Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CMAX - Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation CMAX – Cleveland Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 166 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

MHJ said:
    Am I the only one who finds it completely inexplicable that this Cleveland Ave BRT line would stop at the Ohio Health Westerville Campus instead of jogging 3 miles to the west and stopping at Polaris? That defies logic to me. I understand that the medical center is a job center, but so is Polaris.

I assume it’s related to operating costs to provide a 3 mile extension. Cost will be related to the the number of service hours, which is determined by bus speed and frequency.

Speed-related: (6 miles per bus trip)/ (15 mph average bus speed) = 0.4 hours per bus trip

Frequency-related: [(2 buses/hour)*(14 hours/weekday)*(251 weekdays/year)]+[(1 bus/hour)*(12 hours/weekend-holiday)*(114 days/year)] = 7028 + 1368 = 8396 trips per year

(8396 trips/year)*(0.4 service hours/trip) = 3,358.4 service hours per year

(3,358.4 service hours per year)*($109.58 per service hour)= $368 K per year

I’m not sure what the ridership would be, but I’m guessing that’s fairly expensive compared to the number of new riders they might get.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Eugene_C said:
    I would wonder about the Chase/Bank One center in the area though. That seems like the kind of thing that could anchor one end of a route.

I also think this would be a good place to serve. Maybe a #2 extension or a new route connecting to the #2 and the express routes at the Crosswoods.

johnwirtz
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    It still just baffles me that this line, which isn’t even actually BRT, and as far as I can tell will require no road-changes or major construction, isn’t expected to open until 2017.

Federal funding slows down the process a lot.

bjones7
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    I also think this would be a good place to serve. Maybe a #2 extension or a new route connecting to the #2 and the express routes at the Crosswoods.

Are you talking about the purposed “all day #31 express route” ?

johnwirtz
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    Are you talking about the purposed “all day #31 express route” ?

I meant the existing #31 and #32 express routes, but an all day #31 sounds like a good idea.

heresthecasey
    Participant

For those interested, there is an upcoming public meeting regarding this project,

Everyone is invited to learn more about the proposed BRT project.

Public Open House
    Thursday, February 27, 2014
    5:30-7:30 p.m. (presentation at 6:00 p.m.)

Columbus Baptist Temple Church
    5075 Cleveland Ave.
    Columbus, OH 43231

COTA Line 1 Cleveland Local serves this facility.

For questions, comments or concerns about the project, or to be added to our mailing list for project updates, email us at [email protected].

More here, http://www.cota.com/Cleveland_Ave_BRT.aspx

heresthecasey
    Participant

COTA recently posted this video update of the project on YouTube. It contains some more details and renderings of particular amenities to be included at specific bus stops along the route,

jbcmh81
    Participant

Meh, without dedicated lanes and priority signaling, this is still just a regular bus with a bit nicer stops.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Meh, without dedicated lanes and priority signaling, this is still just a regular bus with a bit nicer stops.

I agree that it’s being significantly oversold as “rapid transit,” but the upgrades nonetheless will be a welcome improvement to bus service in the corridor.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

It will have priority signaling.

Achekov
    Participant

That was my first thought. Being on a regulars street it is no faster than a normal bus because it’s stuck in the same traffic as everyone else.

jbcmh81
    Participant

That was my first thought. Being on a regulars street it is no faster than a normal bus because it’s stuck in the same traffic as everyone else.

Yep. Even with priority signaling, without dedicated lanes, what prevents these buses from getting stuck in traffic? Priority signaling doesn’t mean anything if the bus is behind another 20 cars.

56 minutes from Downtown to Westerville seems very slow to me. Perhaps better than a standard bus, but it doesn’t scream the type of speed that BRT is supposed to be about.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Apparently COTA is considering several (quite ghastly) 1990s-era WordArt options, with which to brand our new BRT service,

http://www.cota.com/BRTpresentations.aspx

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Apparently COTA is considering several (quite ghastly) 1990s-era WordArt options, with which to brand our new BRT service,

http://www.cota.com/BRTpresentations.aspx

Kansas City MAX Brt was the model for this line according to COTA’s planning documents. Apparently the model for the branding too.

Columbus creative community PLEASE HELP! I see great branding coming out for all kinds of things, perhaps someone can mock something up to show us what it could be? An artist/branding contest for this by COTA would be great.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Given that it’ll barely be BRT at all, it’s hard to get offended by the branding.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 166 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: