Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Olympic Mixed-Use Apartment Development - Former Olympic Swim Club

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Olympic Mixed-Use Apartment Development – Former Olympic Swim Club

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)
  • Author

DouginCMH
    Participant

I certainly agree that this trend will hold back development in Clintonville. I mean, it already has. We don’t know yet what’ll happen on Indianola. But if this does go south, my real concern is how it might affect prospects for a far more important location: the vital North High/North Broadway intersection.

I don’t disagree that a more organized network of support for smart development would be helpful (hence my mention of Clintonville, Inc., which looks to be all but dormant). That said, I don’t think one can avoid getting around the central role the Clintonville Area Commission plays in this issue. The CAC has a pretty shitty reputation among developers. At best, it comes across as being a passive group when it comes to development opportunities in Clintonville. Too often the commissioners present themselves as gatekeepers; it’s the ‘Commission of No’. But it is the CAC that holds the fairly marginal decision-making power that actually resides in Clintonville. And that body has been at times been taken over (a majority block, anyway) by people wanting to stop certain projects, or been populated by those who are all too willing to pander to whatever chicken little minority manages to fill up the meeting room at Whetstone Library.

The CAC has more often than not struck me as a weak, dysfunctional body. Yet its the one with primary responsibility for overseeing development in Clintonville. That’s a big problem.

jbcmh81
    Participant

[quote=1044536]I certainly agree that this trend will hold back development in Clintonville. I mean, it already has. We don’t know yet what’ll happen on Indianola. But if this does go south, my real concern is how it might affect prospects for a far more important location: the vital North High/North Broadway intersection.

I don’t disagree that a more organized network of support for smart development would be helpful (hence my mention of Clintonville, Inc., which looks to be all but dormant). That said, I don’t think one can avoid getting around the central role the Clintonville Area Commission plays in this issue. The CAC has a pretty shitty reputation among developers. At best, it comes across as being a passive group when it comes to development opportunities in Clintonville. Too often the commissioners present themselves as gatekeepers; it’s the ‘Commission of No’. But it is the CAC that holds the fairly marginal decision-making power that actually resides in Clintonville. And that body has been at times been taken over (a majority block, anyway) by people wanting to stop certain projects, or been populated by those who are all too willing to pander to whatever chicken little minority manages to fill up the meeting room at Whetstone Library.

The CAC has more often than not struck me as a weak, dysfunctional body. Yet its the one with primary responsibility for overseeing development in Clintonville. That’s a big problem.
    [/quote]

Can’t disagree with you at all. I’ve railed against development commissions before, and I think the CAC is probably one of the worst in the city, along with its neighbor to the south. But perhaps if the CAC saw more support for development, they would be more hesitant to be the “Commission of No”. Maybe not.

News
    Participant

Neighborhood Opposition Puts Olympic Apartments On Hold
    October 8, 2014 3:34 pm – Jesse Bethea

Plans for a large-scale development project in Clintonville have come to a halt after drawing the ire of certain community groups. Local real estate developer Kyle Katz submitted plans to construct a mixed-use building on the site of the now-closed Olympic Swim Club on Indianola Avenue to the city this summer. The building would include three floors of apartments, as well as space for street-level offices and businesses.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/neighborhood-opposition-puts-olympic-apartments-on-hold

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Kyle Katz should draw up plans for mixed-use building that looks exactly like the Olympic Swim Club building just to see what Clintonville would say.

DouginCMH
    Participant

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2015/02/24/no-plan-in-sight-for-olympic-swim-club.html

Basically, no news is… no news.

“Called back and asked if there was a timetable for deciding what’s next for the 2.34-acre property at 3450 Indianola Ave., Kyle Katz would only say:

“At this point, we’ve got no comment on the project.””

Obviously, they can’t just sit on what is, in essence, a vacant lot forever. But it’s been months since they pulled back from their original plan. I would assume that would afforded them enough time to rework the project, but who knows.

wygand
    Participant

As of yesterday, there is some construction/Demo fencing around the main structure at the pool. I also noticed some city trucks doing some work earlier in the week. Disconnecting utilities perhaps?

News
    Participant

Olympic pool in Clintonville gone for good
    By KEVIN PARKS
    Friday March 13, 2015 2:44 PM

The permit that allowed demolition of the Olympic Swim Club to begin last week never came before the Clintonville Area Commission for consideration. That’s because it didn’t have to, said CAC Chairman Daniel B. Miller. Area commissions do not have the authority to reject or even recommend rejection of requests to tear down buildings. They are empowered, if so inclined, to waive the 60-day waiting period for a demolition permit to go into effect.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2015/03/13/olympic-pool-gone-for-good.html

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

The demolition of the 76-year-old swimming facility drew mournful reactions online, with members of a Facebook forum devoted to Clintonville using emojis to express their sadness at the landmark’s ultimate demise.

You know it’s bad when people start using emojis.

bob.os
    Participant

Sounds like things are back on and the developer will be engaging the neighborhood.

Hopefully the people who are bent out of shape about the pool have gotten that out of their system.

Clintonville Area Commission District 4 Newsletter

Dear Neighbors:

I have information to share with you regarding the redevelopment of the site of the former Olympic Swim Club.

As you know, the owners of the site presented a plan for redevelopment to the Clintonville Area Commission’s Zoning & Variance Committee last fall. After the meeting, the owners decide to take time to review and revise their plans. Yesterday, I spoke with the owners and learned that they are nearly ready to submit their revised plan to the City of Columbus. The revised redevelopment plan is significantly smaller in size and scope than the original plan, which included approximately 150 residential units and 18,000 square feet of commercial space.

Before the plans are submitted, however, the owners will be contacting neighbors immediately west of the site to inform them of revised plan. My understanding is that all homes bordered by Oakland Park Avenue, Calumet Street, Brevoort Road, and Indianola Avenue will receive a flyer regarding the revised plan.

The owners will also share information regarding the revised plan at a public meeting hosted by Positively Clintonville later this month. The meeting is tentatively scheduled for 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on April 21 at the Columbus Mennonite Church, 35 Oakland Park Avenue. Details of the meeting will be provided by Positively Clintonville.

The owners will likely file their re-zoning application with the City of Columbus sometime next week. Assuming that is correct, the Clintonville Area Commission’s Zoning and Variance Committee would hear the application at its meeting on May 5, and the Commission would consider the application at its meeting on May 7. Because I anticipate a large crowd for the May 7 Commission meeting, I am looking into holding the meeting at an alternative location that can accommodate a larger audience. If the meeting is moved, the public will be provided with timely notice of the time and location of the meeting.

I look forward to the community engaging in civil discussions regarding the revised redevelopment plan for the Olympic site. We all care about our community greatly, and I hope that we can all remember that even if we disagree with one another regarding proposed changes. Also, the rest of the City is watching how Clintonville will react to the revised Olympic redevelopment plan. Let’s set a good example of how an intelligent and involved citizenry can discuss matters of public interest with civility.

Sincerely yours,

Dan Miller, Chairperson
    Clintonville Area Commission

DouginCMH
    Participant

Agreed. Got the same email. Scaled down, I can live with; I assume, though, it has to be at a certain scale to make financial sense. Wonder what sort of variances it’ll even need. And I hope they’ve retained the architectural style of the original proposal.

wpcc88
    Participant

It along with the rug store next door is gone. A lot of “progress” for Clintonville; now if we just see some movement on the High/North Broadway development I would be happy.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The new site plan and project stats are posted at livetheolympic.com.

Number of units has been reduced to 115, and retail to under 5,000 sqft. Hopefully the elevation remains similar to the original proposal.

Ned23
    Participant

Looking at the footprint, I would say that it has to be multiple stories to fit 115 units. The cutouts in front are a little weird. Would much rather see a nice restaurant patio. What it mostly is, is parking. I guess there’s room to expand later once people get used to the idea.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Unless it’s 1 story with 5,000 parking spaces, I’m sure there will be objections, but I hope the CAC approves this finally. 115 unit is not all that significantly smaller, luckily. Shame about the reduction in retail. I’m not sure why this is such an issue.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Here’s the old footprint vs the new one. The new one is in red and the caption says 4 stories 115 units.

old footprint

new

It’s a significant change, but I’m going to guess it’s about 100 apartments and 3 floors too many for Clintonville.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.