Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

phaedrus said:
    I know it’s fashionable to rip on Clintonville here, but when you don’t know what you’re talking about you look foolish Joe. Just off the top of my head here is list of places where you can sit down and have a drink within Clintonville:

The Crest, O’Reily’s, Patrick J’s, Rafters, Bob’s, India Oak, North Star, Smith’s, Studio35, Brew-Stirs, El dorado, Wine Bistro, Zueys, Zpizza

In addition, From the Southern Border you can practically throw a rock at places like Ravari room, Ace of Cups, Cafe Bourbon, Rumba, etc.

Not as foolish as that sad, unchanged (vintage!) 1970s stretch of High Street looks.

Regardless of Clintonville’s progressivism or lack thereof, If there really are so many alcohol options, what are a few more going to hurt?

DouginCMH
    Participant

duncanfj said:
    Similarly, without the dry restriction on Indianola, we’re seeing all sort of alcohol-related development there. We’ll see how well all of these places do; personally, I have a hard time seeing how a 60 tap, growler-only beer shop can make money while keeping all that beer fresh. Time, and the local market, will tell.

Savor Growl isn’t growler only, AFAIK.

Hmmmm, nothing I’ve read has stated that you can actually drink beer there (like at The Daily Growler). Are you saying that’s your understanding? I’ve always seen it described as a convenience store/growler filling station/bottle shop, with the occasional tasting event (aka, a bigger Savor Market).

With the change Ohio law, Indianola is going from zero growler taps to, potentially, 60 (Crest) + 60 (Savor Growl) + 40 (Studio 35) + 6 (Weiland’s) + 8 (Savor Market). That’s a lot of tapped beer to roll over quickly in order to keep it fresh. If SG only sells its draft beer via growler, I’m concerned they’ll not be able to pull it off. With over 100 other growler taps on the same street, they don’t exactly have a unique product.

Dust

If keg doesn’t sell quick enough do they really stop selling it. Could there be a sale for those of us with craft taste buds and 40oz. Budget?

duncanfj
    Participant

DouginCMH said:
    Hmmmm, nothing I’ve read has stated that you can actually drink beer there (like at The Daily Growler). Are you saying that’s your understanding? I’ve always seen it described as a convenience store/growler filling station/bottle shop, with the occasional tasting event (aka, a bigger Savor Market).

With the change Ohio law, Indianola is going from zero growler taps to, potentially, 60 (Crest) + 60 (Savor Growl) + 40 (Studio 35) + 6 (Weiland’s) + 8 (Savor Market). That’s a lot of tapped beer to roll over quickly in order to keep it fresh. If SG only sells its draft beer via growler, I’m concerned they’ll not be able to pull it off. With over 100 other growler taps on the same street, they don’t exactly have a unique product.

No, I don’t think they will have space to drink, but your statement made it sound like they will be selling only growlers, which I don’ think is the case. I believe they will still be selling bottles as well. Savor seems to turn kegs over pretty quickly, and they’re further away from what I would consider to be an area with a large number of craft drinkers.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    I don’t either, but nobody has yet answered my question: Can Mozart’s liquor license be transfered to another establishment without the vote of the community?

A license can be transfered but it can’t be “upgraded” and it is expensive to buy. So if a beer and wine license with or without Sunday Sales is transfered it can’t be upgraded to a full booze license.

Another item I think the alcohol adverse residents have not considered is that the alcohol landscape is that the choices have expanded so much in the last ten years. 20 years ago, I could see the fear, worried that a cheap liquor store would open and sell booze to an alcohol deprived community but since 2000 we have seen the addition of two savors, weilands, Kroger at Graceland, etc., who have giant selections.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Also – if the community wants to grow – it needs stronger locally owned businesses of the food variety. If not, we continue with mediocrity as described below.

http://cmhgourmand.com/tag/clintonville-pizza-challenge/

bob.os
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said:
    Another item I think the alcohol adverse residents have not considered is that the alcohol landscape is that the choices have expanded so much in the last ten years. 20 years ago, I could see the fear, worried that a cheap liquor store would open and sell booze to an alcohol deprived community but since 2000 we have seen the addition of two savors, weilands, Kroger at Graceland, etc., who have giant selections.

Where do you see these “alcohol adverse residents?” I’m struggling to find non-anecdotal evidence of such people.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

bob.os said:
    Where do you see these “alcohol adverse residents?” I’m struggling to find non-anecdotal evidence of such people.

I don’t think there are many left. At least on my street and the streets nearby, the signs supporting the issue are out in force. Historically – there have been pockets of alcohol adverse residents.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said:
    A license can be transfered but it can’t be “upgraded” and it is expensive to buy. So if a beer and wine license with or without Sunday Sales is transfered it can’t be upgraded to a full booze license.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it’s not really a concern.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

When I lived in Clintonville, the beer was to be bought from the Co-op, and every resident I saw had a different, smokeable intoxicant at hand ;)

Graybeak
    Participant

Folks say that Clintonville is not anti-progress, but most of the times you read about things in the news, it is always because the folks that live there don’t want something.

They don’t want a gas station/convenience store with a drive way, they don’t want a left hand turn lane onto High Street.

Yes, it may be a very vocal minority, but that is what people outside of the neighborhood hear.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Perhaps. I certainly agree with your ‘very vocal minority’ comment. The state of the CAC for much of the past couple of years didn’t help matters any, either. I assume, though, that much of this has to do with perpetuation of a modest, albeit dated, stereotype, coupled with a general lack of coverage of positive things happening in the community that don’t really have any local resistance.

DouginCMH
    Participant

FoodFort
    Participant

Do get out the vote in you live in the effected areas.

http://cmhgourmand.com/2013/04/22/booze-in-the-ville-the-politics-and-mathematics-of-alcohol-sales/

It is important that there be a decisive vote to set the tone for the whole community.

bob.os
    Participant

DouginCMH said:
    Latest news on the pending vote:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2013/04/30/mozarts-global-gallery-ask-for-right-to-serve-alcohol.html

That’s a *really* lazy story. Ward 20A isn’t ‘dry’ as the writer states. It contains both Kroger, which sells beer and wine and Smith’s Deli, which only recently started using the 3.2 beer license that it has had for many years.

It really is unbelievable that he could write that story without touching on the history with Kroger, their initial promises to never ask to sell alcohol and their multiple, deceitful attempts to go back on the promise.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: