Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events Clintonville: Get out the Vote May 7th. Let's Drop 2 Dry Districts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

billbix

I have a lot of family in Clintonville and I have to say that I think the current alcohol policy has served the area well over the years and historically helped the community remain stable while that has not been the case for several other adjacent inner ring areas.

bob.os
    Participant

More detail:

There are three options on the ballot for the May 7 primary election. Detail can be found in this PDF from the Franklin County Board of Elections.

Mozarts in Beechwold (in the old Beechwold Tavern, in fact!) is requesting weekday sales. From what I gather Mozarts has done a good job of engaging the neighbors. Scottie McBean enjoyed a rather adversarial relationship with the neighbors, which was one of the reasons their option failed.

Global Gallery in Clintonville, two blocks north of N. Broadway has two options up. One for weekday sales, another for Sunday sales. I live close to them, but not in their precinct, but haven’t seen any info from them on their plans or the option.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I admit that I don’t know much about liquor permits and this may be a moot point, but here is my concern: OK so Mozart’s is a great place and they are responsible and wouldn’t lead to problems for folks in Zooland. However, what if they close or move? Then can’t someone set up a “Cheap 40oz” bar in the same location? If the community could vote on ONLY approving Mozart in its current form, then I think it’s great. But hopefully someone can explain whether my concern is possible or not.

cbus11

I agree that Clintonville has remained insulated from a lot of the issues that especially plagued High St in the 70′, 80’s and even 90’s. While I understand the argument that alcohol might spark the restaurant industry in Clintonville I don’t think the current system is broken and I think it still serves a valid purpose.

susank

It would depend on how it is implemented. Personally though, I think there are plenty of options already in Clintonville and the surrounding areas. The system as it stands now seems to work and it would be a shame to risk hurting the quiet residential feel that has existed so long despite being so close to places like OSU campus.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I guess I don’t understand all this talk of ‘the system.’ I understand the extended dry section of North High Street. I vaguely understand the processes by which various businesses attempt to gain the ability to sell alcohol in that area; Northstar, I believe, was able to gain a permit based on some sort of grandfathered status at that location (or so I’d heard). But individual businesses getting on the ballot in order to be able to sell alcohol on this section of High Street IS the system, right? These ballot measures only relate to these particular requests; they don’t affect ‘the system’ in any way. While I’d agree that a dry section of High Street has certainly kept that portion of C-ville quiet and residential, it’s also been a factor that’s led to the nature of development on High Street, and the lack thereof near N. Broadway and High. I’m all for paying close attention to what kinds of places the community tries to attract in that area but, to me (I’ve lived in the area for 8 years), that section of N. High is rather dead after 5pm; I’d appreciate a bit more life on N High, the sort of hum that’s developed because of, say, Northstar.

By the way, The Seasoned Farmhouse/Edible Columbus cooking school will also serve alcohol, as part of its course offerings. Finally, This Week Clintonville had a piece on the Global Gallery, Mozart’s efforts a couple of months ago. I’ll certainly be voting in favor of these ballot measured next month:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2013/02/26/mozarts-global-gallery-businesses-plan-to-ask-area-voters-for-liquor-privileges.html

leftovers

I know a couple of area residents who are quite happy the area is dead (umm quiet) after 5pm. Personally I disagree with them, but that is part of the reason they chose to live in those sections of Clintonville.

DouginCMH
    Participant

No doubt. And I know a lot of long-time residents who are frustrated at the lack of this kind of development.

There’s, I’m sure, a schism in the community about this kind of thing. Playing sociologist for a moment, I assume that a lot of this has to do with the demographic shift that’s taken place in Clintonville over the past generation. I believe the area used to be fairly conservative, but if now solidly liberal come election day. And I think recent alcohol-related ballot measures (Kroger, The Wine Bistro) have passed with something like 65% approval (going from memory).

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

I love the residential areas between High and Indianola, but the commercial corridors of High and Indianola themselves…not so much. There seems to be so much untapped commercial potential along these corridors, and realistically, letting some booze (at least beer/wine) flow might help them realize that potential. An entirely new tenant base would open up.

As the neighborhood cycles from older residents to younger residents, I gotta believe much of the commercial demand on High will cycle from book, sewing, antique, medical uses, etc. to a potential mix more resembling Grandview Avenue, if alcohol is permitted.

There’s also no way that the SW corner of High & North Broadway will be fully redeveloped without allowing alcohol on that corner.

susank

When I was shown some houses for sale in the area the realtor mentioned the alcohol restrictions as a big plus. Personally I would like to see it develop like Grandview Ave but maybe some of the current residents fear this as a gateway to that Winking Lizard thread.

Winking Lizard on Grandview Ave thread

GCrites80s
    Participant

It’s much tougher to run a non-fast food restaurant without a liquor license today. The husks of many former no-alcohol restaurants such as Howard Johnson’s line High though there.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Funny, my realtor had to explain to very confused clients why we couldn’t buy beer at the nearby Kroger. The fear I’ve heard mentioned is that, for reasons I could never fathom, OSU students might suddenly abandon campus-area bars for the exciting nightlife in Clintonville if we allowed beer to be sold on North High Street. People are always going to find something to fret about. But Clintonville isn’t Grandview, and while I’d appreciate some Grandview-esque development in the ‘ville, the combination of small lots and rather bizarre zoning in Grandview is a mix I have very little interest in. Plus, there are so many gaping holes in the North High Street corridor, Clintonville is nowhere near becoming over burdened with alcohol-themed development.

zp945
    Participant

I believe the portion south of N. Broadway is already wet. It’s just an issue of certain new developments being blocked for a number of reasons, old buildings and landlords that don’t want to chip in for improvements needed for bars/restaurants. I have lived in the area for seven years and I would love to see this type of development, I’ve even tried to develop it a few times to no avail. I would also like to see my property value go up, like Grandview, if this type of development were to happen.

The stretch north of N Broadway is a totally different beast, there isn’t a lot of usable locations for bar/restaurants and I don’t think the few that might pop up would destroy the fabric of the neighborhood. I see more and more young families in the area and the schools (especially elementary) are very good or great. If we could add a few amenities to the already existing parks and schools I think a lot more people would stay for much longer.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Good…interesting discussion. So far I have not seen any of the wet areas of Clintonville hurt by the sale of alcohol. I am unclear about the fear of the dry sections going wet that someone would have. I don’t see the community supporting a 40 oz style bar. Hustler died off pretty quick, a good business owner knows they need to cater to what the community wants.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: