Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed at High & North Broadway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 239 total)
  • Author

TFugitive

This is a cool old building with a TON of space in an area with good disposable income. Why has nobody turned this into a restaurant/retail/office space? Does anyone have any information on plans for this space? Yeah, yeah, I know it’s a down economy but that’s when you get the good deals. Somebody’s missing a bet here.

Pablo
    Participant

In late 2003 or early 2004, Glimcher abandoned plans to redevelop this corner. My recollection is that a tenant deal fell through and residents were against some aspects of the project (parking issues and a desire to renovate the theater which the developer initially planned to demolish). I can’t remember if the developer worked the theater into a revised plan. Either way, it didn’t work out financially. Maybe some of the success of the block just south of Clintonville Electric would spill over Brighton Rd…

daniel

Almost anything would be better than the boarded up state that block is in now.

Another piece of the rumor i heard was: one of the 3 owners did not want to sell for sentimental reasons. It’s where their father/grandfather started their business.

It seems to me to be a pretty short sighted and selfish reason to keep a block from it’s potential. I mean, you can’t hold on to it forever.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I think once the results of the 2010 census are released, retailers are going to be like “holy crap we need to go there!” and you’ll see a lot of new stuff. Most retailers of late have been following the money to the suburbs/exurbs but if they’re smart they’ll realize that’s no guarantee of success anymore as it once was. You’d be amazed at how much a store relies on demographic information in making location decisions though.

Schoolboy
    Participant

i’ve wanted to start a live music venue there for quite some time now

Pablo
    Participant

^That would be cool. The theater was used by Clintonville Electric as a warehouse. I imagine there would be a lot of work to create a music venue.

futureman
    Participant

I’ve heard the roof started failing about a year ago from someone who toured the property. I can only imagine it’s gotten worse now, so you’d be looking at significant water damage.

On a different note, did anyone else notice that Clintonville Electrics location over on Bethel is now closed?

jennyw
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote >>
    i’ve wanted to start a live music venue there for quite some time now

My husband has said the same thing.

jennyw
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    I’ve heard the roof started failing about a year ago from someone who toured the property. I can only imagine it’s gotten worse now, so you’d be looking at significant water damage.
    On a different note, did anyone else notice that Clintonville Electrics location over on Bethel is now closed?

If memory serves, Clintonville Electric went out of business not that long after the move to Bethel and the shuttering of the High Street store. (Edited: the Bethel site closed in October of last year, four years after the move.)

I did find an article in SNP archives from a 2008 Clintonville Area Commission:

Clintonville-Beechwold Community Resource Center Executive Director Bill Owens recalled a proposal just a couple of years ago. He referred to when representatives from Glimcher Realty Trust proposed a renovation of the Clintonville Electric and theater site with restaurants and offices, and apartments, on the second story.

The challenge at the time was to provide adequate parking, he recalled. “That is an area that is still an eyesore,” he said.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    I think once the results of the 2010 census are released, retailers are going to be like “holy crap we need to go there!” and you’ll see a lot of new stuff. Most retailers of late have been following the money to the suburbs/exurbs but if they’re smart they’ll realize that’s no guarantee of success anymore as it once was. You’d be amazed at how much a store relies on demographic information in making location decisions though.

+1

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

This block is long due for an overhaul. Another delay to the site – talk of High and EN Broadway street widening at the intersection. I would be happy to see this as a small park with some parking and bike racks – that would look better and provide broad options for the future when the intersection issues are sorted out. Clintonville is hot but this intersection and a few other spots are keeping the simmer down.

adrock

what about the 2010 census results will be significantly different from the 2000 one? i haven’t noticed any big demographic changes, but i’m not around there much unless i’m going to pattycake between classes.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I’ve known many restaurateurs that would love to go in there. Clintonville is dry right there, no one is able to secure a liquor license without massive amounts of red tape and expense.

jennyw
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    I’ve known many restaurateurs that would love to go in there. Clintonville is dry right there, no one is able to secure a liquor license without massive amounts of red tape and expense.

Has that changed at all since Kroger got the beer/wine permit, or are such things only good for that location?

roy
    Participant

That was a vote specific to the grocer location. Most small businesses–especially restaurants–don’t have the time or the resources to introduce a ballot issue and organize the associated campaign that would allow alcohol sales.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 239 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: