Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Taxis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Taxis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

bucki12

I say why only 59 people a day? Where does the problem lie?

DTown
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    I say why only 59 people a day? Where does the problem lie?

Ever taken a bus with 2 pieces of checked luggage? 3 kids? A car seat? In the rain? Snow? Ever tried to figure out a foreign city’s bus time table or best stop location? Ever been on a business trip where you were trying to get somewhere just before the meeting to optimize your time? See those cheap, fast taxis? Employer springing for a rental car? Ever notice how easy it is to drive in/out of CMH any time of day?

On, and on, and on. It’s not a first choice for hardly anyone. The numbers that use our airport just couldn’t generate the percentages to make it worthwhile.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that most of COTA’s routes are not profitable.

Just like how most roads aren’t profitable.

Paul
    Participant

Walker said:

????????

ehill27
    Participant

There totally needs to be a (usable) mass transit option from the airport to downtown. I find it absurd that there is none now.

I’m sure there’s a way to make it work, like perhaps adding Easton into the mix. That way the line would also serve as a fast route from downtown to Easton and vice-versa, not to mention getting folks to the Easton area hotels, apartments and the COTA hub at Easton.

As far as 2001 goes… much has changed downtown since then, and much more changes are planned.

geoyui
    Participant

The 59 people per day was in reference to the “Capital Flier” route that no longer exists.

@Evelyn Van Til – was the Capital Flier route a more direct route? Less then 1 hour transit?

bman
    Participant

Walker said:

You are obsessed!

Patch
    Participant

Walker said:

Ah ha! you’ve been drinking!

Nice!

Happy Thursday everyone!

leftovers

Walker said:

So COTA is doubly unprofitable? Subsidized buses using subsidized roads…

DTown
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    There totally needs to be a (usable) mass transit option from the airport to downtown. I find it absurd that there is none now.

Absurd? Absurd? Why? What needs are not currently being met? Who cannot get to the airport efficiently and cost effectively? Where are these masses that need transported to CMH? Who, exactly do you envision taking this bus, day after day, hour after hour, for it to make sense?

Absurd would be doing something silly, inefficient, under utilized, and wasting money, “just cuz”.

There are real needs here in town, this ain’t one of them.

leftovers

DTown said:

There are real needs here in town, this ain’t one of them.

Maybe not, but I can imagine a lot of things that make my life better, easier, more efficient or less expensive that I didn’t know about or didn’t exist before. Saying that things are just swell may be a bit myopic. I am sending this via an iphone while riding on a bus…

There are leaps that make maybe 59 people with cell phones jump to 100,000’s with smartphones. I won’t discount bus travel just yet, even if COTA does.

geoyui
    Participant

the real number today is 36, not 59. With a more direct line, will that 36 go up, most likely. But just like airlines trying to financial justify flying between CMH and let’s say SFO, COTA needs to financially justify a direct line between downtown and the airport. The numbers are not there, yet.

leftovers

If they want to get riders of choice there needs to be a chicken and the egg approach. They have to give people reasons to ride COTA. I think the suggestion of an Easton (with Park n Ride access) route through the airport to downtown is a good example of thinking outside the box.

geoyui
    Participant

leftovers said:
    If they want to get riders of choice there needs to be a chicken and the egg approach. They have to give people reasons to ride COTA. I think the suggestion of an Easton (with Park n Ride access) route through the airport to downtown is a good example of thinking outside the box.

+1 on the Easton connection. If it’s in the right spot, maybe it could serve The Limited headquarters too?

DTown
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Maybe not, but I can imagine a lot of things that make my life better, easier, more efficient or less expensive that I didn’t know about or didn’t exist before. Saying that things are just swell may be a bit myopic. I am sending this via an iphone while riding on a bus…

There are leaps that make maybe 59 people with cell phones jump to 100,000’s with smartphones. I won’t discount bus travel just yet, even if COTA does.

So, anything that makes any one individual’s life better is justification for implementation? An on-demand chauffeur service that sits outside my door 24/7 would make my life easier, COTA needs to get on that.

I’m not saying that there aren’t people who would use a zippy bus line between CMH and downtown, I’d use it myself when practical, just that there aren’t enough numbers to justify the economics of it. 100,000’s? From where? 6 million passengers per year go through CMH. 5% of those people are going to take a bus downtown? Come on.

And to the Easton proposition, the longer you extend the route, the more buses you’d need to serve it, in order to keep the times reasonable. You’d likely be making things worse, unless there are really throngs of people going back and forth from Easton to the airport or downtown.

Until you get the volume at the airport, I just don’t see this as a necessary service. Given the reasonable, efficient alternative of a taxi.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: