Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Cleveland Plain Dealer

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Cleveland Plain Dealer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Plain Dealer Cuts Home Delivery To Three Days A Week

April 4, 2013

by Debbie Holmes

89.7 NPR News Morning Host

The Cleveland Plain Dealer announces it will reduce its daily newspaper home delivery to three days a week, instead of seven.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/04/04/the-cleveland-plain-dealer-reduces-7-day-a-week-home-delivery/

osubilly

As an Indian’s follower, I am not a fan of the two articles they show in the picture haha. Very painful memories of the Indians giving up a 3-1 Series lead to the Red Sox in the 2007 ALCS.

News
    Participant

Akron Beacon Journal expanding to fill Plain Dealer void
    Doug Buchanan
    Managing editor-digital-Business First
    Jul 10, 2013, 6:33am EDT

The Akron Beacon Journal is expanding its service territory in a bid to take advantage of the Cleveland Plain Dealer’s decision to cut home delivery to three days a week. The Beacon Journal said it would begin offering seven-day home delivery in the Cleveland-area communities of Strongsville, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, Hinckley, North Royalton and Brunswick.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/morning_call/2013/07/akron-beacon-journal-expanding-to-fill.html

RBloodworth
    Participant

This may be jarring to some, but you might as well get used to it. In twenty years, I doubt that there will be many- if any- print newspapers left in existence. With tablets and smartphones allowing easy mobile access to the Web, there is simply no need anymore for non-digital media, other than to placate a generation of people that is getting smaller and smaller with each passing year.

News
    Participant

Cleveland Plain Dealer Cuts Third Of Its Staff, Laying Off 50
    07/31/13 04:11 PM ET EDT

CLEVELAND — The Plain Dealer in Cleveland cut about a third of its newsroom staff Wednesday, months after announcing it was reducing home delivery of the newspaper. About 50 reporters, photographers, page designers and other Newspaper Guild-covered employees received layoff notices, according to the guild.

READ MORE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/plain-dealer-cuts-layoffs_n_3684564.html

Bear
    Participant

RBloodworth said:
    This may be jarring to some, but you might as well get used to it. In twenty years, I doubt that there will be many- if any- print newspapers left in existence. With tablets and smartphones allowing easy mobile access to the Web, there is simply no need anymore for non-digital media, other than to placate a generation of people that is getting smaller and smaller with each passing year.

Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon (Washington Post)

News
    Participant

Media outlets wage war vs. vulnerable Plain Dealer
    By JAY MILLER
    4:30 am, August 18, 2013

They may only be small, early skirmishes, but Northeast Ohio media are attacking the region’s dominant but evolving daily newspaper on land, over the air and online. The shifting emphasis of Advance Publications Inc.’s Cleveland operations — from the printed and home-delivered Plain Dealer to electronic delivery via cleveland.com — and the rocky start of its new e-edition have given other media organizations a chance to compete in new ways as they cross over into each other’s traditional turf.

READ MORE: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20130818/SUB1/308189987/1022/breaking

fensterbme
    Participant

What’s Next?!?! Will companies that make horse drawn carriages be closing or reducing service?

The reality is that there will be some papers that survive by going online and evolving into a much smaller entity, but most of them are just going away all together.

NDaEast
    Participant

osubilly said:
    As an Indian’s follower, I am not a fan of the two articles they show in the picture haha. Very painful memories of the Indians giving up a 3-1 Series lead to the Red Sox in the 2007 ALCS.

Then maybe you should see my Lennie Barker perfect game front page … a childhood memory I have saved (somewhere) … Go Tribe!

NDaEast
    Participant

As a former paperboy who started at age 9 with The Cleveland Press (Home Edition — there is at least one whole generation of people who probably don’t know there used to be 3 different print runs/editions of the afternoon Press — early, home, and late), who got older and moved to a Plain Dealer (morning) paper route, it gives a twinge of sadness every time I hear of another paper shrinking, closing, or being sold.

There will never be another time like that — where a neighborhood newspaper route was cherished and passed down from deserving kid to deserving kid. I remember the great care I took in selecting who would follow in my footsteps. And when a paper cost $0.15 and I got to keep $0.03 but knew every Monday the District
    Route Manager would be knocking on my door looking for the other $0.12, I learned as a young boy about accountability, budgeting, and business. Going door-to-door collecting $0.75 from each subscriber for their week’s delivery … certainly not the way you want to do business today, but what an experience for a kid.

Making sacrifices — hustling home after school to get the papers to the doorsteps by 4:30. Some folded and thrown, some slipped inside a screen door, some placed in a mailbox … what the customer wanted, the customer got. The newsink stained “white” bag, with the bright orange strap that was way too long for this little boy and needed to be sewn shorter. The rhythm created by the slap of the bag on my knee with each step on my route … those are memories I wish every kid could have.

I remember the Great Blizzard of 78 … there I was, a little boy with a heavy bag struggling through waist-deep snow, but feeling how important it was to get the papers to the doors. And what normally took 20 minutes took 2 hours, but I did it. I was cold and tired, but I persevered. And I was safe in my own neighborhood.

Kids today have a whole new set of adventures and opportunities … and I am sure they are good. But there is something about being a paperboy that made me community-minded, that made me who I am today. And I think it was good. And every time I see adults driving cars and delivering newspapers, it makes me a little bit sad. I toyed around with delivering the New York Times Sunday edition — the pay was better — but the routes were longer, the papers bigger, and you needed an adult with a car. I liked being out by myself, so I kept my Plain Dealer routes through 9th grade.

Life was more simple then, and kids could do things that were important. We could be part of commerce. We could be a part of community. And it is sad to see newspapers shrinking … time moves on and I would never give up my Internet … but there is still something about sitting on the porch swing, reading the Sunday newspaper, and drinking a cup of coffee that will always seem better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE