Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 239 total)
  • Author

We checked out the theater when we were building out the studio. We thought if we could renovate it into a venue, we could run CAT5 from the theater to our control and record shows live. Unfortunately everything stated about the condition is true, and there’s an asbestos issue as well. Plus, I guess zoning codes would require a certain amount of parking for the theater that would require building a parking garage, since there isn’t enough surface parking around. Our estimates were in the $5 million range. I’m all about project managing if someone’s got that kinda scratch!

cehall

Right asbestos curtains, I forgot about that part.

Another issue with liquor licenses might be that there is an elementary school across the street. I’m not all that familiar with liquor licensing but I think what little bit I did read says that you have to be so many feet from schools.

Patch
    Participant

cehall wrote >>
    Right asbestos curtains, I forgot about that part.
    Another issue with liquor licenses might be that there is an elementary school across the street. I’m not all that familiar with liquor licensing but I think what little bit I did read says that you have to be so many feet from schools.

Hmmm. This would be interesting to know, since St. Mary’s school is pretty close to the MoJoe lounge here in the Village.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

There are no laws that prohibit bars from being a certain distance from churches or schools. If there were, it would wipe out much of the Short North and German Village bars!

Schools and churches do have the opportunity to review and oppose new liquor permits. I’ve applied for four permits all in areas densely populated by schools and churches and never encountered any problems or opposition to date.

People usually use “funky” or “quirky” as adjectives to describe CV. Unfortunately, “prudish” and “puritanical” are also appropriate. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that North Arlingtonville, err, Clintonville, that is largely responsible for keeping the neighborhood mostly dry. It looks like this block is also a victim of our so-called “smarter growth” policies. Subsidies for sprawling greenfield development vs brownfield/infill compounded with suburban parking requirements that have no place whatsoever in an urban environment.

Cookie

Columbusite wrote >>
    People usually use “funky” or “quirky” as adjectives to describe CV. Unfortunately, “prudish” and “puritanical” are also appropriate. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that North Arlingtonville, err, Clintonville, that is largely responsible for keeping the neighborhood mostly dry. It looks like this block is also a victim of our so-called “smarter growth” policies. Subsidies for sprawling greenfield development vs brownfield/infill compounded with suburban parking requirements that have no place whatsoever in an urban environment.

Oh god, shut up already.

bababoohi

Cookie wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>

Oh god, shut up already.

+1. I guess those who want it to be dry are wrong? I’m a boozer just like the rest, but if the community wants it dry, then dry it is. If you don’t like it, don’t live or open a business there, simple. That being said, if you DO want it dry, then don’t complain that there aren’t businesses and restaurants willing to move into the empty spaces.

bob.os
    Participant

bababoohi wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>

Oh god, shut up already.

+1. I guess those who want it to be dry are wrong? I’m a boozer just like the rest, but if the community wants it dry, then dry it is. If you don’t like it, don’t live or open a business there, simple. That being said, if you DO want it dry, then don’t complain that there aren’t businesses and restaurants willing to move into the empty spaces.

+2

I love how the ‘Dry Clintonville’ myth is propagated by those who claim to be against it.

Talcott

I was walking past the Clintonville Electric building this evening and noticed that the city had posted a warning that it would be declared abandoned in 30 days if a number of violations were not rectified (the specific violations were listed on additional pages that I could not read without taking the notice down, but I imagine they relate to the graffiti and broken windows).

Does anyone know, if things are not taken care of, what exactly it means for the property to be declared abandoned? Would it become city property and then auctioned eventually?

If it is going to stay empty, I wonder if something could be done just inside the windows to make the empty building look less, well, empty. I’d love to see the windows turned into mini galleries to display local art, or even just odd displays. Or, from another direction, the windows could be boarded up and each board could become a large painting/mural. I understand the reason why the building isn’t selling (or isn’t being sold) but I wish there was something to be done with it in the meantime.

Three Words:

Clintonville Area Commission

Mission Statement:
    Old people who wish the neighborhood to never advance.

It’s not the dry issue that deters potential restaurateurs to Clintonville. An ethnic restaurant owner I spoke to said he would love to open a restaurant in CV but the rent was too high.

I wish some of these landlords would work with potential businesses that could bring some life to the neighborhood instead of leaving the storefront empty waiting for someone to pay their high rent.

North Clintonville is holding back South Clintonville. Prove me wrong. This is where secession would be beneficial since the south end can become even cooler while the north end gets to keep their section of High dry and free of many interesting places. Without that Clintonville as a whole will not progress like Bristol said (the north side has many more residents). The south is the area with a much heavier progressive population which would most likely change matters if they could. This is evidenced by the businesses you see here and the large amount of cyclists, vegans, etc. Clintonville is still an unofficially designated area, so if the newly-formed South Clintonville Area Commission says booze is OK the city would have to take them as seriously as the existing commission or a Beechwold commission for that matter.

ssnyder5

If you have an issue that you would like addressed, get involved.

The CAC has many forums for community involvement.

The planning and development committee specifically provides an arena for discussing all issues affecting Clintonville.

Talk to your commissioner, bring it to the planning and development committee, speak during the public comments portion of the monthly meetings.

deraj1013
    Participant

From the Dispatch…

Crews demolishing Clintonville Electric, theater this morning

Crews are demolishing the Clinton Theater and the former home of Clintonville Electric on High Street this morning.

Read more

Talcott

Heading down there right now. I’ll try to get some photos.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 239 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: