Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Clever Crow Pizza

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Clever Crow Pizza

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

A friend of mine and I went to Circus last night to finally sample Clever Crow Pizza, which is being served out of the kitchen there. I had heard from some friends that it was really good. The rave review that the Alive gave it a couple of weeks ago further cemented my desire to try it out.

I realize, there is another, recently reopened, pizza location that earns top billing in the hearts of many CU members. But, there is always room for more pizza. Especially pizza this good.

There are a handful of pizzas on the menu (including one vegan option), along with a couple of daily special options. I can’t quite recall how many different styles there were (slightly less than 10 maybe?), and there’s no menu online at the moment.

You have the option of ordering a whole or half pie, as well as just getting it by the slice. A whole pie has six slices, which works out just about right for two people. Indeed, I was a bit full after eating my compliment of 3 slices.

We opted to get half a pizza “Crow style” with sausage. It had provolone, mozzarella, caramelized onions, thyme and a FANTASTIC crumbled sausage. The sausage is homemade. We talked to Gary the man behind the pizza, and he said he did everything but grind the pork himself.

The other half of the pizza was one of the night’s specials and it had Canadian bacon, with cooked fuji apples and cracked black pepper. It was also fantastic. The bacon was delicious and the apples complimented it a bit well. There was a lot of black pepper on it, so if you don’t like pepper, ask them to go light on it should this special appear again and strike your fancy.

The sign of any good eatery is that it brings you back time and again. I can definitely say I’ll be going back for more of the awesome pizza. Before we left, I was looking over the menu for a second time. My friend asked me if I was “trying to decide what to get next time?” That’s exactly what I was doing. I can’t wait to go back and try the other offerings.

Like I said, Gary the guy who runs the pizza operation came out of the kitchen for a while and we had the chance to talk to him. He was really cool, and you could tell had a lot of passion for what he is doing. It shows in the food and in talking to him.

I’m certainly not the only one with the opinion that the pizza is awesome. The Alive review is here:

Alive Clever Crow Pizza review

And a mention on the Jeni’s Ice Cream blog

Jeni’s on Clever Crow pizza

The Alive review hints that Anthony Bourdain might tell the world about the awesome pizzas. And, when we were in there last night, there were definitely some out of town folks with camera equipment hanging out and savoring some pies. So the Alive might be right about something for once, it’d probably be a good idea to try it while you can still waltz in and grab a seat with no waiting.

patient_zero
    Participant

I love pizza! One of my music loving colleagues gave Cleaver Crow Pizza two opposable thumbs up, and it’s been in the back of my brain ever since. I’m going to visit Circus soon to try some of this delicious pie.

A pregame pizza would be great right now!

WildmanDan

Yeah, when I was there for Carrie Rodriguez show, saw Melissa Starker come in to get a pizza to go, asking if I had tried it yet and how much she liked it.

thorne

Bourdain’s show is indeed filming there this weekend. Haven’t been there, yet. What are the prices like, out of curiosity?

Filming at somewhere that just opened? I’m looking forward to eating here, but what about Adriatico’s, Hound Dog’s, etc? Walker should hold an impromptu Pizza Grand Prix. ;)

patient_zero
    Participant

thorne wrote >>
    Bourdain’s show is indeed filming there this weekend. Haven’t been there, yet. What are the prices like, out of curiosity?

Clever Crow pizzas are listed for $19 in the Columbus Alive review, said to “feed three”.

Roland
    Participant

The place sounds interesting and I can’t wait to give it a try. I’m all for good pizza!

I’m stunned that Bourdain would choose this new place over the established names in local pizza. Who is his tour guide? lol

thorne

My guess is that he is looking for a little more culinary cleverness than most established pizza places offer. Not to say their pizza isn’t good, just pretty ordinary in the grand scheme of pizza. That’s just a guess, though.

Charlie

Oh my God… this place is the real deal… Went there tonight after dying from curiosity. Got a half Crow Style / half Canadian Bacon & Fuji apples…. This pizza was in a league of its own… It was really unlike any pizza I had ever had.. It was so good though. The Sausage on the Crow pizza was the best sausage I’d ever had on a pizza. Tasted like it had been just made. The cornbread crust makes this pizza so different than ordinary pizzas. It really is tough to compare it. Hats off to this place… It lived up to the hype…

Bear
    Participant

Roland wrote >>
    The place sounds interesting and I can’t wait to give it a try. I’m all for good pizza!
    I’m stunned that Bourdain would choose this new place over the established names in local pizza. Who is his tour guide? lol

+1

adrock

how big is this $19 pizza? $19 worth of pizza from adriatico’s will feed way more than 3 people and it won’t have apples on it.

Schoolboy
    Participant

skully explained how all of this came about, but i wasn’t paying that close attention
    those behind clever crow are also connected to several other establishments including jeni’s
    some of which are in other cities

basically in a nutshell bourdain was in town anyways
    he knew of the place from either knowing the owners from other experiences, or friends of friends

either way, from what i’ve heard
    it sounds like it was warranted
    going to try this place asap

lisathewaitress
    Participant

adrock wrote >>
    how big is this $19 pizza? $19 worth of pizza from adriatico’s will feed way more than 3 people and it won’t have apples on it.

the pizzas aren’t super big, but I could only eat 2 pieces. I was skeptical when I heard that, too. But they are totally worth it. I like traditional pizzas and wasn’t sure about the toppings, but it was really good. They are nothing like “traditional” pizzas.

One of the pizzas we tasted was tomato, cheese, and mushroom with no sauce and it was out of this world. Good stuff.

deraj1013
    Participant

Hmm, I wonder if there are any food bloggers in Columbus that took pictures of this place and the pizza so I could live vicariously through them.

Cough…lisathewaitress…cough, cough. ;-)

Oh well. I’m stuck with only the Columbus Alive pics.

rus
    rus
    Participant

deraj1013 wrote >>
    Hmm, I wonder if there are any food bloggers in Columbus that took pictures of this place and the pizza so I could live vicariously through them.
    Cough…lisathewaitress…cough, cough. ;-)
    Oh well. I’m stuck with only the Columbus Alive pics.

Perhaps if there were people dedicated to tweeting about the experience. Why they could even arrive en-mass wearing the same t-shirts or something…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.