Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville Apartment Projects

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Clintonville Apartment Projects

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Ned23
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>
    Cooke and Indianola: 52 units in a three story building replacing the Gun Envy store and a used car lot. An extended stay hotel but same deal as the Dixie project.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Indianola%20and%20Cooke%20Apartments.pdf?token=AWxo7eYFlBLhoiGeVU1L1h7XYg5VgVP73pN-0pX4VhPfsCzgRIF26amukooIr2NsqOTlKOIoHpAEFTKbHFLZUM4p53x8ekqsH8N54PrB7JzOoQ

So I take issue with the project proposing to use the parking lot as a “detention basin”. Hard surface /= stormwater control. Not sure how that has even been proposed.

The main problem with this site is that it’s right at the Cooke Rd R/R crossing. High frequency trains will rumble by their windows dozens of times per day and they blow their horns loud and often. Who is going to want to live there with that noise?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

That’s pretty typical – it’s an underground chamber that stores water and releases it at a prescribed rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwater_detention_vault

Didn’t know that was a thing. Well OK then.

The main problem with this site is that it’s right at the Cooke Rd R/R crossing. High frequency trains will rumble by their windows dozens of times per day and they blow their horns loud and often. Who is going to want to live there with that noise?

I thought the same, but then I remembered Lennox Flats, so yeah.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Vision is looking for a gastropub or tavern for the main restaurant building, and a coffee shop and deli for the other building, Wrightsel said.

“This will be a true urban mixed-use project,” he said.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2016/03/09/1-extended-stay-hotels-planned-in-clintonville.html

TROLOLOL

Ned23
    Participant

^^ I suppose it technically has multiple uses in the same area but it’s not what most people think of as “mixed-use” ; they tend to think of different uses in the same building.

I thought the same (about the Railroad), but then I remembered Lennox Flats, so yeah.

I guess there is a grade crossing Kenny but that line is nowhere near as busy as the one between Indianola & 71. Is there a quiet zone or do they blow the whistle there?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

The Norfolk Southern line may be busier than the CSX line, but there’s still plenty of traffic going by Lennox. Regardless, its not a quiet zone and the buildings will be about as close to the tracks as the Cooke development. Hope for good soundproofing I guess, but there’s only so much you can do about low frequency noise.

Pablo
    Participant

ohbr
    Participant

Not a horrible exterior design. Industry standard. Just hope the site plan can be updated to be better for urban design.

Ned23
    Participant

Renderings for the Dixie project:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/03/09/first-look-renderings-released-for-dixie.html

They look like the apartments that went onto the old K-Mart on Bethel at Olentangy. Same company?

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

I think this one is Vision Development, whereas Taylor House on Olentangy was Preferred Living.

Maybe an architect can explain this, but why don’t they elevate the first floor a few feet just so your windows and patio aren’t directly at parking lot level? I personally would not want to live in a ground floor unit as shown. Probably has to due with building directly on the concrete slab??

Ned23
    Participant

I think this one is Vision Development, whereas Taylor House on Olentangy was Preferred Living.

Maybe an architect can explain this, but why don’t they elevate the first floor a few feet just so your windows and patio aren’t directly at parking lot level? I personally would not want to live in a ground floor unit as shown. Probably has to due with building directly on the concrete slab??

Some people don’t like stairs or elevators. Maybe they feel there are enough of those people who will take ground-level units? There are also ADA Requirements for ramps and so forth whenever you have to go up a rise.

Ned23
    Participant

It made The CV Booster:

Three sets of development plans stun neighborhood(click for story)

Clintonville was abuzz over the weekend with the revelation of not one, not two, but three major residential developments proposed for the neighborhood.

“Please remember, all of these things are in very early stages,” Clintonville Area Commission District 3 representative Libby Wetherholt wrote in an email to her constituents. “Stay tuned.”…

Eugene_C
    Participant

Most residents of northern CV seem to want their neighborhood to look suburban and have lots of parking. I think there’s a disconnect between their plan and what the residents actually want. I suspect that only people who are interested in good planning actually participated in writing the plan and didn’t do much research on what people actually wanted. They most likely relied on a few zoning nerds who showed up at the meetings for input instead of soliciting a representative sample. A pretty common error in these things.

PMurch
    Participant

I live very close to both Indianola developments. I’m excited for this, and wouldn’t object to more density.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I live very close to both Indianola developments. I’m excited for this, and wouldn’t object to more density.

And honestly isn’t it better than a 60 year old warehouse? Plus it’s not like you can complain about traffic on Indianola.

Posole
    Participant

Just an FYI, I looked up the traffic counts for OH-23 for Indianola between Hudson and Morse Rd. ODOT shows that in 24 hours, about 11,000 vehicles enter/exit Indianola from/at Hudson and about 18,000 enter/exit Morse from Indianola (23 follows Indianola, Hudson & Morse).

Worse case scenario, 800 apartments (300 Olypmic + 500 Dixie) should increase traffic maybe 8%, figuring 1.25 cars per apartment unit. It’s 4 lanes, and should easily be able to handle this. Will be most noticeable during rush hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: