Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author

ToddAnders
    Blocked

The issue in Clintonville has been DeFourny; he owns a real estate brokerage and used to be president of the Clintonville Area Commission. He retired (i.e. was removed) from his position and that has cleared the way for a lot of new development. I think you can see a lot to come to Clintonville in the next few years.

Interesting side note; Cameron Mitchell lived in Clintonville and has never considered it for a restaurant b/c of the obstacles that DeFourny put in place.

leftovers

CMH Gourmand said:
    Good…interesting discussion. So far I have not seen any of the wet areas of Clintonville hurt by the sale of alcohol. I am unclear about the fear of the dry sections going wet that someone would have. I don’t see the community supporting a 40 oz style bar. Hustler died off pretty quick, a god business owner knows they need to cater to what the community wants.

I don’t get it myself, but it isn’t an isolated mindset. There seems to be a similar approach in UA.

zp945
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    The issue in Clintonville has been DeFourny; he owns a real estate brokerage and used to be president of the Clintonville Area Commission. He retired (i.e. was removed) from his position and that has cleared the way for a lot of new development. I think you can see a lot to come to Clintonville in the next few years.

Interesting side note; Cameron Mitchell lived in Clintonville and has never considered it for a restaurant b/c of the obstacles that DeFourny put in place.

You’re telling me that DeFourney has more clout than Cameron Mitchell? I don’t claim to know all the side issues (or Cameron Mitchell personally) but I have a hard time believing a relatively small time real estate agent prevented one of the most successful restaurateurs in the Midwest from opening a restaurant. There are a myriad of issues preventing development in clintonville and its not even really that bad. Its a strong neighborhood with a lot going for it. I love living here and its getting better all the time. I guess Cameron will realize he missed the boat in a few years by letting DeFourney push him around.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

No, what I am telling you is that DeFourny made it such a pain in the ass to obtain a new liquor license in Clintonville that Cameron didn’t need to deal with it. It wasn’t worth the hassle; there are plenty of other neighborhoods who welcome him with open arms.

A sister restaurant ran and co-owned by Gary, Rusty Bucket, was scheduled to be a part of the development at Broadway and High 4-5 years ago. Between DeFourny and the others on the Clintonville Area Commission, they successfully killed that development and now they have a pile of dirt.

Between DeFourny gone and new commission members, the future looks up for Clintonville residents and commercial real estate development.

joev
    Participant

I find it hilarious that there are a lot of people in Clintonville who think having a restaurant that serves alcohol or the ability to buy beer at the grocery store will lead to the collapse of their civilization.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

My wishful thinking is that the Elm & Iron building next to Kroger is destined to be a microbrewery rather than a home decor store. (Sorry Elm & Iron, nothing personal)

phaedrus
    Participant

joev said:
    I find it hilarious that there are a lot of people in Clintonville who think having a restaurant that serves alcohol or the ability to buy beer at the grocery store will lead to the collapse of their civilization.

It’s not a very unique stance when you consider the demographics of the area Joe. As CMH Gourmand’s article points out, Those who strongly oppose are generally of an older generation and associate effects of alchohol sales with a different time.

Alluding to that portion of Clintonville residesnt as being “a lot” or a majority is probably not very accurate.

Dust

Would be nice to find something to fill the area. Is food and alcohol the only bussiness model that makes profit? I enjoy seeing small local specialty shops . Seems Columbus loves to eat and drink. Let’s get creative and make this area something special. Unfortunately I’m to poor to live on that side of 71. I do enjoy hanging out and shop there often. Not against alcohol sales just saying.

joev
    Participant

phaedrus said:
    It’s not a very unique stance when you consider the demographics of the area Joe. As CMH Gourmand’s article points out, Those who strongly oppose are generally of an older generation and associate effects of alchohol sales with a different time.

Alluding to that portion of Clintonville residesnt as being “a lot” or a majority is probably not very accurate.

Well, maybe I should have phrased that: Enough to keep the neighborhood largely dry since the Anti Saloon League days. Clintonville is the most progress-averse neighborhood in the city.

rory
    Participant

joev said:

It could really mess things up. Imagine a bunch of boozed up old hippies wandering aimlessly around the intersection of High and East North Broadway and you’re trying to turn left.

DouginCMH
    Participant

joev said:

As long as it’s a minority, I’m cool with such diversity of opinion.

drew
    Participant

The thing I don’t understand about proponents of continued dryness is this – why do they assume the worst from permitting alcohol sales? There are so many examples of middle class (and higher) Columbus neighborhoods that thrive and maintain their identities while permitting alcohol – Grandview, Bexley, Victorian Village, to name a few – and I can’t think of a single neighborhood that you can point to as an example to the contrary.

Clintonville strikes me as being a very stable and established neighborhood overall – are the residents afraid of themselves? That they’ll be unable to maintain their Clintonville-esque composure in the face of easily accessible tipple?

joev
    Participant

Maybe they’re worried that if they start serving alcohol, the barbarians of Worthington and Upper Arlington will invade and increase traffic on their blissfully empty streets.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said:
    I don’t see the community supporting a 40 oz style bar.

I don’t either, but nobody has yet answered my question: Can Mozart’s liquor license be transfered to another establishment without the vote of the community?

buckette13

drew said:
    The thing I don’t understand about proponents of continued dryness is this – why do they assume the worst from permitting alcohol sales? There are so many examples of middle class (and higher) Columbus neighborhoods that thrive and maintain their identities while permitting alcohol – Grandview, Bexley, Victorian Village, to name a few – and I can’t think of a single neighborhood that you can point to as an example to the contrary.

Clintonville strikes me as being a very stable and established neighborhood overall – are the residents afraid of themselves? That they’ll be unable to maintain their Clintonville-esque composure in the face of easily accessible tipple?

Something I have noticed is that the bums on High Street end around the plasma center near Hudson. I get hit up a lot along High from there south all the way into downtown. I have seen a couple of beggars on Grandview Ave, but the cops seem to show up immediately. This goes with the territory of a busy urban nieghborhood and restaurants are a higher turnover crowd. Maybe this mixed with some of the Winking Lizard issues is what is scaring them? As a single female I have felt a little uneasy at times.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: