Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 239 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

I’m unsure why it’s even being discussed that parking needs to be met for 60 units and retail. That version of the project has no chance of happening, so let’s be realistic. How much parking will actually be needed for a project that will likely be scaled down in half, if not more? A 1-1 ratio should really be the absolute maximum unless the developer is willing to dig down and add more, but it shouldn’t be required to be higher than that on High Street ever.

wygand
    Participant

I have been wondering this ever since the Olympic development was torpedoed, what power does the community really have here? These meetings and public outcry on social media and with yard signs have been far from democratic. Opening up for this type of community involvement seems doomed to bring out the most passionate detractors of any project.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Looking at Google Maps I see plenty of garages in the alleys in the surrounding area. What is the basis for saying most of S Clintonville doesn’t have off street parking? It looks more like the norm, than the exception.

Well, because most of S Clintonville doesn’t have off street parking, that’s why. I used to live on Longview. Both sides of the street (east) are filled with resident cars. West Longview only has parking on one side of the street and is similarly packed. North of North Broadway, yeah, there’s a lot more off street parking, but not SoBo.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I have been wondering this ever since the Olympic development was torpedoed, what power does the community really have here? These meetings and public outcry on social media and with yard signs have been far from democratic. Opening up for this type of community involvement seems doomed to bring out the most passionate detractors of any project.

Recall that the Olympic proposal called for double counting parking that was used for the adjacent tennis court business and had a hoped for (but not guaranteed) arrangement to use parking at the Columbus utilities building next door as evening overflow parking.

The outcry about the Olympic had a lot to do with the loss of the pool. That’s obviously not an issue with this project. The existing area proposed for redevelopment is little more than a wasteland; no one really wants to keep it as-is. I’d not at all be surprised to see this project lose a story. It stinks that the Clintonville Electric owner has refused to sell. That property will remain an eyesore until and unless he does.

Note, too, that the the Olympic proposal was pulled by the developer. It was never voted down by anyone. The CAC zoning subcommittee approved the variances. Who knows what they have planned, but it seems bizarre that the owners just yanked it and are sitting on what is basically an empty lot.

futureman
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>futureman wrote:</div>
    Looking at Google Maps I see plenty of garages in the alleys in the surrounding area. What is the basis for saying most of S Clintonville doesn’t have off street parking? It looks more like the norm, than the exception.

Well, because most of S Clintonville doesn’t have off street parking, that’s why. I used to live on Longview. Both sides of the street (east) are filled with resident cars. West Longview only has parking on one side of the street and is similarly packed. North of North Broadway, yeah, there’s a lot more off street parking, but not SoBo.

Are the alley’s just not used then? Longview, both east and west, has alleys with garages.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Some have garages. Many do not. The alleys are also used for garbage and recycling trucks. Many garages are one-car. You’re probably also seeing a lot of sheds. East Longview, like most south of Broadway streets in Clintonville, is basically a single lane road in the evenings and on weekends because cars are parked on both sides of the street. I do think there are some open spaces on High Street that can and should be claimed by this development. But very, very few cars could end up going onto nearby side streets.

SusanB
    Participant

I don’t live in Cville but I do know one of the developers personally. He is a good guy and tends to do really high quality builds. I am sure that he will listen to the community and make adjustments to the design if at all possible. Those of you who know me or my posts certainly know that I don’t feel that way about most of the developers here in town.

futureman
    Participant

WJT
    Participant

What I don’t like about this is the monotony. They know people want to have that ‘small town’ feel, and yet you have basically one large long building, same color. Same window treatments.
    You can see on the rendering that there are five distinct ‘segments’ plus turret on the front. Why not make these look a little more different, so they resemble a line of five buildings instead of just one big one?

Also all juliet balconys, the monotony, and those smaller windows remind me too much of Highpoint(Ugh).

I really wonder given the monotony of the design if this would fly along high in the Short North? I think something along the lines of the Wood Co. project or the Fireproof project would look better and if they use good materials and good design they could quell at least some of the perennial opposition to such projects in Clintonville.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Additional rendering provided by the developer today:

columbusmike
    Participant

Wow, I didn’t realize they are planning on building around the dilapidated Clintonville electric building. I guess the owner of that building is refusing to sell his eyesore. Jokes going to be on him if this goes forward because no one will ever purchase his property at any significant value for such a small plot of land.

Mike88
    Participant

These new renderings look sharp. I like how they incorporated the garage and a shared outdoor space for the tennants. Plus private outdoor space in the form of balconies is a huge plus. I would happily take a development like that down along 4th here in IV.

RellekOTE
    Participant

DouginCMH
    Participant

When they say “tweak” they really mean it. It’s virtually unchanged.

I do get the feeling that this developer us going to need to up its game, design wise, and shave off a floor (to lessen the parking space gap and bring it at least marginally closer to existing code and the neighborhood plan as regards height) in order to get this project built.

I also feel that, if they do that, it’ll go through.

Pablo
    Participant

New renderings via Facebook. Looks like the remaining Clintonville Electric building will be demolished and the new building will expand south.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 239 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!