Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CMAX - Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation CMAX – Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – News & Updates

• This topic has 165 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Zyro.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 166 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Given that it’ll barely be BRT at all, it’s hard to get offended by the branding.

Disagree. Its very likely that this BRT branding will be replicated in the future. We should accept mediocre and deliberate copies from our public institutions if we wish to excel as a city.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I immediately thought of toothpaste.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    Given that it’ll barely be BRT at all, it’s hard to get offended by the branding.

Disagree. Its very likely that this BRT branding will be replicated in the future. We should accept mediocre and deliberate copies from our public institutions if we wish to excel as a city.

What I’m saying is that the proposed BRT barely qualifies, which is a far bigger problem than the branding issue, which I agree looks lame.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Honestly CMAX in plain black Arial font would look better.. but whatever. My main issue is that this is somehow still 3 years away. I still don’t understand how it takes longer than a summer construction season to put in nicer stops and buy some buses equipped with whatever they need for signal priority, but I guess that’s why I’m not a city transit planner. It seemed like CBUS went from conception to operation within a few months, certainly less than a year once it was decided to do it?

News
    Participant

Start Date Pushed Back on Cleveland Avenue BRT, Now Called CMAX
    October 25, 2014 11:19 am – Brent Warren

COTA’s Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit project has a new name – CMAX – as well as new branding and preliminary station designs. It also has a slightly larger price tag and a delayed starting date.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/start-date-pushed-back-on-cleveland-avenue-brt-now-called-cmax-bw1

News
    Participant

PRESS RELEASE
    Thursday, February 5, 2015
    Central Ohio’s first Bus Rapid Transit line is a step closer to reality

COLUMBUS—The Central Ohio Transit Authority’s (COTA) Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project, called CMAX, has received a recommendation for a Small Starts Grant Agreement. President Obama’s Federal Fiscal Year 2016 Budget for the U.S. Department of Transportation recommends funding the project in the amount of $38 million or 80% of the estimated $47.7 million project budget.

The regional office of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) contacted COTA to offer congratulations on reaching this milestone in the effort to introduce a new mode of public transportation to central Ohio. The CMAX project, currently in the final design phase, is projected to begin operations in May 2017.

The Department of Transportation portion of the budget can be found here, with COTA’s project listed on page 12: (https://cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/FY16-BudgetHighlights.pdf).

For more information, please visit cotaBRT.com

Zyro
    Participant

I’m honestly shocked this isn’t going to get a dedicated lane. I had no idea. I honestly thought it was going to be a true BRT for months now. How incredibly disappointing.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I’m honestly shocked this isn’t going to get a dedicated lane. I had no idea. I honestly thought it was going to be a true BRT for months now. How incredibly disappointing.

It makes it somewhat unlikely that travel times will be all the different than a regular bus. It’ll still be in traffic. With all the good examples out there of BRT, this is, to me, inexcusable.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Zyro wrote:</div>

It makes it somewhat unlikely that travel times will be all the different than a regular bus. It’ll still be in traffic. With all the good examples out there of BRT, this is, to me, inexcusable.

+1 to that sentiment. Miles and miles of Cleveland Ave are two lanes in each direction with on street parking in the second lane at anytime of day besides rush hour (7-9am southbound, 4-6 northbound). It doesn’t matter how much a bus can control stop lights during the other 22 hours a day, it’ll only take one car trying to make a left and the BRT now is stuck in the queue just like any other bus or car.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I think it just goes to show that Columbus’ rather lone alternative transit operation, COTA, is ironically still concerned with auto convenience. It needs a serious change in leadership.

Zyro
    Participant

Is there any chance this could be remedied in the future? What I mean is once it’s built, is it just a matter of making the lanes bus only in the future?

News
    Participant

Here’s why COTA needs $47.7M for its rapid-transit line along Cleveland Avenue
    Apr 16, 2015, 12:51pm EDT
    Evan Weese
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

The Central Ohio Transit Authority’s planned $47.7 million rapid-transit line along Cleveland Avenue hinges on the passage of a federal transportation bill, worrying local transportation leaders that Congress will fail to approve it by the time temporary funding expires on May 31.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/04/here-s-why-cota-needs-47-7m-for-its-rapid-transit.html

heresthecasey
    Participant

It should make the bus stops look better at least, but I’m honestly not that impressed with this being the public art component that COTA decided on for this project. Really wish it was something a bit more substantial…

COTA Unveils Public Art Strategy for Cleveland Ave Bus Rapid Transit

As shown in the renderings below, COTA plans to solicit work from local artists to display on the rear windows of each of the 33 new shelters to be installed for the BRT.

Communities and neighborhoods which border the line are being invited to select themes for the artwork, solicit designs, and provide feedback and recommendations on which artists and concepts should receive final approval.

http://columbusight.com/2015/05/31/cota-unveils-public-art-strategy-for-cleveland-ave-bus-rapid-transit/

Zyro
    Participant

And they still couldn’t get dedicated lanes :\

News
    Participant

The 7 Features of a Successful BRT Station
    By Luísa Zottis and Virginia Tavares August 20, 2015

The station is the user’s gateway to the system. Acting as the face of the service, BRT stations offer citizens a host of benefits that traditional bus stops simply cannot. Indeed, stations can have a big impact on how successful a BRT system is.

Below are seven critical components of a well-designed BRT station:

http://thecityfix.com/blog/seven-features-successful-brt-station-luisa-zottis-virginia-bergamaschi-tavares/

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 166 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION