Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 239 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

Who is arguing for preservation? I’ve never heard it brought up as an issue for this project.

jbcmh81 brought it up, about half a page up above your post.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>
    Who is arguing for preservation? I’ve never heard it brought up as an issue for this project.

Preservation not in the sense of saving anything that exists at the site currently. It was more a broad reference to being anti-change.

Eugene_C
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eugene_C wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div><br>

Preservation not in the sense of saving anything that exists at the site currently. It was more a broad reference to being anti-change.

Well, they have been approving liquor licenses, so they’re not entirely anti-change.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Clintonville will approve smaller scale development like the one below. However, there is currently too much money to be made on larger projects right now so most developers aren’t going to waste limited resources on small stuff. Maybe after the the initial surge dies down they will start looking at smaller projects.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Clintonvillains are just not wanting apartments in that area…afraid they might eventually attract ‘the wrong element’ smh.

Yeah, all those young hipsters with their beards and their bicycles and their WiFis and recycling bins… who wants them? ;)

DouginCMH
    Participant

Ah, this…

Again, I question why developers continue to try to build anything beyond fast food outlets in Clintonville. Biggest NIMBYers outside of Powell. Too many residents believe the entire area should be treated like a precious time capsule, perfectly preserved in its present state for all eternity.

Which says nothing at all about “preservation” being any sort of an issue whatsoever re: this project. There were some residents who wanted to look into ways to preserve the old Clinton Theater, but the building was too far gone, and it was torn down a few years ago. No one, I mean no one in Clintonville wants to preserve the current state of affairs at this intersection. It would be an idiotic stance to take.

Leaving side for the moment the hyperbole in jbcmh81’s statement, what that statement refers to is the dubious argument that Clintonvillers reject out of hand any proposed change in their community under the clouded belief that only in so doing can they preserve their precious way of life (or words to that effect).

Well, we’re all welcomed to our own opinions, I guess. But there’s simply been an undeniable amount of positive change and development in Clintonville in recent years. Is the community unified in its thinking about each and every project? Hell no. And while sometimes the level of debate makes us look ridiculous (the left turn land on EN Broadway being a prime example), in general, open debate over proposed projects is just a reflection of people in the community caring about the community. The Olympic project is moving ahead; Crawford Hoying has two mixed development projects in north Clintonville that are happening. Hell, the left turn lane is even a reality.

Not to mention, we now have a damned good brewery, the best liquor store in town and several of the best beer bars in Columbus. Which, admittedly, means more to me than some other residents, but is about as far removed from Clintonville’s dated reputation as you can get.

But by all means, if clinging to the belief that Clintonville is a boring time capsule, unwilling and unable to change helps you sleep at night, go for it. Developers, presumably, see in Clintonville as one of the most educated, affluent, progressive and desirable communities in Columbus. In other words, an obvious place to start a business or build a mixed use development.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

In other words, an obvious place to start a business or build a mixed use development.*

*once its gone through the ringer of proposal meetings and design redrafts that all cost everyone time and money

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

.. No one, I. mean no one in Clintonville wants to preserve the current state of affairs at this intersection. It would be an idiotic stance to take.

The catch is that if no one wants to build what you want on a piece of land, then at some point you either have to buy the land and build what you want on it or compromise a little and let someone else build what they want to build on it. Otherwise you’ll have to be satisfied with an empty parking lot. Everyone wants more parking, right?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

In other words, an obvious place to start a business or build a mixed use development.*

*once its gone through the ringer of proposal meetings and design redrafts that all cost everyone time and money

After it goes through the ringer, you end up with a strip mall, like this:

New Strip Mall in Clintonville

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Not in MY back.. oh wait.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Ah, this…

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    Again, I question why developers continue to try to build anything beyond fast food outlets in Clintonville. Biggest NIMBYers outside of Powell. Too many residents believe the entire area should be treated like a precious time capsule, perfectly preserved in its present state for all eternity.<br>

Which says nothing at all about “preservation” being any sort of an issue whatsoever re: this project. There were some residents who wanted to look into ways to preserve the old Clinton Theater, but the building was too far gone, and it was torn down a few years ago. No one, I mean no one in Clintonville wants to preserve the current state of affairs at this intersection. It would be an idiotic stance to take.

Leaving side for the moment the hyperbole in jbcmh81′s statement, what that statement refers to is the dubious argument that Clintonvillers reject out of hand any proposed change in their community under the clouded belief that only in so doing can they preserve their precious way of life (or words to that effect).

Well, we’re all welcomed to our own opinions, I guess. But there’s simply been an undeniable amount of positive change and development in Clintonville in recent years. Is the community unified in its thinking about each and every project? Hell no. And while sometimes the level of debate makes us look ridiculous (the left turn land on EN Broadway being a prime example), in general, open debate over proposed projects is just a reflection of people in the community caring about the community. The Olympic project is moving ahead; Crawford Hoying has two mixed development projects in north Clintonville that are happening. Hell, the left turn lane is even a reality.

Not to mention, we now have a damned good brewery, the best liquor store in town and several of the best beer bars in Columbus. Which, admittedly, means more to me than some other residents, but is about as far removed from Clintonville’s dated reputation as you can get.

But by all means, if clinging to the belief that Clintonville is a boring time capsule, unwilling and unable to change helps you sleep at night, go for it. Developers, presumably, see in Clintonville as one of the most educated, affluent, progressive and desirable communities in Columbus. In other words, an obvious place to start a business or build a mixed use development.

You seem to suggest that the reputation is wholly without merit and simply made up to soil the good name of Clintonville and its fine, upstanding residents. That’s nonsense. I didn’t make up the reputation out of thin air, and I doubt anyone else here did, either. Sure, it can be overblown sometimes, as now that the reputation exists, every project with a little bit of NIMBYism is going to be seen under the framework of that reputation. I recognize that there are varying opinions on development in Clintonville, and no doubt there are plenty of people fully supportive of larger, mixed-use projects. The issue is not that they don’t exist, but that they’re being drowned out by the constant stream of naysayers.

The Olympic barely made it. The naysayers wanted the pool to stay and continue to be subsidized by the owners while they continued to not patronize it. And then the first proposal had to be significantly watered down because, gosh, too many people might live there and enjoy Clintonville. And don’t forget to reduce the level of retail, because the last thing that area of Indianola needs is vibrant businesses. There is not one single other larger mixed-use project going on in Clintonville, or even planned, at least if the EN Broadway project really is dead. How is this possible in the current urban boom in one of Columbus’ most stable and attractive urban neighborhoods if NIMBYism is not a factor whatsoever? Are you really saying that developers have little interest there? Or that the handful of projects indicates that Clintonville is truly open to the type of changes occurring elsewhere around the city? Come on. If there are lots of people who want these types of projects, they need to start showing up at the meetings. Otherwise, the reputation, fair or not, will stay put.

bob.os
    Participant

Clintonville will approve smaller scale development like the one below. However, there is currently too much money to be made on larger projects right now so most developers aren’t going to waste limited resources on small stuff. Maybe after the the initial surge dies down they will start looking at smaller projects.

Different neighborhood. Different neighbors. While this part of Beechwold has higher-end housing stock, most of the neighborhood has more entry-level homes and apartment buildings than NB/High area of Clintonville. Most of the folks up there seem to welcome the development.

The NB/High area is home to a long (like original Kroger alcohol fight long) entrenched, well-organized, battle-ready group of neighbors who are resistant to just about anything. That said, they could probably be appeased if a developer was willing to spend the time. Here’s hoping the developers put in the time as the corner and neighborhood really would benefit.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The proposal at N Broadway/High and The Olympic required variances, that’s why they went to CAC. The smaller projects mentioned above entirely conform to existing zoning. No community meetings were required, and none were had. Not entirely a bad strategy in Clintonville if it can be managed, IMHO.

Pablo
    Participant

The proposal at N Broadway/High and The Olympic required variances, that’s why they went to CAC. The smaller projects mentioned above entirely conform to existing zoning. No community meetings were required, and none were had. Not entirely a bad strategy in Clintonville if it can be managed, IMHO.

True. The developer could build an Applebees with a nice parking lot at Broadway and High with no public meetings.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I have a solution that the residents can agree on. Do you think this would require any variances?

Food Truck Court! :)

Food Truck Court

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 239 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: