Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cleveland Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Cleveland Development – News & Updates

Viewing 9 posts - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)
  • Author

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

Its astonishing how much public money is going into the project and how many ‘strings’ are being pulled to make it happen. Connected to the Two25 thread, is it really worth it to build projects like that if they need propped up with tax dollars?

Depends on how much they think it will contribute to the tax base down the road. Sometimes you need to invest a little public money to get the ball rolling, just take a look at Columbus Commons.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Lapp wrote:</div>
    Its astonishing how much public money is going into the project and how many ‘strings’ are being pulled to make it happen. Connected to the Two25 thread, is it really worth it to build projects like that if they need propped up with tax dollars?

Depends on how much they think it will contribute to the tax base down the road. Sometimes you need to invest a little public money to get the ball rolling, just take a look at Columbus Commons.

Dispatch published on Sunday that the Tax Abatements are helping bring development but haven’t done much to broaden the tax base. In fact, Columbus is giving so much away in TIFs and Tax Abatements, property tax revenue is now down. Part of that is property values in general are down but that’s where new development is supposed to help fill that gap, but if none of the new development is taxed and we’re handing out tax incentives left and right, we’re putting our tax revenue in the hands of mediocre, aging, properties. At some point, Columbus needs to ween the developers off these abatements. The problem we’ll start seeing is all these new residents but no income to pay for the services and infrastructure needed to service the new residents. While it’s undoubtably a long game, it’s still a gamble and can have other consequences in the shorter term. This year’s budget is tighter than expected and could, if the property tax income continues downward, start to affect public works projects that help attract developers and residents.

In terms of this project in Cleveland, the Location is not an area that needs any spurring. It already has just about everything a highly sought out area would want. It’s still a mind blowing amount of public money to subsidize housing for the wealthy, meanwhile, how about a new East Side shelter or public housing? Nah.

drew
    Participant

Related to the question of how much of a burden Cleveland’s new developments may be on the populace, I thought it’d be interesting to consider it with this added to the mix.

The link’s worth a look for the read and the graphs, but the upshot is this: the referenced study found Cleveland to be the most economically distressed city in the nation.

ohbr
    Participant

A nice plan for Main Ave in Downtown. I particularly like to continuity of the lighting design throughout. Having been there and seeing the wasteland it had become, this is impressive and awesome for the future development of the East Flats and Flats in general.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2016/02/first_look_downtown_cleveland.html#incart_river_home

ohbr
    Participant

Looks like Cleveland is going to reduce or potentially stop service on the troubled Waterfront Line again. Maybe they’ll try to expand service again in the future again.

I particularly like slide nine… well, dislike slide 9. In 2000 and 2001 we spent $41 million on public transit. Today the state only pays about $7 Mill. I had not realized how drastic those cuts were, but I was more worried about other things in those days to pay that much attention to state budgets.

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2016/03/rtas_waterfront_line_aka_ghost.html#0

jbcmh81
    Participant

Looks like Cleveland is going to reduce or potentially stop service on the troubled Waterfront Line again. Maybe they’ll try to expand service again in the future again.

I particularly like slide nine… well, dislike slide 9. In 2000 and 2001 we spent $41 million on public transit. Today the state only pays about $7 Mill. I had not realized how drastic those cuts were, but I was more worried about other things in those days to pay that much attention to state budgets.

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2016/03/rtas_waterfront_line_aka_ghost.html#0

Republicans hate public transit, so no surprise funding has gone down to basically nothing. As for the Waterfront, it sounds like maybe it wasn’t the greatest route to begin with.

wpcc88
    Participant

Republicans hate public transit, so no surprise funding has gone down to basically nothing. As for the Waterfront, it sounds like maybe it wasn’t the greatest route to begin with.

Yea because there is a Republican stronghold in Cleveland.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

We were talking on a state level based on page nine of the article.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

I was referring to the state transit budget.

Viewing 9 posts - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE