Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville Apartment Projects

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Clintonville Apartment Projects

• This topic has 65 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Ned23Ned23.
Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2016/03/31/sewer-capacity-study-to-determine-fate-of-clintonville-apartment-projects-WB-KP.html

Okay, I said I wasn’t a conspiracy theorist, but after reading that, I kind of find the sewer thing suspicious too now. You can kind of read between the lines from the attitudes that Clintonville is going to use this issue, or even the threat of it, to basically block any project that even tries to go all urban on them. It now seems like an obvious push back against developers trying to go around their authority with the extended stay thing.

Just an Observer
    Participant

Sounds like some commission members are overstepping their boundries or are trying to bully some people. Pretty close to an outright lie from CAC members based on comments from the City in both the article above and the Business First article. No wonder developers try to avoid the CAC!

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

From the very same ThisWeek issue…

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2016/03/28/cac-misses-out-when-developers-meet-code.html

CAC Chairman Kristopher Keller said last week no applications had been received by Dana Bagwell, who heads up the zoning and variance committee.
    “It is odd,” Keller said. “Even with all the activity going on, the discussions of different developments, most of them are being built in a way that doesn’t require variances. We’re not getting to review those.”
    Keller was referring to three separate apartment projects announced in early March that would add more than 500 living units to the neighborhood.
    “I don’t know whether that’s coincidence or a reaction to developers having a difficult time getting things through,” Keller said. “The fact that they’re meeting all the codes is a good thing.”
    “Certainly, it’s not because there isn’t development going on,” District 3 representative Libby Wetherholt said of the likely absence of zoning and variance cases for a third straight month.
    “The developers are definitely finding ways of doing things without variances,” Wetherholt added. “That can be good or bad.
    “Sometimes I think variances are our friends because they give us a chance to have some input.”

Or in other words, completely dismantle the project. It almost seems that if the CAC can’t weigh-in because no variances are required, then they are trying to find other roadblocks to development, i.e., the sewer system is at capacity. And maybe it is at capacity, I don’t know, but the timing of all these variables is interesting…

jcook577
    Participant

The projects are not dead! Dispatch did the investigating.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/03/31/Clintonville-projects-not-dead.html

“Rumors started flying after Dana Bagwell, chairwoman of the zoning and variance committee for the Clintonville Area Commission, posted on the Clintonville Discussion Forum Facebook page: “The developments proposed on Indianola (Dixie and Cooke Road) are both dead. … I’m pretty sure Graceland will run into similar issues as well.”

Bagwell did not return calls seeking comment. But today, she posted this on the Facebook page: ‘It would appear I was misinformed.’ “

ohbr
    Participant

The projects are not dead! Dispatch did the investigating.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/03/31/Clintonville-projects-not-dead.html

Bagwell did not return calls seeking comment. But today, she posted this on the Facebook page: ‘It would appear I was misinformed.’ “

She was misinformed… or she was attempting to misinform… ?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The sewer approach could open a big can of worms. Every time a project of any size is proposed the local community could rush to stall it with a sewer study. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE