Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CMAX - Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation CMAX – Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 166 total)
  • Author

ZHC

Walker said:
    Nope. I rarely hear about potential topics in advance of the State of the City. Just throwing it out there as a potential project. 2012 is a banner year for grandiose things, and Coleman just started his 4th (and final?) term. I wouldn’t put any money on it as an announcement, but one can hope, right? ;)

yup one can always do that. Would be a pretty huge surprise for sure if he unveiled it.

johnwirtz
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Uggh, if that’s the model-no thanks. The Kansas City approach could certainly be applied to the entire COTA system but is it true BRT? Let’s model Columbus after the recognizable world’s best BRT and strive for that goal.

There’s really not an accepted definition of “true BRT.” The term is applied in lots of situations, and probably over-used.

lifeontwowheels said:

The #1 is an extremely busy route, and Cleveland Avenue is relatively narrow until you get up close to Morse Road. If the boarding process is streamlined, shelters improved, stoplight priorities are given to buses and a few other tweaks are made, there would be a lot of good functionality that comes out of the improvements regardless of whether or not there are dedicated lanes.

Kansas City’s system has been very successful.

johnwirtz
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    I get High Street is a destination, but even in discussion of light rail, I’m surprised more people don’t consider Summit or 4th as alternatives. Both have ample room and can afford to lose a lane to BRT or a light rail, while still putting their passengers in close proximity to High St.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the buses where people want to go (High St) and expect the cars passing through to divert to an alternate route (Summit/3rd and 4th)

swinzo1010
    Participant

The 2nd public involvement meeting was on this last night. I didn’t attend but followed the slideshare that COTA posted.

COTA Northeast Corridor Public Meeting #2

The slides show a recommendation for BRT in mixed traffic. No dedicated lanes. Proposed completion date of 2016.

Does anyone know if these recommendations change often? It looks like there are a few more rounds of public input and then a final recommendation.

columbusmike
    Participant

Some of the station placements are very questionable. 161 and Morse? I don’t see a large concentration of people at 161 and Morse….maybe they are counting on some new residential/mixed development?

Hopefully this is just an initial investigation and more appropriate station locations will be identified once they get further in the process.

Either way, I’m glad to see they are moving forward with the BRT. Hopefully the design phase can be shortened and it can be implemented before 2016.

jbcmh81
    Participant

A BRT without dedicated lanes is just a larger bus that’s stuck in auto traffic, meaning you can forget about the “rapid” part. Also, what about the station aspect? Are they just going to be like normal buses as well? It’s all sounding rather uninspiring.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Some of the station placements are very questionable. 161 and Morse? I don’t see a large concentration of people at 161 and Morse….maybe they are counting on some new residential/mixed development?

Or a transfer location with the existing E-W service on Morse Road?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    A BRT without dedicated lanes is just a larger bus that’s stuck in auto traffic, meaning you can forget about the “rapid” part.

Unless signals are set to give buses priority at stop lights. That can help keep them moving more quickly.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    Unless signals are set to give buses priority at stop lights. That can help keep them moving more quickly.

True, but that would not really help that much if there are cars stopped at a light in front of a bus, which is likely to happen fairly often. Unless, again, there’s a bus-only lane.

johnwirtz
    Participant

swinzo1010 said:
    The 2nd public involvement meeting was on this last night. I didn’t attend but followed the slideshare that COTA posted.

COTA Northeast Corridor Public Meeting #2

The slides show a recommendation for BRT in mixed traffic. No dedicated lanes. Proposed completion date of 2016.

Does anyone know if these recommendations change often? It looks like there are a few more rounds of public input and then a final recommendation.

Public input can and does sway these projects a lot, assuming that what the public wants is feasible and cost efficient.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:
    Or a transfer location with the existing E-W service on Morse Road?

+1, it’s probably for transfers, although I’m sure future redevelopment would be a hope (see slide 21)

johnwirtz
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Also, what about the station aspect? Are they just going to be like normal buses as well? It’s all sounding rather uninspiring.

See slide 6. Enhanced stations (whatever that means) are required, as is some kind of branding effort. A branding effort could be on a special new BRT bus or just a special paint job for a regular bus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    True, but that would not really help that much if there are cars stopped at a light in front of a bus, which is likely to happen fairly often. Unless, again, there’s a bus-only lane.

One of the slides mention that bus-only lanes can be dedicated during peak hours (similar to Downtown).

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of that system, but it could help address that issue.

Overall, I’m not sure if Cleveland Avenue is wide enough to dedicate a lane in each direction to BRT.

columbusmike
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    See slide 6. Enhanced stations (whatever that means) are required, as is some kind of branding effort. A branding effort could be on a special new BRT bus or just a special paint job for a regular bus.

Hopefully COTA moves to a color coded BRT system. If you are not from Columbus, the COTA routes can be pretty confusing….especially for getting to the main attractions (airport, downtown, OSU)

NerosNeptune
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Hopefully COTA moves to a color coded BRT system. If you are not from Columbus, the COTA routes can be pretty confusing….especially for getting to the main attractions (airport, downtown, OSU)

Color coded routes are even more confusing than numbers when you can’t see the difference between them. Everyone can differentiate a 2 from an 8.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 166 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: