Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Olympic Mixed-Use Apartment Development - Former Olympic Swim Club

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Olympic Mixed-Use Apartment Development – Former Olympic Swim Club

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author

TomB
    Participant

The Indianola corridor between Hudson and Morse seems overdue for commercial redevelopment. Much potential here.

News
    Participant

Proposal Calls for Mixed-Use Development at Olympic Site
    August 11, 2014 2:09 pm – Brent Warren

Developer Kyle Katz has proposed a four-story, 152-unit mixed-use development for the Olympic Swim Club site at 3450 Indianola Avenue in Clintonville. He is pursuing the project with his wife, April Zimmerman Katz, who is the owner of the property and whose grandparents bought the pool in 1938, a year after it was built.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/proposal-calls-for-mixed-use-development-at-olympic-site-bw1

DouginCMH
    Participant

Very impressive. Why can’t I get beyond the concern that a sub-section of the community will manage it hate it nonetheless? That said, this really is a major test for Clintonville. If this goes through, it’ll really raise the bar for future development in the area.

I do wonder at the business plan behind this, however. It’s a major investment and gamble based on the idea that an apartment development of this size has enough pent up demand to be successful. This section of Indianola will/would look so much better if this development happens. Still, today, it’s not exactly the most sought after spot in Clintonville. So, if they build it, will they come?

The prospects for additional development in this area if this gets built are exciting (places like the Wildflower Cafe and Weiland’s will be getting a lot busier). I really wish we had integrated bike lane infrastructure already in place there, though.

Edit: True to form, the anti-project brigade has emerged over on the Clintonville Booster comments section on the article about the development.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Why can’t I get beyond the concern that a sub-section of the community will manage it hate it nonetheless?

For some people it’s just in their nature to hate change.

Nothing unique to Clintonville, or to Columbus for that matter. There are NIMBYs all over the planet.

Ned23
    Participant

Looks good. I hope they add extra noise mitigation to the construction, because the railroad tracks right behind it are pretty busy.

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>
    Why can’t I get beyond the concern that a sub-section of the community will manage it hate it nonetheless?

Nothing unique to Clintonville, or to Columbus for that matter. There are NIMBYs all over the planet.

Most of the opposition on the Clintonville Discussion Forum on FB comes from the save the pool people. They are trying to do everything they can to derail this project. It seems like a vendetta against the pool’s owner for not keeping it open.

joev
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>

The sentiment is not unique to Clintonville, but the volume and intensity are.

DouginCMH
    Participant

The pool angle is especially interesting. And frustrating, of course, I love Clintonville, but the manner in which parts of the community gets itself apoplectic over, well, change of almost any sort (an exaggeration, I admit) is little short of embarrassing. Despite the statements of the posters over on the Booster, no, in fact, they do not know that the vast majority of home owners agree with them.

What I find so childish about this is that the pool is privately owned, and the owners do not want to continue to operate it. My kids went there, too, and I hate seeing it go, but that’s just it. It’s gone. Get over it. Move on. You want a pool, raise the money to build one at Whetstone. Oh but, of course, there’s no money behind the hand-wringing. There never is. Whether it’s the Clinton Annex, the Clinton Theater, the ENB $17 million roundabout plan, now the pool, no money to back up the wishes of the vast majority of the community. Go figure. Maybe the reason why there’s no money is because the community has shot down developments like these, or been too politically weak to approve them.

I’m curious how this would possibly damage neighborhood. Kinda like how the left turn lane was going to, perhaps (of course, even those who were against it now admit it’s working just fine; and not one effing tree was cut down in the the project) I assume it has something to do with the residents being ‘renters’; a code name for students, perhaps, bringing their wild ways into the calm residential streets of Clintonville.

I wonder how many of the nay-sayers know about the Xenos compound that’ll be cropping up just east of the pool development before long.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m curious how this would possibly damage neighborhood.

Certainly couldn’t be worse than the truck traffic from the warehouses nearby, or the stunning architectural standard set by the Burger King just south of the site. :P

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Walker, just curious when the next construction roundup will be? I look forward to it every month.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker, just curious when the next construction roundup will be? I look forward to it every month.

I pretty much always do them the final Sunday of every month. Though last month I did it a week early since we were hosting the Urban Living Tour event all day that day. ;)

futureman
    Participant

Has this actually been cleared for construction? *crossing fingers*

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heh.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Heh.

<fb:post class=” fb_iframe_widget” href=”https://www.facebook.com/saveolympicpool/posts/486872998116982&#8243; fb-xfbml-state=”rendered” fb-iframe-plugin-query=”app_id=&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsaveolympicpool%2Fposts%2F486872998116982&locale=en_US&sdk=joey”><span style=”width: 552px; height: 221px; vertical-align: bottom;”><iframe name=”f28de60b223e04a” width=”1000″ height=”1000″ title=”fb:post Facebook Social Plugin” src=”http://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?app_id=&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2FFX-Xf5fQjUk.js%3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df3edfcb8c3b8eb%26domain%3Dwww.columbusunderground.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.columbusunderground.com%252Ff12b1ed889f32a6%26relation%3Dparent.parent&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsaveolympicpool%2Fposts%2F486872998116982&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&#8221; frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no” style=”border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 552px; height: 221px; visibility: visible;” allowtransparency=”true”></iframe></span></fb:post>

This is quite shocking that Clintonville residents are against a development project in order to preserve the status quo!

-Said no one ever.

nfisher2
    Participant

Went there as a kid, grew up around the corner…I still dream about the Watterson chicks in the cabanas…and I think this is looking like it will be a great development.

They will have no problem renting these units out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: