Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

DouginCMH
    Participant

3.2 beer? Really?

Agreed, that is one lazy and poorly researched article. Then again, I doubt This Week/The Booster is in line for any Pulitzer Prizes.

FoodFort
    Participant

bob.os said:
    That’s a *really* lazy story. Ward 20A isn’t ‘dry’ as the writer states. It contains both Kroger, which sells beer and wine and Smith’s Deli, which only recently started using the 3.2 beer license that it has had for many years.

It really is unbelievable that he could write that story without touching on the history with Kroger, their initial promises to never ask to sell alcohol and their multiple, deceitful attempts to go back on the promise.

It may be sad to say but alcohol sales are crucial to many grocery stores to be profitable and viable. That being said, it is important to respect the values of your community but perhaps a challenge to do that when your company culture or community culture changes or splits.

bob.os
    Participant

bob.os
    Participant

Looks like both Clintinville 20A and Beechwold 22C voted yes. Get ready for lots of lazy-ass reporting about “a huge turnaround” in “traditionally dry” areas or such BS.

#1A Columbus 20-A Local Option
    1 of 1 Precincts Reporting
    Issue Absentee May7 Votes Total
    YES 8 134 142
    NO 4 36 40

#1b Columbus 20-A Local Option
    YES 7 126 133
    NO 5 45 50

#2A Columbus 22-C Local Option
    YES 13 220 233
    NO 0 13 13

#2b Columbus 22-C Local Option
    YES 12 218 230
    NO 1 16 17

In reality Mozart’s put on one hell of a charm offensive*[/url] to convince the neighbors of their good intentions. I’m assuming that GG did the same, but since I live on the other side of High and wasn’t able to vote on their issue, I didn’t experience it.

*HT to cmh-gourmand for the reporting on Mozart’s work in Beechwold.

DouginCMH
    Participant

As someone who lives in ward 20-a, to the best of my knowledge, Global Gallery did nothing charm-offensive-wise in the community. They worked with a company in order to get the petition signatures necessary to get on the ballot, but that was it. Perhaps they mentioned it to patrons in the cafe, but the one time I asked one of the employees there about the issue, he was unaware of it (this was during the winter, before someone knocked on my door, asking if Id sign the petition). Regardless, many patrons wouldn’t have been able to vote on the measure, anyway. No signs, no flyers. Even so, the measures passed comfortably. The times, they are a changin’. Thankfully.

FoodFort
    Participant

DouginCMH said:
    As someone who lives in ward 20-a, to the best of my knowledge, Global Gallery did nothing charm-offensive-wise in the community. They worked with a company in order to get the petition signatures necessary to get on the ballot, but that was it. Perhaps they mentioned it to patrons in the cafe, but the one time I asked one of the employees there about the issue, he was unaware of it (this was during the winter, before someone knocked on my door, asking if Id sign the petition). Regardless, many patrons wouldn’t have been able to vote on the measure, anyway. No signs, no flyers. Even so, the measures passed comfortably. The times, they are a changin’. Thankfully.

I had the same experience at Global Gallery when I asked about it 3 weeks ago. The employee had no no infomration to share and did not know where to find it. Global Gallery should buy Mozart’s a drink for the assist.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

They’d probably be more confortable to roll Motzart a big fatty.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Who still brews 3.2 beer?

mrpoppinzs

DouginCMH
    Participant

Right… but unless you’re in the UK and have access to a wonderfully-crafted, well-balanced, cask-aged Mild, you’re kinda screwed. Somehow, I don’t think Smith’s is tapping real ale.

Be that as it may, it’s good to know we’ll soon have additional options in Clintonville.

bob.os
    Participant

I should note that Smith’s 3.2 beer license gradfathered into a full beer license, similar to the one that Northstar leveraged.

I’ve often wondered if there is a zoning resource to look up what other sites carry such grandfathered rights.

DouginCMH
    Participant

While waiting (patiently?) for Global Gallery to start serving beer and wine, I ran across the following article that nicely sums up the hurdles to get various kinds of alcohol licenses, especially in Clintonville:

http://www.columbuscrave.com/content/stories/2013/05/issue/liquor-laws-doing-business-in-the-dry-district.html

We could have had the Surly Girl. Damn.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: