Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 239 total)
  • Author
    whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

That’s great they were finally able to acquire the Clintonville Electric parcel. Otherwise I felt like the development was going to be a little awkward. New rendering looks better but I bet they will eventually have to cut a floor off to reduce height.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I like the new proposal. It looks like several buildings instead of one giant mass.

WJT
    Participant

This new rendering looks great. They should just approve it already. This is what I was talking about in my last post. It can’t get much better than this Clintonville- with good materials this will be a great addition to the neighborhood. It is not much(if any?) higher than what is right across the street, and what is across the street is setback, so there will not be a ‘big city canyon’ effect either.

It will help that stretch kind of look like a ‘Main street small town USA’ – isn’t that kind of what they want there?

derm
    derm
    Participant

It looks like the building that went in on Grandview Ave after the fire gutted everything from Z to Matt the Miller and that 4 story building is going great.

columbusmike
    Participant

Yikes, that cornice (where the signs are located) is WAY out of scale. I’m nervous this is going to be crappy materials and design. I hope it’s conditionally approved with some architectural tweaks.

This reminds me of the poor mans version of the mixed use building in Bexley on Main Street.

ohbr
    Participant

While I like the upper floors, the 1st floor just looks like a continuous strip mall blob or something. Maybe it’s that cornice that is throwing me off. I think if they make the 1st floor look a little more varied like the top I’ll be sold.

WJT
    Participant

Meh, Yeah I guess they are a bit large. Maybe if they varied them a bit or had taller slightly larger awnings it might help. Also if they stair-stepped the upper two floors of the new south section it would not have such an abrupt transition to the two story buildings to the south. Also if they did that, those top end units could have actual terraces facing south, and I think that would be a big selling point. Might cut out a few units, but then again that would help the parking situation.

How many places are there in Cbus where you have actual south facing terraces, maybe ten or twelve feet wide, high enough where you have a nice view toward the south, down the spine of the city with the skyline in the far distance? I would pay extra for that(if I had the money, of course).

They should absolutely make sure the materials are of good quality. No plastic horror-show Highpoint-like crap.

columbusmike
    Participant

They should absolutely make sure the materials are of good quality. No plastic horror-show Highpoint-like crap.

Judging by their previous work on Grandview Ave, it will be a plastic and stucco horror show:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/8429281079_c713b5a35f_b_d.jpg</img&gt;

DouginCMH
    Participant

This would seem to be a clear step in the right direction, but I’d guess that there are a few more steps necessary if this is going to be built. First, if this means that C-ville Electric parcel has been acquired, that’s great news. It also appears as though the latest design iteration is more in keeping with the guidelines of the neighborhood plan, in that it presents the development as a series of discrete facades and not one massive structure; an illusion, perhaps, but the plan is clear in stating that it didn’t want development to combine parcels.

That said, the devil is, of course, in the details. How is the additional parcel being employed; to pack in more apartments and retail, or to address what is surely a major concern of the local community, parking? Then, as others have said, there’s the question of the quality of the materials, design details, and this developer not having the reputation of, say, Crawford and Hoying. That development on Indianola has to have knocked up the bar a tier or two in terms of what’ll need to happen on High and N Broadway.

My guess (just a hunch, obviously) is that this development will need to lose a story and close the gap (about 20% now) between available parking and what code calls for in order to be built.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

Yikes, that cornice (where the signs are located) is WAY out of scale. I’m nervous this is going to be crappy materials and design. I hope it’s conditionally approved with some architectural tweaks.

They are hiding a second floor of parking behind that cornice, so that’s why it’s tall. Maybe it could be disguised a little better. As it stands now, it’s ground floor retail with parking behind, second floor parking, three floors of apts.

heresthecasey
    Participant

They are hiding a second floor of parking behind that cornice, so that’s why it’s tall. Maybe it could be disguised a little better. As it stands now, it’s ground floor retail with parking behind, second floor parking, three floors of apts.

This is definitely why it looks so “off” in all the renderings, IMO. I think it would be better if they just cut openings in the facade at the parking level.

The awkwardness is probably a necessary evil though, because the project’s chances are likely hinging on tricking Clintonvillians into believing the building is only 4 stories, instead of 5.

WJT
    Participant

Looks like that with the addition of the last southern parcel the project will grow from 60 units to 66 units, and the parking will increase by 13 spaces from 161 to 174. This article also suggest there will be more retail square footage, and that the height of the proposal has gone down from 62 feet to 58.5 feet.

This is going before the variance and zoning committee tomorrow.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/06/01/proposed-5-story-clintonville-building-adds-space.html

DouginCMH
    Participant

Looks like the CAC kicked the can down the calendar a month:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2015/06/08/northstar-development-cac-defers-to-new-look-commission-on-variances.html

Why, I’m not sure. What the hell’s going to change about this project in 30 days?

DouginCMH
    Participant

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Lord knows they spent enough time kicking the can down the road on the North Broadway left turn lane. Oh well, hopefully it will still get developed in something better than a one story single use.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 239 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO