because that would be rude.

For anyone who’s wondering, Cocoa Manor is the large house across the street from the pond @ Goodale Park on Buttles.

Ideas welcome :) Thanks.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Is it just someone’s house or is there something special/famous about it?

Mercurius
    Participant

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    My husband and I have had an ongoing bet for years that neither of us could set foot in Cocoa Manor before we move away from Columbus. Well, we’re moving away in June and I really want to win this bet. Any clues on how I could get in there, short of knocking on the owner’s door? Because that would be rude.
    For anyone who’s wondering, Cocoa Manor is the large house across the street from the pond @ Goodale Park on Buttles.

Boo on moving away. If it is the new build on the corner of Buttles and Park, I would just recommend knocking. I collected signatures for allowing street closures and noise permits for the Earth Day celebration and he was one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. He seemed convivial and warm.

That said, personally, I’m not much of a fan of the house; it looks banal and out of place. There is a place a few houses down on Park that has some amazing landscaping and the Circus House always inspires.

Yeah, the house itself looks silly in the middle of the SN which is why we were drawn to it. I need to get a picture of myself on the inside to believe it. Maybe I should just bring my baby and knock and he’ll let me in based on the merit of her cuteness!

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

This could be a rumor but I thought the owner/resident of that house owned Anthony Thomas. I thought it was a rumor for awhile but during the marathon they were passing out Anthony Thomas Buckeyes to runners right in the yard. Knock on the door and tell him your interested in buying some candy.

roy
    Participant

Your strategy seems kind of perverse. If you really want to be invited in, why insult the owner’s taste? Those of us who could have helped you win the bet are not likely to do so now.

misskitty
    Participant

VicVillage Guy wrote >>
    This could be a rumor but I thought the owner/resident of that house owned Anthony Thomas. I thought it was a rumor for awhile but during the marathon they were passing out Anthony Thomas Buckeyes to runners right in the yard. Knock on the door and tell him your interested in buying some candy.

Correct Owned by the CFO of Anthony Thomas Greg Zanetos. He has parties there a lot so maybe you can find one to attend.

gramarye
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

sugarplumclarey wrote >>

Boo on moving away. If it is the new build on the corner of Buttles and Park, I would just recommend knocking. I collected signatures for allowing street closures and noise permits for the Earth Day celebration and he was one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. He seemed convivial and warm.
    That said, personally, I’m not much of a fan of the house; it looks banal and out of place. There is a place a few houses down on Park that has some amazing landscaping and the Circus House always inspires.

Seriously? I love the place, and the location. Never been inside, but maybe someday.

roy wrote >>
    Your strategy seems kind of perverse. If you really want to be invited in, why insult the owner’s taste? Those of us who could have helped you win the bet are not likely to do so now.

Roy, it is not meant to be an insult to the owner or his taste. When my husband and I lived in the SN, we found it funny that we lived down the street from a “manor” even though our own apartment was so dilapidated. My husband is in grad school for architecture, adding another level of irony to the fact that our own house was so ramshackle. That’s what I mean when I say that Cocoa Manor looked silly in the Short North – our world and the world of Cocoa Manor were physically close but worlds apart.

I have much better manners than to insult someone’s taste publicly while simultaneously trying to ask a favor of them. This is entirely playful and not meant to offend. I wanted to frame the picture of me inside the “Manor” and give it to my husband as a graduation gift, perhaps signed by the owner. If I were the owner, I’d find that pretty funny.

JonMyers
    Participant

A knock and a hello would probably get the job done. I wouldn’t over think it.

lifeliberty
    Participant

i don’t think anyone is knocking the house itself. i have always thought it out of place too. It just doesn’t blend as well as the surrounding structures do. To me it is like putting a suburban nice house in the middle of the city. It looks like a very nice house. i think most would live there given the chance.

Our bedroom is a good example of why we found Cocoa Manor so enticing. The outdoor scrub was growing through the walls!

Contrast with:

JonMyers
    Participant

I’ve heard rumors of people with children driving in from the outskirts for beggars night just to beg at that house. I can’t say I blame them.

aaminian
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

Huh, this is one of my favorite properties in the area. I think it’s a great contrast to have such a stately house in an otherwise urban (or semi-urban) landscape. It’s especially beautiful during Christmas time.

pixiecrinkle
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    i don’t think anyone is knocking the house itself. i have always thought it out of place too. It just doesn’t blend as well as the surrounding structures do.

Exactly.

Except I will add that when it was being built, my friends and I were really perplexed about why they were able to build a bank facing the park. We were utterly convinced that the carport was a drive through teller lane until construction was finished. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION