Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 239 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

Yes, as far as I know, the project is dead. A select few Clintonville resident’s put up enough stink that there was little chance of getting through CAC.

And another eyesore on the main corridor of our city remains…

jbcmh81
    Participant

Again, I question why developers continue to try to build anything beyond fast food outlets in Clintonville. Biggest NIMBYers outside of Powell. Too many residents believe the entire area should be treated like a precious time capsule, perfectly preserved in its present state for all eternity.

Hey developers, here is a list of areas that would love some attention:
    -Frankinton
    -King-Lincoln
    -Olde Towne East
    -The entire Near South Side outside of German Village
    -Linden
    -Milo-Grogan
    -Hilltop

mckee.485
    Participant

The corner of north broadway and high is so descriptive of clintonville. Old, worn out, somewhat strange, and occasionally useful.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Ah, yes, the same old ignorant Clintonville abhors change argument. How refreshing.

Re: this project, I’d like something a bit more substantive than ‘as far as I know’ statements. As far as I know, it’s not dead, because there’s not been one report from a local news outlet saying so. I do agree that lack of new ownership as shown on the Franklin County Auditor is interesting. But no news is just that. I’d assume that, fairly soon, we’ll hear something from Columbus Business First or the Dispatch on this. Of course, in a Columbus Business First story about this project from last summer, at which it was announced that North Star was under contract to acquire the old Clintonville Electric parcel, the author stated that the Olympic/Deco project had been shelved indefinitely. Hmmmm, not so much.

A few local residents didn’t raise a stink over this. Quite a few showed up and asked some pretty obvious questions of the developer, who didn’t have very convincing responses ready. The project was never put up for a vote, the CAC didn’t shoot it down. There was a meeting, the developer got some push-back, and that’s where we stand. There are also quite a few local residents on record as supporting this kind of development.

The Olympic/Deco developer received a lot more push-back than has North Star, and that project is moving ahead. As that Dispatch article points it, there’s lot of other mixed development going on in Clintonville. But, by all means, don’t let that get in the way of your story that Clintonville residents prefer vacant lots and strip malls.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d assume that, fairly soon, we’ll hear something from Columbus Business First or the Dispatch on this.

Why them? I didn’t see anyone from either publication (unless I missed them in the dark crowded room) at the really important University Area Review Board last night. With Brian Ball no longer at Business First, their development coverage seems to have slowed down. Dispatch rarely breaks development news anymore, as their staff continues to downscale post-buyout.

Similarly, the first big neighborhood presentation of this North Broadway project was posted first on CU the night of the event, while the Dispatch deferred to The Clintonville Booster for coverage the next day, and in a rare move at Biz First, they told readers to come find details here with CU’s coverage two days after the fact.

Not that CU is *always* first, but more often than not, we are. Generally only by a day or two, as the traditional media will jump on a story as soon as we publish it to create their own version. It seems like there’s a lot of stuff slipping through the cracks more recently though. To my knowledge, neither The Dispatch or Business First reported on the new Short North grocery store that we broke the news on 11 days ago… And neither BizFirst or Big D has written about the Downtown-Airport bus route launch that we broke 7 days ago

Anyway… not that I’m saying all this to brag. I’m half doing it to point out the overall trend, and half sharing it as a concerned community member who sees the scaleback and consolidation of important community-centric media coverage with other publications as concerning.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d like something a bit more substantive than ‘as far as I know’ statements.

One of our contacts on the Clintonville Area Commission responded this morning saying that last they heard from the developer (in December), they ran into an inability to do underground parking with the site (I’m not sure why) and were looking into other options.

Without direct confirmation from the developer, this project doesn’t sound dead to me… more likely delayed as a part of the process.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

half sharing it as a concerned community member who sees the scaleback and consolidation of important community-centric media coverage with other publications as concerning.

It’s extremely concerning, and bad for our community, and important to point it out. Meanwhile, CUnderground can keep scooping the traditional powers.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Ah, yes, the same old ignorant Clintonville abhors change argument. How refreshing.

Re: this project, I’d like something a bit more substantive than ‘as far as I know’ statements. As far as I know, it’s not dead, because there’s not been one report from a local news outlet saying so. I do agree that lack of new ownership as shown on the Franklin County Auditor is interesting. But no news is just that. I’d assume that, fairly soon, we’ll hear something from Columbus Business First or the Dispatch on this. Of course, in a Columbus Business First story about this project from last summer, at which it was announced that North Star was under contract to acquire the old Clintonville Electric parcel, the author stated that the Olympic/Deco project had been shelved indefinitely. Hmmmm, not so much.

A few local residents didn’t raise a stink over this. Quite a few showed up and asked some pretty obvious questions of the developer, who didn’t have very convincing responses ready. The project was never put up for a vote, the CAC didn’t shoot it down. There was a meeting, the developer got some push-back, and that’s where we stand. There are also quite a few local residents on record as supporting this kind of development.

The Olympic/Deco developer received a lot more push-back than has North Star, and that project is moving ahead. As that Dispatch article points it, there’s lot of other mixed development going on in Clintonville. But, by all means, don’t let that get in the way of your story that Clintonville residents prefer vacant lots and strip malls.

If the project is still active, it likely won’t be brought back at anywhere near the same scale as it was. And I will continue to push for developers to actually go to neighborhoods that want them. Any of those I mentioned would be absolutely thrilled to have something like this. Clintonville, sorry, has a reputation, and one that is well deserved, like it or not. If projects manage to get built, they are significantly watered down from their original scale, and for every Olympic (or whatever the name is now), there are many more 1-story strip centers and fast food outlets, none of which face near the level of outrage from locals. Basically, N. High through Clintonville, with the exception of its older downtown, looks exactly like people there want it to.

ohbr
    Participant

In regards to the Dispatch article, it seems poorly based. 1 large-ish mixed use development, one small, one proposed and another maybe proposed on the site of an old home does not make the changing tide of the neighborhood. Particularly one the size of Clintonville and especially when they cite the Rusty Bucket which was scaled down from mixed use to a suburban style restaurant, and the fact that a long time retailer is moving to a suburban style location to accommodate more space and parking. A new mixed use building with retail and integrated parking may have accommodated that move up the street rather than to 71.

And yes, Clintonville has a reputation. It may not be representative of the neighborhood’s feelings as a whole, but those that support these projects need to be more vocal than those who don’t. Until that dynamic shifts, Clintonville’s reputation will likely remain one of a neighborhood that does not like change because of the very vocal few.

wygand
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>

If the project is still active, it likely won’t be brought back at anywhere near the same scale as it was. And I will continue to push for developers to actually go to neighborhoods that want them. Any of those I mentioned would be absolutely thrilled to have something like this. Clintonville, sorry, has a reputation, and one that is well deserved, like it or not. If projects manage to get built, they are significantly watered down from their original scale, and for every Olympic (or whatever the name is now), there are many more 1-story strip centers and fast food outlets, none of which face near the level of outrage from locals. Basically, N. High through Clintonville, with the exception of its older downtown, looks exactly like people there want it to.

I totally understand frustration with some of the local push back, but there is money to be made in Clintonville. These projects aren’t being proposed randomly, they are being proposed to make money. As long as 2BR rent is going for nearly $1900(above the new bareburger) a month and housing stock and prices are rising, developers are going to be interested. I doubt that can be said for all of these other neighborhoods.

As far as the pushback, is it any surprise? The other areas of town you mentioned have been in serious blight for the last several decades, while many are coming back, Clintonville never experienced that decay to the same level, so its no surprise some of the residents aren’t chomping at the bit for new neighbors and development.

On a side note, not all people in Clintonville are into the fast food shops that pop up, however most of the time, these never even see any publicity because the Zoning doesn’t require CAC approval.

columbusmike
    Participant

Zoning doesn’t require CAC approval.

There lies the problem….Projects along the stretch of high street needs to ALWAYS go through the public process OR the zoning needs to be addressed to eliminate the suburban style developments in these older neighborhoods.

WJT
    Participant

Clintonvillains are just not wanting apartments in that area…afraid they might eventually attract ‘the wrong element’ smh.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

One of our contacts on the Clintonville Area Commission responded this morning saying that last they heard from the developer (in December), they ran into an inability to do underground parking with the site (I’m not sure why) and were looking into other options.

ground water most probably, there used to be a big ravine there, was filled in for progress

Eugene_C
    Participant

I can’t understand why anyone would argue for “preservation” in that part of Clintonville when half of the buildings are already torn down and there’s just a gravel lot with plastic orange fencing there, at the moment.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I can’t understand why anyone would argue for “preservation” in that part of Clintonville when half of the buildings are already torn down and there’s just a gravel lot with plastic orange fencing there, at the moment.

Who is arguing for preservation? I’ve never heard it brought up as an issue for this project.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 239 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER