Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Taxis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Taxis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author

DTown
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I am pretty sure most major cities worth their salt have a mass transit solution directly connecting downtown with the airport.

Personally I think there should be a free COTA connector service line on High St.

Rubber tire trolley – bridge the gap before light rail

Yeah, but to address a real need, either in volume, cost, or time/logistics. We have none of those issues at our airport. It’s a 15 minute taxi ride any time of day. For 20 bucks tops. Why would you put a bus line where it would be virtually guaranteed to be 90% empty 90% of the time?

I think taxis are the ideal transit solution for this particular case.

A free downtown circulator though? I’d like that.

mrpoppinzs

Montreal was having a conniption fit over a proposal to replace the 747 bus line at $2.86 a fair with collective taxis at $13.71 a fair from downtown to the airport. Columbus is not that unique of a circumstance. Columbus uses a hub and spoke system which already has downtown as the hub and could have some stops on the way as long as no transfer was required.

DTown
    Participant

SusanB said:
    I was just in DC for a conference last weekend and of course I took the Metro to my hotel in Dupont Circle. So yes, in other cities people do take mass transit from the airport. I have done the same in Montreal, Baltimore, Atlanta, NYC, and Boston many times.

Subways or light rail. Because taxis would take forever at rush hour and cost a fortune. Not a fair comparison. You didn’t take a subway in Montreal, and the bus there would be pretty useless if it were an express that just dropped you off at Bonaventure. It pretty much runs the length of the city, the airport just happens to be at one end, making it viable for them.

geoyui
    Participant

DTown said:
    Yeah, but to address a real need, either in volume, cost, or time/logistics. We have none of those issues at our airport. It’s a 15 minute taxi ride any time of day. For 20 bucks tops. Why would you put a bus line where it would be virtually guaranteed to be 90% empty 90% of the time?

I think taxis are the ideal transit solution for this particular case.

A free downtown circulator though? I’d like that.

I’ve never seen the bus from the airport anywhere near 20% full.

And +1 on the free downtown bus route. If we’re talking about convention goers/tourist needs, a free ride around downtown would be ideal.

DTown
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Montreal was having a conniption fit over a proposal to replace the 747 bus line at $2.86 a fair with collective taxis at $13.71 a fair from downtown to the airport. Columbus is not that unique of a circumstance.

Traffic, congestion and distance in Montreal is nothing like Columbus. It can easily take an hour plus to drive downtown at peak times.

mrpoppinzs

geoyui said:

Because it is a pain in the ass to use…

Cbusbill
    Participant

SusanB said:
    I was just in DC for a conference last weekend and of course I took the Metro to my hotel in Dupont Circle. So yes, in other cities people do take mass transit from the airport. I have done the same in Montreal, Baltimore, Atlanta, NYC, and Boston many times.

I’m honestly in favor of making it easier to get from CMH to downtown on public transit….so take this as just an honest question…you feel the public transportation options from NYC airports to Manhattan is materially better than in Columbus? Neither LGA or JFK are linked directly to the subway, and taking a bus can take an hour on a good day. A taxi has been my only realistic option.

geoyui
    Participant

Another key figure is just the number of passengers flying thru cmh vs. other airports. CMH has roughly 7 million passengers pass thru our gates, whereas Montreal almost doubles that at 13 million. No need to mention BOS, NYC, ATL, Washington, Baltimore.

SusanB
    Participant

M60 bus from Manhattan and Astoria
    With the M60 bus, you can travel to all terminals at LaGuardia from the West Side, the East Side or Astoria (Queens). The M60 runs between 106 St and Broadway in Manhattan and LaGuardia Airport from approximately 5 am to 1 am, seven days a week. The M60 serves all airport terminals. Connections can be made with all north-south Manhattan subway lines or with the N and Q trains at the Astoria Blvd station.

If you pay your fare with MetroCard, you can transfer free between the subway and the M60 bus. The M60 also makes convenient connections with MTA Metro-North Railroad at the 125 St station. Travel time between Broadway and 116 St and the Delta Terminal is approximately 40 minutes.

So yeah, it takes a while but it does get you there. Sometimes a taxi is just as slow (and way more $$).

geoyui
    Participant

Cbusbill said:
    I’m honestly in favor of making it easier to get from CMH to downtown on public transit….so take this as just an honest question…you feel the public transportation options from NYC airports to Manhattan is materially better than in Columbus? Neither LGA or JFK are linked directly to the subway, and taking a bus can take an hour on a good day. A taxi has been my only realistic option.

I’m in agreement that I do wish better bus service from CMH to downtown/convention area. I’ve taken the bus from LGA into manhattan. It’s about an hour long, and the bus both to and from was packed.

I believe there is now a train line going to JFK, but I could be wrong.

Graybeak
    Participant

Maybe they need to set up some sort of rail shuttle from the airport to downtown.
    Nothing heavy mind you, but just a light solution. Kind of like the terminal trains in Atlanta, but to downtown.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Maybe they need to set up some sort of rail shuttle from the airport to downtown.
    Nothing heavy mind you, but just a light solution. Kind of like the terminal trains in Atlanta, but to downtown.

Evelyn Van Til
    Participant

geoyui said:

+1 There are an average of 182/weekday taxi pickups at the airport going downtown. These of course do not include a return trip, which is required for bus route operation.

The Airport recently put out an RFP for a private bus operator to connect airport to downtown and did not receive any responsive proposals (likely due to a small market).

COTA used to have the #73 “Capital Flier” Express that ran in 2001 from downtown to airport. It averages 59 pass/weekday and was terminated because it was the worst performing route.

Currently, the #92 Crosstown serves the airport and with a transfer will take you to a bus stop right in front of the Convention Center. The #92 averages 36 daily boardings from the airport.

bucki12

Evelyn Van Til said:

The Airport recently put out an RFP for a private bus operator to connect airport to downtown and did not receive any responsive proposals (likely due to a small market).

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most of COTA’s routes are not profitable. Private carriers wouldn’t touch them with a 10 ft pole, but COTA is highly subsidized to help people get where they need to go. Linking forms of mass transit seems to make a lot of sense*, and figuring out why it isn’t working or hasn’t worked in the past seems to be in order. I don’t know too much about the airport route but at over an hour plus a transfer COTA seems a really shitty way to get there. I am not sure of the sea of cars in the airport lots but a lot of those may be missed opportunities.

As has been brought up before, people with choices are being taught not to choose COTA.

*especially as CMH continues to grow

DTown
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that most of COTA’s routes are not profitable. Private carriers wouldn’t touch them with a 10 ft pole, but COTA is highly subsidized to help people get where they need to go. Linking forms of mass transit seems to make a lot of sense, and figuring out why it isn’t working or hasn’t worked in the past seems to be in order. I don’t know too much about the airport route but at over an hour plus a transfer COTA seems a really shitty way to get there. I am not sure of the sea of cars in the airport lots but a lot of those may be missed opportunities.

As has been brought up before, people with choices are being taught not to choose COTA.

I just don’t understand this kind of attitude. Did you not see the numbers in the post? 59 passengers a DAY! And it’s the airport, so a bus would have to run frequently to make any sense at all. That’s the opportunity. 59 people a day. Subsidized or not, 59 people. You could offer free bus rides, and still not generate that many more riders because riding a bus to/from the airport is not a great choice for all but a very, very few passengers. If you don’t want to park, you have a very, very good alternative, cheap, and, crap, less than 200 people a day choose that. Where is the opportunity?

This a good example of where Columbus is the size of many other cities, but is very different in some areas that matter.182 taxi rides a day to downtown from our airport, that’s all. We could use better transportation options, but drawing a line in the sand and arguing that COTA is useless because buses don’t run to the airport just isn’t productive. The economics don’t support it.

ETA: If COTA were running such a bus, we’d all be sitting here bitching about how COTA is wasting our tax dollars running empty buses to/from the airport all day.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: