Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clintonville Apartment Projects

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Clintonville Apartment Projects

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

Three projects have been recently proposed in Clintonville (links from the Clintonville Discussion Forum on Facebook):

Graceland: 200 units just west of the Kroger, south of LA Fitness. Looks like the project will relocate the park parking lot and access to the north behind LA Fitness.
    https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Graceland%20Apartments.pdf?token=AWxi3lTDoK_1x3cWD5-fa8acXdeeD_D_k3pCPxIkHXSrIM1qu4cN7bed2PRGyzngFBpPMrXIrvyMnY1O91irzG0KucJMWNxvNbETaKo8hRy2JA

Dixie International (north of Weinlands): 300 units with a parking garage. Retail, office and restaurant along Indianola. This 10 acre site does not need rezoning so the project can move forward without going in front of the area commission. It is classified as an extended stay hotel but my understanding is that they are apartments under another name.
    https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Dixie%20Apartments.pdf?token=AWxySmtfg_ise5DMODZgPSaX6pPrTrW3GCsJV1dmPAB2uvjbnLxFS68H0UlFQP69Mw7JWQmBEZDjyJAvIOoi7_58O3Nr1s0XeafuK6jmKOAk6g

Cooke and Indianola: 52 units in a three story building replacing the Gun Envy store and a used car lot. An extended stay hotel but same deal as the Dixie project.
    https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Indianola%20and%20Cooke%20Apartments.pdf?token=AWxo7eYFlBLhoiGeVU1L1h7XYg5VgVP73pN-0pX4VhPfsCzgRIF26amukooIr2NsqOTlKOIoHpAEFTKbHFLZUM4p53x8ekqsH8N54PrB7JzOoQ

None of these projects are required to go to the Clintonville Area Commission due to the zoning loophole of extended stay hotels.

ohbr
    Participant

Well, Clintonvillians will be busy. Hope the Beechwold Hardware has enough pitchforks in stock… The crime here won’t be in the actual number of units etc, but in the designs.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I think Clintonville is an attractive spot for renters and there are relatively few newer apts there. Don’t like the sound of “extended stay hotel”, however.

columbusmike
    Participant

It’s sad they feel they have to brand these as extended stay hotels in order to avoid going to the Clintonville Area Commission. Unfortunately, a select few in Clintonville force every decent development proposal out of Clintonville.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I blame the heavy-handed CAC. The developers now see the CAC as an obstacle instead of a partner. They adjust accordingly going around them in any way possible.

What is ironic is that my neighbors who were the most vocal opponents of the Olympic project and put out signs also tended to be conservative republicans who ostensibly espouse less govt “overreach” and regulation of industry.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

This is the plan for the project at the old Dixie site next to Weilands. Not very attractive, but at least they make some use of the frontage. The CAC should have let Olypmic set the precedent for this area with their original, zero-setback project. Now all of Indianola is going to look like Sancus Blvd.

bob.os
    Participant

Interesting. Maybe we can get a Big Boy back on Indianola.

Can they call it the “Sea Ray” without someone calling trademark owners?

RBloodworth
    Participant

Well, Clintonvillians will be busy. Hope the Beechwold Hardware has enough pitchforks in stock…

My parents live in between the two Indianola proposals, and their neighbors are already freaking out about this. “Don’t put your house on the market; you’ll never get a return on your investment! Renters will RUIN this neighborhood!” In other words, every hysterical stereotype that most people on this board have of Clintonville residents. Anyone who thinks that a reactionary, obstructionist mindset isn’t prevalent in Clintonville just isn’t paying attention. And, yes, the reason these developers are going the same route as the Taylor House over on Olentangy and Bethel is precisely because the CAC is too often a tool of the angry mob that always opposes developments that would be attractive to people looking to move here. Like others here, I am also concerned that what we’re going to get here is going to be way below the standard of the developments that were previously proposed by other developers and shot down by the CAC. Way to go, Clintonville.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Interesting. Maybe we can get a Big Boy back on Indianola.

Don’t forget Friendly’s, they haven’t had a Friendly’s there since the 1990s.

Rug stores also, Clintonville was always famous for it’s revolving Persian Rug stores and drumming restaurants out of business so that Rite Rug can jump in.

ohbr
    Participant

I think Clintonville is an attractive spot for renters and there are relatively few newer apts there.

Unfortunately, the community does not see it the same way and wants Clintonville to remain a pay to play (by means of a mortgage) community with as few rental properties as possible. Even when there were a handful of rentals proposed above where Wright Patt and Local Cantona are, the community freaked out over values because of new rental properties in the area. Clintonville will never accept the idea of having new large scale rentals, particularly in Central Clintonville.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div>
    I think Clintonville is an attractive spot for renters and there are relatively few newer apts there.

Unfortunately, the community does not see it the same way and wants Clintonville to remain a pay to play (by means of a mortgage) community with as few rental properties as possible. Even when there were a handful of rentals proposed above where Wright Patt and Local Cantona are, the community freaked out over values because of new rental properties in the area. Clintonville will never accept the idea of having new large scale rentals, particularly in Central Clintonville.

As we can see by these recent projects, that attitude worked out really well, didn’t it? Or not… They need to accept the fact that development is coming whether they like it or not and try to get the development to have a positive impact neighborhood instead of detrimental one.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div><br>

As we can see by these recent projects, that attitude worked out really well, didn’t it? Or not… They need to accept the fact that development is coming whether they like it or not and try to get the development to have a positive impact neighborhood instead of detrimental one.

I completely agree. The more they push back, the more developers will steamroll them and they’ll end up with poor designs, street interaction, etc. They’ll end up far worse.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Speaking of erstwhile fast food joints on Indianola, I noticed that some of the used car lots have closed up recently. Maybe we’ll get the tasty freeze back someday.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Cooke and Indianola: 52 units in a three story building replacing the Gun Envy store and a used car lot. An extended stay hotel but same deal as the Dixie project.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Indianola%20and%20Cooke%20Apartments.pdf?token=AWxo7eYFlBLhoiGeVU1L1h7XYg5VgVP73pN-0pX4VhPfsCzgRIF26amukooIr2NsqOTlKOIoHpAEFTKbHFLZUM4p53x8ekqsH8N54PrB7JzOoQ

So I take issue with the project proposing to use the parking lot as a “detention basin”. Hard surface /= stormwater control. Not sure how that has even been proposed.

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

So I take issue with the project proposing to use the parking lot as a “detention basin”. Hard surface /= stormwater control. Not sure how that has even been proposed.

That’s pretty typical – it’s an underground chamber that stores water and releases it at a prescribed rate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwater_detention_vault

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER