Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville Apartment Projects

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Clintonville Apartment Projects

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>
    Looks like the projects may be dead (or delayed) due to sanitary sewer capacity issues that need to be sorted out. From the Clintonville Discussion Forum on Facebook…

Who said that? Do you have a source besides Facebook? The city has been spending tons of money in Clintonville on the sewers since that article was printed 8 years ago. There have been contractors tracking down infiltration leaks and lining the sanitary sewers for the last couple of summers. The Marzetti incident in 2008 only impacted a few blocks and was caused by a blockage, IIRC.

That’s a quote from the person who heads up the Clintonville Area Commission’s zoning and variance committee.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

Is this for Indianola only, or does the moratorium include High Street as well?

bob.os
    Participant

Who said that? Do you have a source besides Facebook? The city has been spending tons of money in Clintonville on the sewers since that article was printed 8 years ago. There have been contractors tracking down infiltration leaks and lining the sanitary sewers for the last couple of summers. The Marzetti incident in 2008 only impacted a few blocks and was caused by a blockage, IIRC.

The Marzetti incident was more about the core issue with Columbus’ sewer system: there are many crossovers between the sanitary sewer system and the storm sewer system, and the city does not know where they are. The Marzetti plant uses the sanitary system, which would not be a problem if the storm sewers were backed up by a big rainstorm and caused everything to flow backwards.
    According to the Ohio EPA, Columbus is projected to have this remediated by 2025.

More info here (Ohio EPA) here (Columbus) and here (Columbus)

DouginCMH
    Participant

Is this for Indianola only, or does the moratorium include High Street as well?

What moratorium are you referring to?

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

From Clintonville Area Commission Zoning and Variance chairperson…”Sewers & Drains says the sewer system is at capacity and no further high density developments are allowed in Clintonville until they get it sorted out.”

Eugene_C
    Participant

The Marzetti incident was more about the core issue with Columbus’ sewer system: there are many crossovers between the sanitary sewer system and the storm sewer system, and the city does not know where they are. The Marzetti plant uses the sanitary system, which would not be a problem if the storm sewers were backed up by a big rainstorm and caused everything to flow backwards.
    According to the Ohio EPA, Columbus is projected to have this remediated by 2025.

Actually, that is not major the problem in northern Clintonville. North Clintonville has separate storm and sanitary sewers. The problem in Northern Clintonville was that cracks and leaks in the sanitary sewer system were allowing too much rain water to percolate in during heavy rains. That’s what they’ve spent the last 5 years working on.

What you’re describing (“combined sewers”) is a problem in older areas of the city, mostly built before 1950, which does include a few areas north of N. Broadway, mostly nearer to high street and to the south and west.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Ok, then, you guys sound like experts on the issue. Obviously, the CAC mafia concocted this “water/sewer” issue to kill off these projects. Conspiracy theories are so much fun.

To be fair, I did say I had no reason to doubt that it’s a real issue. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, I have honestly never heard of this problem before literally anywhere. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened of what have you, but I can’t imagine it is super common. And it’s in Clintonville, so of course theories are going to crop up about it.

jbcmh81
    Participant

From Clintonville Area Commission Zoning and Variance chairperson…”Sewers & Drains says the sewer system is at capacity and no further high density developments are allowed in Clintonville until they get it sorted out.”

I didn’t read that closely enough. That would imply the whole of Clintonville well beyond Indianola.

But of course it would.

Eugene_C
    Participant

The other thing is suspicious is that it says “High Density Projects”, specifically, rather than “Limited to X-amount of development.” Several low-density projects could generate as much sewage as 1 high density project. So, that doesn’t sound right, either. It also assumes that the sewers are at the same overcapacity everywhere. so the sewers at Morse and Indianola by the deaf school are as just as over-taxed as the sewers in Olentangy village? I’ll believe it when they define it better with some kind of hard numbers.

I don’t know about a “conspiracy” but it sounds like they got a sympathetic ear at the city to find a way to hit the brakes on development using a subjective criterion that can be selectively applied as desired.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

I don’t know about a “conspiracy” but it sounds like they got a sympathetic ear at the city to find a way to hit the brakes on development using a subjective criterion that can be selectively applied as desired.

Bingo. It does seem a little odd this comes to light immediately after three multi-family developments are proposed in Clintonville.

RBloodworth
    Participant

So, wait- the CAC also got the City to kill Borror’s Patrick J’s proposal and any development at Broadway and High as well as the proposed “extended-stay” developments on Indianola? Does this mean the Deco as well? If true, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

I would assume the Deco will move forward since construction has commenced, but as for the rest…who knows.

ohbr
    Participant

As far as I know, Patrick J’s was not affected by this either.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

Pablo
    Participant

^That’s good news – none of the projects are dead – just slightly delayed awaiting the results of the capacity study.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: