Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Taxis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Taxis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author

jackson

Good day.

I landed at CMH and got in line to take a cab home. I found that there is a $3 surcharge which ends up being almost 20% of the total cost. I asked the attendant if I could call a cab myself. He said no. That if I wanted to take a cab from the airport I can only get one from the line. My cab driver confirmed this when he dropped me off.

Is this true? Does this make sense? Thanks.

roy
    Participant

There’s usually a pamphlet explaining the rates and how to contact the regulatory agency located in the taxi you can take with you, this link might help:

http://flycolumbus.com/to-from-port-columbus/taxis/

pez
    Participant

There is a $3.00 airport surcharge imposed by the airport, any cab authorized to use that airport facilities will charge it.

Click to access customerrights.pdf

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Having taxis there readily available is worth something.

Twixlen
    Participant

It’s also something that seems pretty common at other airports. The charge may not be so blatant, but it’s there. Cabbies have to pay beaucoup extra to even get to be an airport cabbie, I think.

Mercurius
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    It’s also something that seems pretty common at other airports. The charge may not be so blatant, but it’s there. Cabbies have to pay beaucoup extra to even get to be an airport cabbie, I think.

What’s not common is no public transportation at all. You can’t take COTA from the airport to the convention center. I don’t think COTA goes to the airport at all?

geoyui
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    What’s not common is no public transportation at all. You can’t take COTA from the airport to the convention center. I don’t think COTA goes to the airport at all?

COTA does serve the airport:

Public Bus Service/COTA to CMH[/url]

mrpoppinzs

geoyui said:
    COTA does serve the airport:

Public Bus Service/COTA to CMH[/url]

To get there from the convention center it takes an hour, one transfer and a half mile walk.

http://goo.gl/maps/xdo23

peter
    Participant

To get there from the convention center it takes an hour, one transfer and a half mile walk.

That is a damn shame and an embarrassment. It’s a 12-minute drive. How is possible that there’s no direct COTA bus? Who’s running the show over there?

Cbusbill
    Participant

Could be that most folks attending conventions from out of town will use shuttles provided by the downtown hotels, rather than haul their luggage onto a COTA bus.

RhondaH

Even with a convention there would probably be a lot of different travelers coming in at different times on different flights. I was surprised there was no easy way to get to downtown on a bus when I first came to Columbus.

DTown
    Participant

Cbusbill said:
    Could be that most folks attending conventions from out of town will use shuttles provided by the downtown hotels, rather than haul their luggage onto a COTA bus.

Yeah, I’m a bit fuzzy on this myself. Who flies into town on business and looks to hop on board a city bus to take them to their hotel?

I mean, where would it even stop? At the convention center? How does that help someone staying off-property? It wouldn’t be worth the few bucks more a taxi costs. Its cheap and easy to get downtown, that’s why bus service isn’t necessary.

I’m way for better public transportation here, but I don’t think sub $20 cab rides from CMH to downtown hotels are going to put off many corporate travelers.

mrpoppinzs

I am pretty sure most major cities worth their salt have a mass transit solution directly connecting downtown with the airport.

Personally I think there should also be a free COTA connector service line on High St.

Rubber tire trolley – bridge the gap before light rail

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I agree it isn’t great for corporate travelers or convention go-ers, but I’ve certainly found myself wishing there was bus service to the airport.

SusanB
    Participant

I was just in DC for a conference last weekend and of course I took the Metro to my hotel in Dupont Circle. So yes, in other cities people do take mass transit from the airport. I have done the same in Montreal, Baltimore, Atlanta, NYC, and Boston many times.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: