Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CMAX - Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation CMAX – Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – News & Updates

• This topic has 165 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Zyro.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 166 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t think BRT always requires dedicated lanes.

Right. I suspect the COTA system on Cleveland Ave will end up looking more like Kansas City’s[/url] than like Cleveland’s if it is built.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    Right. I suspect the COTA system on Cleveland Ave will end up looking more like Kansas City’s[/url] than like Cleveland’s if it is built.

Uggh, if that’s the model-no thanks. The Kansas City approach could certainly be applied to the entire COTA system but is it true BRT? Let’s model Columbus after the recognizable world’s best BRT and strive for that goal.

bjones7
    Participant

Columbus transit (road or bus) has NEVER been a model of anything! HA! We all know that the BRT layout right now sounds way better then it will actually be.

Cole
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Uggh, if that’s the model-no thanks. The Kansas City approach could certainly be applied to the entire COTA system but is it true BRT? Let’s model Columbus after the recognizable world’s best BRT and strive for that goal.

I agree that we should strive for more, but as far as Cleveland Avenue where would the dedicated lanes go? It’s only 4-lanes wide. The Cleveland Healthline BRT appears to be 7-lane road when the bus lane is dedicated with lanes which are marked as “Bus Only.” Near the “headwaters” of the route, it’s a 5-lane road.

I think the Kansas City approach is pretty good in that it has a bus only lane during peak traffic hours, at least according to John’s link. But without a turn-only 5th lane, it would be difficult to dedicate lanes to buses during any time frame for Cleveland Avenue.

The real missed opportunity is not looking more at the #10 first with the broad street it’s on. And yeah, that’s a pun.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Cole said:
    I agree that we should strive for more, but as far as Cleveland Avenue where would the dedicated lanes go? It’s only 4-lanes wide. The Cleveland Healthline BRT appears to be 7-lane road when the bus lane is dedicated with lanes which are marked as “Bus Only.” Near the “headwaters” of the route, it’s a 5-lane road.

I think the Kansas City approach is pretty good in that it has a bus only lane during peak traffic hours, at least according to John’s link. But without a turn-only 5th lane, it would be difficult to dedicate lanes to buses during any time frame for Cleveland Avenue.

The real missed opportunity is not looking more at the #10 first with the broad street it’s on. And yeah, that’s a pun.

I guess the question becomes how is Cleveland Ave. being used currently? Is it an urban highway drivers are using as an alternative to 71? If it is, then do we want that to continue or do we want to reclaim some of that space to promote a more balance transportation network?

I just fear this will be another missed opportunity. One where we will get something nice but which lacks any real function.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I kinda like Kansas ‘ concept. But we should think about if we want to reclaim Cleveland Avenue. 4 lanes? Or 1 lane each direction with bus dedicated lanes?

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Walker said:
    The High Street issue was not one of anti-transit. It was a concern with moving transit from one street to another. I don’t think bus relocation efforts will have a big negative impact on BRT plans in the way that you’re making it sound. But I guess we’ll see as the study progresses…

I get High Street is a destination, but even in discussion of light rail, I’m surprised more people don’t consider Summit or 4th as alternatives. Both have ample room and can afford to lose a lane to BRT or a light rail, while still putting their passengers in close proximity to High St.

mrpoppinzs

It would be very easy to work on Summit or 4th. I would suggest running the buses in the opposite direction of one way traffic in a dedicated bus lane (keeps cars out). I have seen this done in Pittsburgh.

I think putting a street car on Summit would be a smart move, though I believe it has been talked about for awhile.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Would it work on 4th street? I mean that’s a major artery in car congestion. If they lost 1 or 2 lanes wouldn’t that make traffic worse, and side street’s even more packed?

leftovers

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Would it work on 4th street? I mean that’s a major artery in car congestion. If they lost 1 or 2 lanes wouldn’t that make traffic worse, and side street’s even more packed?

Fourth is mostly used as a racetrack for cars leaving downtown in the evening rush (a relatively short period). It is an alternative to already in place arteries. Traffic calming would probably be a good thing for it and the surrounding residential areas as you leave downtown. Adding a BRT or street car may give a relief to some of the congestion and aid in revitalizing the surrounding area even more.

I would also be for making Summit and 4th two way streets.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cole said:

I think the #1 is a busier route than the #10, which is why it’s being studied first.

lifeontwowheels said:
    I just fear this will be another missed opportunity. One where we will get something nice but which lacks any real function.

The #1 is an extremely busy route, and Cleveland Avenue is relatively narrow until you get up close to Morse Road. If the boarding process is streamlined, shelters improved, stoplight priorities are given to buses and a few other tweaks are made, there would be a lot of good functionality that comes out of the improvements regardless of whether or not there are dedicated lanes.

mrsgeedeck said:
    I get High Street is a destination, but even in discussion of light rail, I’m surprised more people don’t consider Summit or 4th as alternatives. Both have ample room and can afford to lose a lane to BRT or a light rail, while still putting their passengers in close proximity to High St.

I believe Fourth & Third/Summit were discussed when the old COTA FastTrax Light Rail Line was being studied. The plan was for the system to run in lanes on those streets up to 11th or 17th before cutting over to using existing railroad tracks for the rest of the northern end of the line.

Pickerington_Kyle said:

If you’re talking about Light Rail or Streetcars, they can share lanes with cars. Doesn’t have to be dedicated. Third and Fourth are major speedways through Downtown because we’ve designed them to be that way. They’re only congested during rush hour though, and underutilized as four-lane one-way streets the other 85% of the week. Losing a lane in each direction to dedicated Light Rail wouldn’t be a huge deal in my opinion. ;)

That’s all kind of a moot point for BRT though, as it appears that it would come straight down Cleveland to Broad:

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

The #1 is an extremely busy route, and Cleveland Avenue is relatively narrow until you get up close to Morse Road. If the boarding process is streamlined, shelters improved, stoplight priorities are given to buses and a few other tweaks are made, there would be a lot of good functionality that comes out of the improvements regardless of whether or not there are dedicated lanes.

Sounds like what we should be doing across the entire system. Just saying if we’re going to call this “BRT” it should live up to the models of success elsewhere.

ZHC

Walker said:

I hope so <re: High Street Streetcar project>. I also hope we’ll find out more in February:

State of the City 2012 – Feb 29

Has there been any indication it’s even a topic at State of the City Walker? This is the first suggestion I’ve heard it may still even be actively considered. If so that would pretty big surprise would it not? It’s been what 6 years or so since this project was first conceived?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels said:
    Sounds like what we should be doing across the entire system. Just saying if we’re going to call this “BRT” it should live up to the models of success elsewhere.

Agreed. But you have to take the first step before you can take steps 2 through 2000.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ZHC said:
    Has there been any indication it’s even a topic at State of the City Walker?

Nope. I rarely hear about potential topics in advance of the State of the City. Just throwing it out there as a potential project. 2012 is a banner year for grandiose things, and Coleman just started his 4th (and final?) term. I wouldn’t put any money on it as an announcement, but one can hope, right? ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 166 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION