Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Olympic Mixed-Use Apartment Development - Former Olympic Swim Club

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Olympic Mixed-Use Apartment Development – Former Olympic Swim Club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

Growing up in Clintonville the Olympic Swim Club on Indianola Ave was the place to swim during your summers as a kid. Via their facebook this will they will be closing their doors for good at the Swim Club after this swim season : https://www.facebook.com/443537939007688/photos/a.463160370378778.115131.443537939007688/818117634883048/?type=1&theater

Family owned since 1938 this Clintonville Icon was featured in the Columbus Neighborhood Series: Clintonville.

More on their website: http://www.olympicswimclub.com/

“The decision to cease operations following this season was a very difficult one. We understand the role Olympic has played in the life of the community, but we must run it as a business. Sadly, with the passing of our grandparents, it is no longer a viable one.”

RBloodworth
    Participant

Wow. You think someone would want to buy this thing and keep it operational (even now, it still draws HUGE crowds of kids during the summer), although the family who owns it doesn’t seem like they’re interested in selling. Translation: They must have received a ton of cash from a developer. What a shame.

Eugene_C
    Participant

That’s too bad. I wonder what will happen to the space? It probably would have been more viable if they could have operated it year-round. But it actually sounds like the parents who ran it passed away and the kids had no interest in running it anymore.

jaycee
    Participant

Truthfully speaking, the current owner is a jerk. He is rude to the patrons and downright abusive to his employees. Every lifeguard there I have spoken to cannot stand him. He has two daughters who go to a local Christian school so he comes and opens up the pool for them, but has not shown up much in the last two or three years besides that. When he claims this pool has been a labor of love, it is truly sickening. Whatever venture he chooses to line his pockets, I will not support. Sad that his grandfather, who seemed to understand the importance of this pool to the community passed away.

substance
    Participant

Does anyone have knowledge of what is going to happen to the spot. It would seem that the land is ripe for development of condos.

Geno99
    Participant

I would really like to see the Columbus build a public natatorium that is open year-round. Some other cities in Ohio have done this. They don’t necessarily “turn a profit” but they are popular and well used and if you think of them like a public park then they are a good investment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I would really like to see the Columbus build a public natatorium that is open year-round. Some other cities in Ohio have done this. They don’t necessarily “turn a profit” but they are popular and well used and if you think of them like a public park then they are a good investment.

The Hunter Aquatic Center in Victorian Village is open all winter and closes only during the summer when the outdoor pools open:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-aquatic-center-a-best-kept-swim-secret

heresthecasey
    Participant

A preliminary site plan and application were filed July 11th by Kyle Katz (developer of the Buggyworks condos) for a new development to replace the pool, noted as “Olympic Village Apartments – Proposed Multi-Use Building.”

https://citizenaccess.columbus.gov/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Engineering&TabName=Engineering&capID1=14PCS&capID2=00000&capID3=00097&agencyCode=COLUMBUS&IsToShowInspection=

Pablo
    Participant

^I see that a civil engineering firm submitted the plan. I hope there’s an architect or landscape architect helping out with the site planning – if not, it’s going to be a pretty bland, engineered project.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Word on the street is 3-story buildings on both sides of Indianola with ground-floor retail, ~150 units in total.

DouginCMH
    Participant

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2014/08/04/applications-sought-for-apartments-restaurant-at-olympic-swim-club-site.html

“A rezoning application was filed with the city Tuesday, Aug. 5, on behalf of Olympic Beach Acquisitions LLC of Nationwide Boulevard to turn the 2.34 acres that currently includes a swimming pool complex into a mixed-use development, centered around a 54-foot-tall apartment building containing 152 units.

A 9,900-square-foot restaurant with patio and 9,959 square feet of retail space would be included in the building.”

Pablo
    Participant

futureman
    Participant

Wow, looks awesome. It absolutely exceeds any expectation I had for the sites redevelopment. Here’s hoping it doesn’t get Clintonville’d (cancelled due to density), but given the industrial neighbors I doubt it.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

If this rendering came true I’d be happy. There are really no class A apts in Clintonville and ground floor retail would be nice. People are really concerned about traffic but last time I checked Indianola through the area is U.S. Route 23.

substance
    Participant

I would think their is a demand for older folks who want to stay in the neighborhood but no longer want to take care of their houses and yards. It looks great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: